The Student Room Group

How is the trapezium rule related to the intervals/strips

In several questions Ive seen it said that how many number of strips (used in the trapezium rule) will give you an exact value for the integration of the curve or how many number of strips will give you an overestimation/ underestimation. I thought the estimation was just dependent on the type of curve and the more the number of strips the closer you are to the actual integral. so it should be infinite number of strips but its a multiple choice and doesnt say infinite
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Carman3
In several questions Ive seen it said that how many number of strips (used in the trapezium rule) will give you an exact value for the integration of the curve or how many number of strips will give you an overestimation/ underestimation. I thought the estimation was just dependent on the type of curve and the more the number of strips the closer you are to the actual integral. so it should be infinite number of strips but its a multiple choice and doesnt say infinite

You're right over or under depends on the type of curve. The way calculators do integration between limits is the trapezium rule but the calculator does it so many times the difference between the actual value and value the calculator give is so small the calculator rounds up and gives you the actual value.

I guess tho the largest number of strips it gives you as a choice to be as accurate as possible.
Reply 2
Original post by will'o'wisp
You're right over or under depends on the type of curve. The way calculators do integration between limits is the trapezium rule but the calculator does it so many times the difference between the actual value and value the calculator give is so small the calculator rounds up and gives you the actual value.

I guess tho the largest number of strips it gives you as a choice to be as accurate as possible.

Look at this question:

The trapezium rule is then used to estimate

by dividing

into n equal intervals. The estimate calculated will equal theactual integral when
(a) n is a multiple of 4
(b) n is a multiple of 6
(c) n is a multiple of 8
(d) n is a multiple of 12.

The graph is also giiven but cant post that on here. Here it says the number of strips decides whether the estimate calculated will be the actual integral
Original post by Carman3
Look at this question:

The trapezium rule is then used to estimate

by dividing

into n equal intervals. The estimate calculated will equal theactual integral when
(a) n is a multiple of 4
(b) n is a multiple of 6
(c) n is a multiple of 8
(d) n is a multiple of 12.

The graph is also giiven but cant post that on here. Here it says the number of strips decides whether the estimate calculated will be the actual integral

Sorry dude, i've seen my friend do this question i think and we together never finished it but he went off got some help and finished it with a teacher so i never saw how to complete this question on the MAT

I'm sure @ghostwalker or @notnek can help :biggrin:
Original post by will'o'wisp

I'm sure @ghostwalker or @notnek can help :biggrin:

Not when there's only half the question, but a bit of googling...
https://undergroundmathematics.org/introducing-calculus/r5642
Original post by ghostwalker
Not when there's only half the question, but a bit of googling...
https://undergroundmathematics.org/introducing-calculus/r5642

That's the one :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest