The Student Room Group

Racist newspaper stories are permanently damaging your brain, study finds

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
it all makes sense now... we think the Nazis were the bad guys because of all the bad press and movies portraying them as evil murderers.
I cant stand bloody Kitils always coming to our country and stealing out jobs. I mean I dont hate all of them one of my friends is a Kitil but they should really stay in their own country.
Original post by Mathemagicien

Spiers also made a point about his research in the context of Islamophobia: ‘When you look at Islam, for example, there’s so many more negative stories than positive ones and that will build up over time.'

He is rather missing the point that you don't need negative stories about Islam to find out what a dangerous ideology it is; you just need to read the Koran.
Reply 4
University College London neuroscientist Hugo Spiers gathered 22 volunteers and scanned their brains while they were told about two fictitious groups of people the Kitils and the Pellums.

The two main groups were secretly assigned as ‘good’ (Pellums) and ‘bad’ (Kitils) and two thirds of the information provided to the participants fit that stereotype and one third did not.

Brain scans revealed that activity in the brain matched the growing prejudice they felt towards a certain group.

The negative groups become treated as more and more negative. Worse than the equivalent for the positive groups.

Spiers also made a point about his research in the context of Islamophobia: ‘When you look at Islam, for example, there’s so many more negative stories than positive ones and that will build up over time.'

--

So, clear proof that racist articles cause mental retardation. It is clearly a national health issue. We must ban racist articles before the entire population succumbs to mental retardation.

Oh, but wait a minute... doesn't this study just show that people associate bad things with a certain group, if given information associating bad things with that group? How does that justify the headline?
"People view people who do bad stuff negatively" shock!

I think you may have missed something from the research.
If the bulk of the information about one group was negative but was also presented as fact, with no indication that the information was not true, then of course the subjects are going to view them more negatively that the positive group. Even being regarded proportionately more negatively is not surprising as people tend to dislike bad behaviour more than they like good behaviour - probably because good behaviour is kind of expected.

And how does this relate to racism? "Racist" articles, by definition, are identifiable as untrue, so do not correspond to the study parameters.

Also, the study made no mention of any damage to the brain.

Still, nice try!
Ban negative articles about Neo Nazis and homophobes.
FACT CHECK - Partially True
Reply 7
nice profile pic
Reply 8
Original post by AperfectBalance
I cant stand bloody Kitils always coming to our country and stealing out jobs. I mean I dont hate all of them one of my friends is a Kitil but they should really stay in their own country.

those Kitils you read about are not real Kitils, real Kitilism means peace and its the best way , didnt you know that?
Reply 9
Except, unlike Islam, neo-Nazis aren't a race,

hmmm, way to make yourself sound stupid
Reply 10
Except, unlike Islam, neo-Nazis aren't a race, so negative articles about neo-Nazis aren't racism.
Neo Nazis are exactly as much of a racial group as Islam.

Quick test - is Christianity a race?
This is a precis from the indy100 (that bastion of balanced high quality reporting :lol:) : https://www.indy100.com/article/racist-stories-about-migrants-are-damaging-your-brain-7393121

This is the actual paper, but I could only access the abstract:

http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1162/jocn_a_01056?journalCode=jocn#.WBsTVi2DwdU

I can't see anything about "permanently damage" at all. The study is about brain activity, not irreversible structural changes. It seems that some part of the brain is more active when judging whether you like some group, and others parts when an individual doesn't fit the group average. Very normal (boring?) neuroscience research, nothing like the article headline.
It'd be more groundbreaking if they were being prejudiced and on their mri's they had nothing but thin air... There's brain a ctivity with every thought/action we make as human beings.

So either you haven't explained the results or you have mental retardation :h:
Original post by Little Popcorns
It'd be more groundbreaking if they were being prejudiced and on their mri's they had nothing but thin air... There's brain a ctivity with every thought/action we make as human beings.

So either you haven't explained the results or you have mental retardation :h:

Well, exactly. That's my issue with so many neuroscience studies. Of course there will be some differential brain activity with some task. You either detect it or you don't.

Maybe you have to be retarded to think that's interesting in and of itself...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending