The Student Room Group

House contract - advice

I rent a house with one other person and the contract has no specified clause regarding guests, only that I am the tenant and I am not allowed to sublet, etc. My partner has been staying overnight for a while and my housemate has an unreasonable problem with it as we have done nothing to disturb her. What can I do in this situation as I believe she’s being racist against my partner? Am I legally allowed to have him in the house if there’s no clause about guests? He doesn’t live here permanently, he has his own house but we want to spend time together.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I rent a house with one other person and the contract has no specified clause regarding guests, only that I am the tenant and I am not allowed to sublet, etc. My partner has been staying overnight for a while and my housemate has an unreasonable problem with it as we have done nothing to disturb her. What can I do in this situation as I believe she’s being racist against my partner? Am I legally allowed to have him in the house if there’s no clause about guests? He doesn’t live here permanently, he has his own house but we want to spend time together.

If there is nothing in the clause against this then that means legally u are allowed to do that and if this individual is being racist to ur partner , u should record etc take evidence of that and report them because that is not ok and meanwhile find a different apartment to rent or stay with ur partner...u could also confront this person and ask what their issue is by having a friendly convo? sorry...hope this helps
Original post by Anonymous

How many nights a week does he stay over?
Your housemate has the right to use the common areas, slop around in her dressing gown if she likes and probably feels like they are being shut out if you and your partner are cosying up on the sofa etc.
What's the situation with bills? Higher water/fuel use if partner is showering... Do they have a set of keys - security issues could be relevant.

From a Landlord's position you are potentially changing the property into a House of Multiple Occupation by having 3 non-related people living there using shared facilities. That comes with a whole raft of legislation that they never signed-up for.
If you want to shack up with your partner, give notice on your current place and move in, otherwise respect the fact that it's incredibly unlikely to be anything to do with race, and more to do with the fact that that you're so focused on the downsides of having to share your accommodation.
Because that is a house shared among you and them. You don't own it and they have every right to have an opinion about excessive guest stay-over.
Reply 5
You can usefully point to the fact that there are no rules, but if your housemate can argue that this affects their use of the shared areas then I imagine they have grounds for complaint. I think that for more than occasional stop overs, arrangements with guests are best agreed with everyone living there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending