The Student Room Group

What will become of the liberal left?

Well, well, well, liberals... not so smug now are we? That'll teach you not to undermine the power of the right-wing.

So with the Labour party well on its way into the dustbin, an embarrassing, pitiful defeat for the Democrats last night, and most of Europe predicted to come up trumps for the far-right, what on Earth will those on the left do to get out of all this mess that they've caused?

Tell us, lefties, what are you going to do to ensure liberalism isn't consigned to the history books?

If you can't beat us, join us, liberals. There's still plenty of space on the far-right train for you so I suggest you hop on before it well and truly leaves you behind.
Reply 1
This troll is hilarious :rofl: Keep going. I enjoy your posts :smile:
"anyone who I dont agree with is a troll"
They'll just moan about it on Facebook/Twitter/The Guardian, think everyone else agrees with them, and will be shocked again when something similar happens in a future election.
I mean Hillary did get more raw votes, the electoral college system was just in your favour. You didn't "pitifully defeat" the liberals.
Original post by george_c00per
I mean Hillary did get more raw votes, the electoral college system was just in your favour. You didn't "pitifully defeat" the liberals.

This is very true.
Reply 6

Exactly. I'm not sure what kind of overwhelmign victories the right think they're making, since the EU leave only came down to <2%, the difference between Hillary and Trump's votes was something like 0.2%, and the "far right" are nowhere near "victoriously" predicted in polls. In the Austrian presidential election, the outcome is expected to be 49 to 51%, in Germany the AfD are only polling at 20% which is over 20% behind the CDU/CSU, in France the National Front are polled at almost the same number as the centre-right Republicans etc. etc.

There is no overwhelming victory. The only thing that has happened, is that countries are being metaphorically divided in half. Come back and post this thread when there actually are overwhelming victories.
Original post by #ChaosKass
Well, well, well, liberals... not so smug now are we? That'll teach you not to undermine the power of the right-wing.

So with the Labour party well on its way into the dustbin, an embarrassing, pitiful defeat for the Democrats last night, and most of Europe predicted to come up trumps for the far-right, what on Earth will those on the left do to get out of all this mess that they've caused?

Tell us, lefties, what are you going to do to ensure liberalism isn't consigned to the history books?

If you can't beat us, join us, liberals. There's still plenty of space on the far-right train for you so I suggest you hop on before it well and truly leaves you behind.

Oh I know! Isn't it just fantastic?! Soon, there will be a second Holocaust, slavery will be re-introduced, gay rights will be abolished, immigrants will be deported, walls will be built, and we'll all live in a White utopia! Those whiny millennials thinking they deserve life on a plate will be FORCED to work long and hard to compensate for their laziness and lack of gratitude.

All public healthcare will be abolished, and that is such a good thing because it will teach people that they actually have to work to see a doctor! Been made redundant? Can't find a job? Who cares... It's just natural selection aka eugenics.

Rejoice! Rejoice! We're just going further and further and fuhrer right! Those politically correct social justice warriors have had their day, and now the glorious right will reign forever. Muhahaha!

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8

Yes ofc the system was against her when she loses , regardless if she got more raw votes , raw votes dont win you the electoral collage and the difference in raw votes vs difference in electoral votes is nothing worth bragging about.
Reply 9
Not much. It'll rationalise, regroup and go again. Some will bury their heads the sand (just as some right wingers have done whenever they've lost an election), and others will get on with being an effective opposition (just as some right wingers have done, etc etc).

The cycle hasn't been broken. If anything it's been maintained.

Original post by notmypresident

Well, OP actually is a troll, so in this case that statement is moot.
Original post by Mekkiii
Yes ofc the system was against her when she loses , regardless if she got more raw votes , raw votes dont win you the electoral collage and the difference in raw votes vs difference in electoral votes is nothing worth bragging about.

I know that, but OP is acting as if Trump supporters massively outnumbered the Clinton supporters in a supposed "liberal purge". The "power of the right-wing" is more or less equal to the power of the left wing.
Original post by notmypresident

Have you seen this user's posts? Quite clearly the highest calibre of subtle trollage with political motivations.

:rofl:

So I assume you think UKIP were hard done to in the 2015 general election then?

Hate the player, not the game...

I think it is a wake up call to the left that smearing Facebook/Twitter/the internet with ''My opponent is an idiot. Ergo anyone who is considering voting for him is also an idiot" posts doesn't win new votes. It just promotes backslapping and complacency.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending