The Student Room Group

when should I start revising for the real GCSE exams?

title.

Scroll to see replies

Im gonna start revising now because I barely pass by in the old ones, goodness knows how I'm gonna do in the new ones.
Reply 2
bump. more replies needed.
Reply 3
I'm going to start after Christmas, but only learning French vocab, literature quotes etc. to start with.
Reply 4
Original post by Popsiclez
Im gonna start revising now because I barely pass by in the old ones, goodness knows how I'm gonna do in the new ones.

what are you revising for first?
As soon as I complete all my courseworks I will begin revising.
I have 2 Computing, ICT, Science and a business coursework remaining.
Original post by jenniferhh
title.

Night/morning before.
I'm going to start pretty soon. Maybe ramp up the amount of revision done each week, and get into a steady rhythm in preparation for the exams. Haven't done my mocks yet, so don't know how much I should do for now
I am starting to revise for the real ones after Christmas / beginning of the New Year.. Learning quotes for English Literature and learning the things that I don't get in maths .. 😬😬
Revise now/ soon for mocks, esp if you want good grade predictions (for getting into sixth form or any other reason). Then revise seriously for the exams around Easter; there's no point doing intense revision for the real exams now, because you'll just burn out and probably even forget stuff you revise now by next May. If you keep on top of you're homework and make sure you understand everything, you should be fine. I just did my gcse's last year :smile:
I'm going to start revising after Christmas, but not too intense to begin with, only the likes of science, history and english. Some people say if you gradually revise and constantly revisit topics it helps to imbued it in touring term memory.
Original post by jenniferhh
what are you revising for first?

I think Seperate Sciences and Maths as I'm sh*t at exam technique in those, but in Emglish Im good at seeing the deeper meaning and analysing texts.
My girls one doing gcse the other A levels ( but she's got an unconditional not that I'm letting her coast) the gcse mocks have been so the younger one is just doing some Spanish course work and going over core science now the older is studying for mocks. Then until the Feb holidays they will have a break then in the fed half term they will get out all the books and everything and lay it all out over two tables and get slowly started with revision and past papers waster is a shorter holiday this year for our school so they will be really getting into full on studying a week or so before then from then on until they finish no study leave at our school which is harsh but for the lessmotivated students I guess it helps.
(edited 7 years ago)
I've been advised by teachers to start fully revising in February/March because if you start too early you'll burn yourself out and become quite tired during the exam period. However, in subjects such as English we are advised to start revising quotes now as it'll be easier to remember later on :smile:
A few hours before the exam.
I sat my GCSEs in Summer 2016 and, oh goodness this sounds like bragging, I really feel that I got the revision right for me (my results were a tinsy bit disappointing but that was due to extenuating circumstances).
We had mocks just before Christmas which I revised fairly hard for which were a great stepping stone to see how much I knew/understood already. I then had a break over Christmas (apart from completing any homework) which I think is really, really important, especially if you've gone all out for mocks. I then started light revision (and I mean light, reading over anything I struggled with etc) in January and cracked down to proper revision I think in February half term and then went all out, revision crazy from mid-April.
It's worth mentioning that I'm the sort of person who NEEDS to revise and also hates being unorganised so it worked much better for me to start early and slowly build it up. I had a friend who went all out crazy mad from January and was a highly unpleasant person for 6 months, Her results WERE amazing but she lost pretty much all of her friends and, in the end, says it wasn't worth it.
Basically, do what feels best for you but don't leave it to the last minute OR work too hard. Breaks are important and your health will always be more important than grades!
January the 2nd baby
Original post by sunshine774
Night/morning before.

lulz
Reply 18
As you have already done your GCSE's, I'm looking for some advice! When did you start creating your notes?? For example in the Christmas holidays I am planning on writing notes for unit 1,2 and 3 for science (I have started already) but do you think it is possible for me to finish it all? I'm really worried that I won't have time to finish it all! So when you did ur gcse's did you create notes on each topic in science?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jas-xo
As you have already done your GCSE's, I'm looking for some advice! When did you start creating your notes?? For example in the Christmas holidays I am planning on writing notes for unit 1,2 and 3 for science (I have started already) but do you think it is possible for me to finish it all? I'm really worried that I won't have time to finish it all! So when you did ur gcse's did you create notes on each topic in science?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't done my GCSE's yet but in my opinion, don't spend too long on your notes. Make sure you understand the key concepts and practice it out on past papers and see where you need to revise more. There's no point wasting lots of time on things you do know and spend a little more on the concepts you do badly on.

Quick Reply

Latest