The Student Room Group

Lee Anderson defects to reform

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2024/03/11/andersons-defection-is-a-wake-up-call/

what are your guy's thoughts on this?

could this show a trend where more "right-wing" conservatives defect to reform and cause further damage to the Tories?

what do you think are the wider implications of this?

could we see reform as a dominant right-wing party, and see something similar with regards to what happened with the progressive conservatives?
The disreputable Three Party Lee defecting to Reform was neither surprising or as seismic as has been made out in some sections of the media. He is just a grifter who craves attention and will likely lose his seat in the upcoming General Election.

There is certainly drift in the Conservative Party towards lowbrow right wing populism. Weather this is part of a long-term trend aping what we've seen in some other countries or just the Conservatives trying to create wedge issues because they've completely lost on issues like the economy and public services remain to be seen. Modelling based on current polling suggests One Nation Tories will be the biggest block come the next Parliament, with most of the 2019 Brexit red wall intake getting obliterated.
I love that him and Galloway need to sit together, I hope they're miserable and take the stress home with them :p:
I hope this splits the Conservatives even further and enables a smooth Labour victory come the next election.

Who knows, maybe the Conservatives will be so thoroughly decimated that they will disolve as a party altogether.
Original post by SHallowvale
I hope this splits the Conservatives even further and enables a smooth Labour victory come the next election.

Who knows, maybe the Conservatives will be so thoroughly decimated that they will disolve as a party altogether.

A part of me would love to see Labour in power then have Lib Dems or Reform as the opposition as opposed to the Conservatives, could be interesting in my opinion.
Lee Anderson defecting to Reform was the most predictable thing in modern political history. I just find it hilarious how just 3 weeks ago he was bad mouthing Reform and calling their leader a “pound shop Nigel Farage”. In all seriousness though, Reform could genuinely become the main party on the right along with the one nation conservatives (the more liberal members of the Conservative party). It seems like it’s getting more and more likely that the Conservative party will split up as they literally cannot agree on anything right now. If trends seen in parts of Europe follow here, then the country could eventually get fed up and shift further right giving Reform a chance to win many seats. Can’t see it happening in this election but possibly in 5 years time after Labour inevitably mess up the country just like the Conservatives did (as they are both essentially the same thing now).
Original post by jacksmith23
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2024/03/11/andersons-defection-is-a-wake-up-call/
what are your guy's thoughts on this?
could this show a trend where more "right-wing" conservatives defect to reform and cause further damage to the Tories?
what do you think are the wider implications of this?
could we see reform as a dominant right-wing party, and see something similar with regards to what happened with the progressive conservatives?
Tice is no Farrage so Reform won't become the dominant right wing party any time soon. Lots of Reform voters or potential voters probably don't even consider themselves right wing. They are against mass immigration and pro being tough on crime, for example, but they're not right wing economically. They sit on a quadrant on the political compass which is almost entirety ignored by the main parties (economically left, socially right). Reform will split the Tory vote in the red wall - and possibly other places too - which will assist Labour victories in those seats, but I don't expect many, if any, Reform MPs.
Original post by Smack
Tice is no Farrage so Reform won't become the dominant right wing party any time soon. Lots of Reform voters or potential voters probably don't even consider themselves right wing. They are against mass immigration and pro being tough on crime, for example, but they're not right wing economically. They sit on a quadrant on the political compass which is almost entirety ignored by the main parties (economically left, socially right). Reform will split the Tory vote in the red wall - and possibly other places too - which will assist Labour victories in those seats, but I don't expect many, if any, Reform MPs.
To be honest a lot of the north of England is economically left but socially right wing. They tend to vote Labour because they prioritise economic policy over social policy.
Looks like the Reform garbage collection point is getting very popular as a dump for half the creeps and has-beens that have stood for Parliament.

With a bit of luck Anderson won't be the last medium to high level profile figure to leave a very slimy trail to Reform's doorway.

Ideally there'll also be: Abbott, Batten, Bridgen, Bolton, Tonge, Ali, Callinicos, Chaytor, Conway, Conibear, Corbyn, Clarke, Choudhury, Hanningfield, Taylor, Hamilton, Huq, Huhne, Feinstein, Galloway, Livingstone, O'Mara, MacShane, Mendick, Morrice, Morley, Mountford, Rahman, Shah, Walker, Wadsworth and Wimborne-Idrissi.
That would make a wonderful use of Britain's most fashionable political dustbin for the next 1-10 years.
Original post by Gazpacho.
The disreputable Three Party Lee defecting to Reform was neither surprising or as seismic as has been made out in some sections of the media. He is just a grifter who craves attention and will likely lose his seat in the upcoming General Election.
There is certainly drift in the Conservative Party towards lowbrow right wing populism. Weather this is part of a long-term trend aping what we've seen in some other countries or just the Conservatives trying to create wedge issues because they've completely lost on issues like the economy and public services remain to be seen. Modelling based on current polling suggests One Nation Tories will be the biggest block come the next Parliament, with most of the 2019 Brexit red wall intake getting obliterated.

lee is a guy who was pretty big on making the labour wall collapse I would say, he is a senior tory politician, while he himself won't amount to much, the issue at hand is if this could spark more defectors in the conservative part such as Liz Truss. the right wing populism could mean a split in the party, or maybe just join reform.

i mean what else can you do as the conservative party. your done essentially.
Original post by Bo77 Tman
To be honest a lot of the north of England is economically left but socially right wing. They tend to vote Labour because they prioritise economic policy over social policy.

Not just the North of England, I reckon the socially right, economically left is one of, possibly even the, most common positions held. I also reckon it's one of the reasons why there is so much apathy towards politics currently: so many people feel that no-one fully represents them. The socially right, economically left quadrant is essentially ignored by mainstream politics. The Tories are going to revert back to being full of hedge-fund types so they can duke it out with the Lib Dems for the blue wall, but this will effectively sacrifice the red wall. Yet hardly anyone is actually enthusiastic for Labour either - to so many people they (Labour and Tory) are effectively two cheeks of the same arse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending