The Student Room Group

English lit or creative writing?

Hi

I’m thinking of studying with the OU and I can’t decide whether to study English lit with creative writing or just study creative writing alone? The creative writing side appeals to me more but I’m worried about future career prospects.

I have two young children and I’m in my 30s and can only study part time.

I’m interested in freelance work mainly although would possibly consider teaching or Home education support teaching, focusing on families with children with additional needs. Mainly I want to do something I love and I am quite a creative person. It will take me a minimum of 6 years to complete so I don’t want to just assume I know right now what the future holds or where my interests will be at that time and worry I could close some doors on possible employment if I focus solely on CW.

Can anyone shed some light on English literature and what to expect? Or does anybody have any experience in either subject at degree level? And what doors that opened for you, career wise?

I attempted a graphic design degree but personal circumstances and a caring role became priority and I was struggling with the softwares which was really slowing me down. I loved the graphic design modules and knew what I wanted to create and found studying enjoyable because I really enjoyed the subject. I’ve decided that graphic design is something I can enjoy without studying at degree level. So because of this I’m really worried if I find a subject boring I may lose my motivation.

I hope that makes sense.

TIA
Hi, I am currently studying English with Creative Writing at UoN rather than just Creative Writing because English will allow me to study a broad range of things at postgraduate level.

At my uni, English is composed of Literature, Language, Drama/Theatre, and Beginnings of English (Medieval). Literature at university level is honestly just like A-level for me with the only difference being the increased workload. If you didn't like or weren't great at Literature at GCSE or A-level, I wouldn't advise you take it over Creative Writing or by itself.

I'm not particularly a fan of Creative Writing at uni because I feel as though the lecturers miss the nuances in your writing and it's so easy to get a low grade if you don't write exactly like them or in the genres that they like. It has actually put me off writing as a hobby. I would also consider does the Creative Writing element include the forms you are most interested in. My uni only does poetry and short stories however screenwriting is my passion, which adds another layer of frustration for me.

However, don't let me put you off - these are just my experiences! I think you also need a postgraduate degree to teach children so the course name doesn't really matter but the class you receive does. Make sure you're confident you will get at least a 2:1 in the course you choose.
Original post by Sarahsam12
Hi
I’m thinking of studying with the OU and I can’t decide whether to study English lit with creative writing or just study creative writing alone? The creative writing side appeals to me more but I’m worried about future career prospects.
I have two young children and I’m in my 30s and can only study part time.
I’m interested in freelance work mainly although would possibly consider teaching or Home education support teaching, focusing on families with children with additional needs. Mainly I want to do something I love and I am quite a creative person. It will take me a minimum of 6 years to complete so I don’t want to just assume I know right now what the future holds or where my interests will be at that time and worry I could close some doors on possible employment if I focus solely on CW.
Can anyone shed some light on English literature and what to expect? Or does anybody have any experience in either subject at degree level? And what doors that opened for you, career wise?
I attempted a graphic design degree but personal circumstances and a caring role became priority and I was struggling with the softwares which was really slowing me down. I loved the graphic design modules and knew what I wanted to create and found studying enjoyable because I really enjoyed the subject. I’ve decided that graphic design is something I can enjoy without studying at degree level. So because of this I’m really worried if I find a subject boring I may lose my motivation.
I hope that makes sense.
TIA

Hi!
I studied English Literature and Creative Writing at the University of Manchester, so I'll tell you what I think would be helpful to you:

I usually had 2/3 of my week and work be Literature based. So being expected to read 2/3 texts a week, and then go to the lecture and seminar on them. This gives you a range of knowledge about different genres and historical books/poems/plays. For assessment, you would pick one of these to write about and have around 2 weeks to write an essay and research it with sources and quotes.

My other 1/3 was Creative Writing (and I'm like you where I'm very passionate about this!) For this class, we worked on a rota where you would bring in a short story or poem to be workshopped, so everyone would critique it and give feedback, then you could hand it in for your coursework. I really enjoyed writing, but didn't find this the most useful and sometimes it was tricky to come up with stuff when not inspired. Having the literature alongside helped inspire me, and I loved the Creative Writing classes we had as well.

If this sounds like a good mix to you then those are the kinds of questions to ask unis at open days! Things like how it will be assessed and the split between Literature and Creative Writing will be useful, as well as if you can meet any of your professors! (and ask if they will be the one teaching you!)

I hope that helps and best of luck with your degree!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending