The Student Room Group

Is a crack addict actually crazy?

Everyone says oh they’re such a crackhead’ but is someone who is actually addicted to this drug so signs of craziness?
Reply 1
There is only one thing that is of interest to a drug addict and that is where the next "drug fix" is coming from.
Many dont have enough money to buy each time so resort to crime to fund their habit.
When they get desperate enough that it becomes a matter of life or death (in their head) they will do anything it takes to get the next fix.
Hence the term "crack head" as actually the brain no longer functions likes a sensible person.

Crack head is often used to refer to someone on crack but commonly used for any drug addict.
Original post by Googley2
There is only one thing that is of interest to a drug addict and that is where the next "drug fix" is coming from.
Many dont have enough money to buy each time so resort to crime to fund their habit.
When they get desperate enough that it becomes a matter of life or death (in their head) they will do anything it takes to get the next fix.
Hence the term "crack head" as actually the brain no longer functions likes a sensible person.

Crack head is often used to refer to someone on crack but commonly used for any drug addict.

Nothing you’ve said is strictly incorrect but it feels like an incredibly stereotypical description of addiction, just based of the way it’s portrayed in the media.

Addiction is a mental illness and sure, constant drug highjacks normal brain function so people develop beliefs not based in reality;
But just like any other illness, the way symptoms manifest vary massively, as does the severity. Anyone can struggle with a drug addiction, there are many ‘functional’ addicts that are capable of holding down a job, affording their habit and being a trustworthy friend and family member. Stigma causes a great deal of damage, the assumption that everyone with that illness is violent, has no mortal principles and participates in criminal behaviour makes people too afraid and ashamed to ask for help.It’s not a moral failing, It’s a coping mechanism, trauma response, consequence of other mental illnesses or consequence of poverty.
Reply 3
Original post by SadMothCreature
Nothing you’ve said is strictly incorrect but it feels like an incredibly stereotypical description of addiction, just based of the way it’s portrayed in the media.

Addiction is a mental illness and sure, constant drug highjacks normal brain function so people develop beliefs not based in reality;
But just like any other illness, the way symptoms manifest vary massively, as does the severity. Anyone can struggle with a drug addiction, there are many ‘functional’ addicts that are capable of holding down a job, affording their habit and being a trustworthy friend and family member. Stigma causes a great deal of damage, the assumption that everyone with that illness is violent, has no mortal principles and participates in criminal behaviour makes people too afraid and ashamed to ask for help.It’s not a moral failing, It’s a coping mechanism, trauma response, consequence of other mental illnesses or consequence of poverty.

Unfortunataely my experience is nothing from the media but having someone close to me who has destroyed so many lives by their constant drug addiction for some 20 years now, we have all been victims of the abuse they deal out.
Original post by Googley2
Unfortunataely my experience is nothing from the media but having someone close to me who has destroyed so many lives by their constant drug addiction for some 20 years now, we have all been victims of the abuse they deal out.

I’m very sorry to hear that.

My aim was to avoid over sharing personal details but i’ll just do a light overview of my own experiences for the sake of context. There’s a lot of addiction, trauma and mental illness in my family. Someone died of an OD, my Mum is an alcoholic with several other behavioural addictions but it’s my Dad (with no addiction but a bunch of other mental illnesses and general issues) that’s very abusive. My Mum had all the responsibility of raising me, picking up the pieces, protecting me, providing access to good education, love, stability and encouragement to discover my passions. She was also the first to notice my mental illness and took initiative in finding me treatment.

I’ve struggled with c***ine/h**oin addiction (now in recovery) throughout uni, I knew it’d be tough for anyone I trusted enough to tell but I underestimated the fallout . So many people (close friends) cut me out immediately upon finding out.

There were a couple of people with trauma as a result of an addict in their family. I’m completely respectful of this, and would do anything possible to not be triggering. But they projected all the hurt these other people caused onto me, deciding I was capable of physical assault, would steal if given the chance and being kind just meant manipulation.

I’m sympathetic and don’t blame them but it all really really hurt me, reinforcing my self hatred, making me feel like the word was better without me. Nothing there that would compel a person to recover.

My point is just that you can’t generalise, there are people with depression or cancer that treat people horribly but everyone knows that says more about the person that the condition.
Reply 5
{I’ve struggled with c***ine/h**oin addiction (now in recovery) throughout uni, I knew it’d be tough for anyone I trusted enough to tell but I underestimated the fallout . So many people (close friends) cut me out immediately upon finding out.} This is total normal behaviour and its what must happen. There is a saying in life "What you mix with is what you become". Everyone hears the horror stories of what happens to the families/friends of addicts.

I am so happy to hear that you are in recovery now, I applaud you for this and hope so much that you can be successful and stay away for ALL addictive behaviour for the rest of your life. You are still young enough to learn from this and move forward. You have been very brave to get this far, well done to you. Hopefully you are now recovering before it got too bad, unfortunately my experience is the worst possible that you wont even expect of family members.

Please stay strong, look forward and alternative therapies are great for helping to recover as well, it doesnt all have to be pill popping.

Wish you all the best, I truly do, make it your motto to say BEEN THERE DONE THAT NEVER AGAIN!!

Quick Reply

Latest