The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lewishier
Anyone know when Edinburgh start giving out offers?

Apparently not until march, but I hope earlier

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by esoryma

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't waittt thattt longg hahaha :dong:
Original post by esoryma

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whattttttttttt thats half a year away.......
Hi there,
I called Edinburgh before applying and told them my stats (7A* 3A, predicted 3A* 2A, strong PS and reference, Band 1 SJT and oops 610 avg UKCAT)
They said that they consider the applicant as a whole, and a weak UKCAT doesn't necessarily rule you out (they didn't say anything about a points system...). So I applied. But after discovering the points system on this thread today I'm beginning to despair about Edinburgh... :frown: Do you think I still have even a sliver of a chance?
Thank you x
Original post by Lewishier
Whattttttttttt thats half a year away.......

From January onwards, they'll start sending out rejections from the bottom of the pile upwards. So it's really just a 'no news is good news' situation. This goes all the way into early march when offers are given out.
Original post by Gwenog_quidditch
Hi there,
I called Edinburgh before applying and told them my stats (7A* 3A, predicted 3A* 2A, strong PS and reference, Band 1 SJT and oops 610 avg UKCAT)
They said that they consider the applicant as a whole, and a weak UKCAT doesn't necessarily rule you out (they didn't say anything about a points system...). So I applied. But after discovering the points system on this thread today I'm beginning to despair about Edinburgh... :frown: Do you think I still have even a sliver of a chance?
Thank you x

The UKCAT will disadvantage you a fair bit. With your GCSEs also not above the 7A*s threshold it will be difficult but it all depends on your competition this year.
Original post by studentsixth
From January onwards, they'll start sending out rejections from the bottom of the pile upwards. So it's really just a 'no news is good news' situation. This goes all the way into early march when offers are given out.

The head of medic admissions at my school says that the entire time... No news is good news.
Original post by Sunshine and rainbows unicorns
"A Levels: AAA in Upper Sixth including Chemistry, plus Grade B at AS level in a fourth subject. A Levels must include Chemistry and one of Biology, Mathematics or Physics. Biology at AS Level required as minimum. For both AS and A Level, only one of Mathematics or Further Mathematics will be considered. Human Biology may replace Biology but General Studies will not be considered. GCSEs: Grade B in Biology, Chemistry, English, Mathematics. Double Award combined sciences or equivalent at Grade BB may replace GCSE grades in sciences. Additional Applied Science and Applied Science will not be accepted. All examination grades must be obtained at the first attempt of each subject. Those applying with resit qualifications (other than two GCE AS Level modules) will not be entered into the selection system unless under very exceptional circumstances (for which verified evidence has been provided prior to UCAS application). "
This is straight from the website so I think you meet the minimum entry requirements. However keep in mind that Edinburgh cares a LOT about your academic results, and grade 50% of your application solely based on your results + predicted grades, so you might be at an disadvantage to other applicants, but you can make up for that with an amazing UKCAT, personal statement and references. Hope this helped.

Hi, do they take into account AS? If my GCSE where weaker but got amazing ASs, will it hel?
Original post by Andreajpa
Hi, do they take into account AS? If my GCSE where weaker but got amazing ASs, will it hel?

No, I'm afraid not, their criteria involve GCSE scoring, at least in part, so AS results will not compensate
Reply 189
Just wondering, but does anyone know how badly a small spelling mistake on your ps would affect your scoring for that section (Pursue spelt as persue)?. As soon as i discovered the mistake i immediately emailed the university and apologised :frown:
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
Just wondering, but does anyone know how badly a small spelling mistake on your ps would affect your scoring for that section (Pursue spelt as persue)?. As soon as i discovered the mistake i immediately emailed the university and apologised :frown:

I don't know, but I imagine it's not too significant, they know we're only human

Posted from TSR Mobile

They probably won't even notice and if they do, it shouldn't make too much of a difference if it's an isolated error.
Does anyone know how they score the personal statement?
Reply 193
Does anyone know roughly what point score you would need to get an offer? I hear some people saying its as high as 37/40, but looking at the statistics on page 14: http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files//mbchb_handbook_final.pdf
We see poeple on the 4th-7th decile getting offers, which would equate to someone getting an offer with a score of 33/40 if everything else was 100%.

Reply 194
Oh wait ^^ was UKCAT valued less back in 2015?

And these may be LEAPS applicants.....?

It was less weighted before, but I think that was 2013. 2014 onwards has been reasonably the same scoring system.
Does anyone know roughly what point score you would need to get an offer? I hear some people saying its as high as 37/40, but looking at the statistics on page 14: http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files//mbchb_handbook_final.pdf
We see poeple on the 4th-7th decile getting offers, which would equate to someone getting an offer with a score of 33/40 if everything else was 100%.

That's because of LEAPS and other services that help disadvantaged candidates get places.
Reply 198
Original post by Asklepios
It was less weighted before, but I think that was 2013. 2014 onwards has been reasonably the same scoring system.

Not sure how to reply to 3 messages, but thanks for the help everyone! Just picked the one in the middle :P
Reply 199
Just one last question :P
I come from a sixth form where their grades are below the national average. I know that Bristol, because of this, give us AAB offers rather than AAA offers. On the edinburgh guide, it states: "Other educational or geographic contextual factors such as educational or geographic
disadvantage will have bonus points awarded where appropriate but for no more than 10% of the scoring".

Could this apply regarding my schooling situation, or is this more for very disadvantaged kids (I.e. School is in the bottom 20%)?

Latest

Trending

Trending