The Student Room Group

anyway to find out where news sites like The Guardian get their sources from?

I found useful information for my essay on The Guardian, but I am concerned about referencing it since it is a news site. Is there a way to locate the source of the information to reference it instead?
Original post by KamS24
I found useful information for my essay on The Guardian, but I am concerned about referencing it since it is a news site. Is there a way to locate the source of the information to reference it instead?

Which article?
Original post by KamS24

@KamS24

What is your essay about?

Normally, you should be referencing academic journals when it comes to university assignments though depending on what you are studying/the topic for the essay then it might be acceptable e.g. a media assignment.

Normally when it comes to "references' online newspapers tend to hyperlink (though sometimes it only takes you to another article that they have published, but it may lead you closer to the original source).

You could look up any charities or organisations that are mentioned which might help you locate any statistics they have used.

It might also be an idea to talk a librarian who might be able to direct you to a useful academic database or help you find search terms which help you generate more relevant results.

Hope that helps!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 3
Generally speaking, things published in a 'quality' national newspaper like The Guardian can usually be regarded as reliable as they are written by professionally-regulated journalists and newspaper articles are also copy-edited, which might sometimes involve fact-checking . Journalists don't have to state all their sources like academics do (but they do need to be able to prove them later, if anyone questions the validity of their work).

If you are using a newsaper article as a short cut to factual information that it otherwise freely available in peer-reviewed academic texts in your field of study, then the person marking your work might see this as corner-cutting and mark you down appropriately. So your best bet is to run a Google Scholar search to see if you can track down an alternative source.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by University of Huddersfield
@KamS24

What is your essay about?

Normally, you should be referencing academic journals when it comes to university assignments though depending on what you are studying/the topic for the essay then it might be acceptable e.g. a media assignment.

Normally when it comes to "references' online newspapers tend to hyperlink (though sometimes it only takes you to another article that they have published, but it may lead you closer to the original source).

You could look up any charities or organisations that are mentioned which might help you locate any statistics they have used.

It might also be an idea to talk a librarian who might be able to direct you to a useful academic database or help you find search terms which help you generate more relevant results.

Hope that helps!

All the best,

i appreciate the response, my essay is about the fear of crime across the uk
Reply 7
In this case, the journalist has sourced their factual data on crime stats, making it easy for you to track the original source and use them. It would be easier to use the article, I get that, but that's not how academic research and writing works.
Original post by cheadle
In this case, the journalist has sourced their factual data on crime stats, making it easy for you to track the original source and use them. It would be easier to use the article, I get that, but that's not how academic research and writing works.

^ This.
Original post by KamS24
i appreciate the response, my essay is about the fear of crime across the uk

@KamS24

As said below, it might be worthwhile to try using statistics or surveys done by charities for your essay e.g. anti-Semitism has risen recently and the Community Security Trust (CST) regularly monitors crime and the fear of hate crime among the Jewish community.

If your lecturers use newspaper articles to support their material, then it should be fine for you to do the same. If you choose to use anti-Semitism as an example, you could use The Jewish Chronicle.

Finally, if you are looking for particular crime stories, the Metropolitan Police website might be useful. You could also try checking out the Office for National Statistics or the Government's website for other statistics.

Hope that helps.

All the best,

(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending