The Student Room Group

Where can I apply for IR ?

Hi everyone!
I'm an international student from France/Paris and I will be sending my application to study IR soon. I've already selected 3 universities, King's College, St Andrews and Exeter. I was also thinking about applying to Warwick for politics/IR but that course doesn't interest me so much and my personal statement would't be as relevant. An other possibility would be LSE but do I really stand a chance ?Hard to say... and I kind of need to put all the odds on my side so that I can study in the UK.
I've read somewhere that the University of Edinburgh has a very good reputation but is hard to get in as Scottish unis, being "public" are more and more popular. Would it be relevant to ask for 2 scottish unis then ?
Any ideas, please ? I can't study IR in France as a bachelor degree so I would really appreciate your help and advices for the UK !

Cheers
Quitterie
Original post by quitteriedtr
Hi everyone!
I'm an international student from France/Paris and I will be sending my application to study IR soon. I've already selected 3 universities, King's College, St Andrews and Exeter. I was also thinking about applying to Warwick for politics/IR but that course doesn't interest me so much and my personal statement would't be as relevant. An other possibility would be LSE but do I really stand a chance ?Hard to say... and I kind of need to put all the odds on my side so that I can study in the UK.
I've read somewhere that the University of Edinburgh has a very good reputation but is hard to get in as Scottish unis, being "public" are more and more popular. Would it be relevant to ask for 2 scottish unis then ?
Any ideas, please ? I can't study IR in France as a bachelor degree so I would really appreciate your help and advices for the UK !

Cheers
Quitterie

I'm not sure what you mean by "public", nearly all British universities are public. If you're interested in LSE and Edinburgh then you should apply. I don't think universities in Scotland are any harder to get into than those in England.

IR is a big subject, do you have any special/regional interests? Would you like to learn a new language as part of your degree?
Original post by Snufkin
I don't think universities in Scotland are any harder to get into than those in England.

not for students from England but very possibly for students from the EU (who, like Scottish students, will pay no fees: is what he means by "public"?).
Original post by Snufkin
I'm not sure what you mean by "public", nearly all British universities are public. If you're interested in LSE and Edinburgh then you should apply. I don't think universities in Scotland are any harder to get into than those in England.

IR is a big subject, do you have any special/regional interests? Would you like to learn a new language as part of your degree?

The poster is correct.

Scottish Universities have quotas for the number of funded places available for Scottish/EU applicants so it is more difficult to get an offer from a Scottish University if you are Scottish/EU as opposed to if you were from the rUK or International.

Since the Scottish Government funds the 'free tuition' policy in Scotland, Scottish universities only have a certain number of places for Scottish/EU students and are fined for exceeding that quota. Places aren't uncapped like they are in England.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes, that was what I was talking about (in France public education only costs a few hundreds, hence the comparison:smile:)
Alright so what do you think I should do ? Try Edinburgh anyway?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending