The Student Room Group

Creative Writing A Level?

Has anyone done Creative Writing A Level? What's it like? Did you enjoy it? Is it a "soft" subject?
You haven't had any replies yet, so you might find more information by searching "A level Creative Writing" in the search box (top right). I don't think it's a soft subject per se, just a fairly new one which not many people have any experience with.
Reply 2
Original post by nathangeorge99
Has anyone done Creative Writing A Level? What's it like? Did you enjoy it? Is it a "soft" subject?

I am in year 13 Creative Writing and really enjoying it! If you love reading, or are willing to be committed to reading, this course is perfect, as you have to make lots of references in commentaries etc. Also, you have to be willing to share your ideas with others, reading for constructive criticism but also compliments - everyone is really lovely.
Sorry to say, but Creative Writing is the ultimate 'soft' subject. A lot of universities will not accept it as an A level, or will only accept it as a fourth A level (much like General studies). If you're thinking of taking it to form part of a university offer, then you can pretty much rule out a competitive application to any decent uni.

Creative Writing is more of a leisure activity than an academic pursuit (English Lit would be the choice there). So by all means do it if you want to and find it enjoyable, but be aware of its status.
Look up Universities you want to attend, and look at if Creative writing A Level is a requirement. Also some unis have preferred subjects and might see it as a "soft option". But ultimately it is depending on which Uni you choose to apply to.
Original post by Reality Check
Sorry to say, but Creative Writing is the ultimate 'soft' subject. A lot of universities will not accept it as an A level, or will only accept it as a fourth A level (much like General studies). If you're thinking of taking it to form part of a university offer, then you can pretty much rule out a competitive application to any decent uni.

How do you know? :erm: Whilst some universities do encourage applicants to study traditional subjects, having one so-called 'soft' subject is perfectly fine. I know lots of people who got into the best universities with subjects not dissimilar to creative writing, and yes, they did form part of their offer.
Original post by nathangeorge99

Don't worry about so called 'soft subjects' if you're doing two other facilitating ones. For example, if you did history, English lit, or perhaps Geography alongside it, you wouldn't have any problems doing it. I do have a friend however who was turned down from Edinburgh as she did this course and some unis can be picky however providing you do 2/3 facilitating subjects you should be okay!
Original post by Snufkin
How do you know? :erm: Whilst some universities do encourage applicants to study traditional subjects, having one so-called 'soft' subject is perfectly fine. I know lots of people who got into the best universities with subjects not dissimilar to creative writing, and yes, they did form part of their offer.

How do I know? Because I can use Google! I also do not know of a single person at my university who had studied a leisure course such as Creative Writing and had been offered a place.

More to the point, Creative Writing A level cannot even be redeveloped for the new A level specifications - see this announcement:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/english/as-and-a-level/creative-writing-2750
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check
How do I know? Because I can use Google! I also do not know of a single person at my university who had studied a leisure course such as Creative Writing and had been offered a place.

More to the point, Creative Writing A level cannot even be redeveloped for the new A level specifications - see this announcement:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/english/as-and-a-level/creative-writing-2750

There's a lot of rubbish on Google. The government deciding that creative writing can't be redeveloped is irrelevant; the government does not dictate admission policy at universities. As I say, it isn't uncommon for even the best universities to accept students with so-called soft subjects - including subjects that are due to be withdrawn, so I don't think you should say creative writing will only be accepted as a fourth A level, that simply isn't true.
Original post by Snufkin
There's a lot of rubbish on Google. The government deciding that creative writing can't be redeveloped is irrelevant; the government does not dictate admission policy at universities. As I say, it isn't uncommon for even the best universities to accept students with so-called soft subjects - including subjects that are due to be withdrawn, so I don't think you should say creative writing will only be accepted as a fourth A level, that simply isn't true.

That's your opinion. That's fine.:smile: My opinion is that if you do crappy A levels, you don't maximise your chances of success.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest