The Student Room Group

Computing help thread: 2016-2017

Hi everybody,

I haven't seen a help thread for this years GCSE and A-level students, so I dedicated to make one. The purpose of this thread is that I believe that myself (and others) are quite capable to help individuals struggling with some aspects of Computing. I've recieved quite a few PMs asking for help, so I thought making a thread would be much more beneficial.

I'm happy to assist anybody regarding any Computing theory topics, or any programming problems also.

Languages I know: C, C++, C#, Java, VB, Python, HTML, PHP, SQL, JavaScript, CSS, Batch and Shell script. I'm pretty good at interpreting and creating algorithms using flowcharts or pseudocode. I'm also a confident Linux user.

Languages I'm especially good at: Java, PHP, C++, Python, Javascript.

I myself am an A-level student studying Computer Science (AQA), Maths (AQA), Media Studies (OCR), Photography (Edexcel). I'm also doing an EPQ (AQA) in Computer Science also. I achieved 2 A*s and 9 Bs at GCSE (with the A*s being in Computing, OCR and ICT, Edexcel), and I'm currently achieving 90%+ on all my Computer Science exams and homeworks in Year 12.

I know A LOT of people are looking for help with the OCR courseworks at around this time of the year, which is one of the main reasons why I started this thread. However, this thread is here to encourage people who have an interest in programming/computer science also, so please feel free to post here if you fall under that category.

===============================================================
Useful things:

GCSE:

OCR:

OCR Computing exam date: Wednesday 7th June, 2017.
OCR ICT (Today's world) exam date: Wednesday 17th May, 2017.
OCR ICT (Context) exam date: Thursday 25th May, 2017.

AQA:

AQA Computer Science exam date: Wednesday 7th June, 2017.
AQA ICT (Paper based & On-screen) exam date: Wednesday 17th May, 2017.

Edexcel:

Edexcel Computer Science exam date: Wednesday 7th June, 2017.
Edexcel ICT (Digital World) exam date: Wednesday 17th May, 2017.
Edexcel ICT (Digital Design) exam date: Thursday 25th May, 2017.

AS/A2/A-Level:

AQA:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
I need help in the OCR a453 computing python task 2
Reply 2
Original post by Quads
Hi,
I need help in the OCR a453 computing python task 2

I've done it so what do u need help with?
Reply 3
Also do u know where I may be able to have access to last years computing gcse paper? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Yaz007
I've done it so what do u need help with?

I no longer require help for this, thanks anyway.
Anyone else think the our textbook is a load of ****?
IMO they just wanna make money.
Reply 6
HI, I'm currently in year 11 doing GCSE Computing and my chosen A Levels are Maths, Chemistry and Physics because I want to keep my options open. I'm considering doing Computer Science or Artificial Intelligence at university. My teacher said that now University's don't just require Maths A Level for a CS related degree but A Level Computing as well. To what extent is she right and would I be limiting my chances by not doing Computing A Level?
Thanks.
Original post by Sk2001
HI, I'm currently in year 11 doing GCSE Computing and my chosen A Levels are Maths, Chemistry and Physics because I want to keep my options open. I'm considering doing Computer Science or Artificial Intelligence at university. My teacher said that now University's don't just require Maths A Level for a CS related degree but A Level Computing as well. To what extent is she right and would I be limiting my chances by not doing Computing A Level?
Thanks.

Well in my college there's no computing, but there is computer science.
I'm taking compsci, maths and biology, I would've done further maths, but I doubt i'll get a scale 7 in maths gcse.
Reply 8
Bump, I know that this time of year is where a lot of pressure is put on the coursework tasks.
Reply 9
If anyone has done the treasure hunt python aqa controlled assessment in computer science gcse , it would be really be appreciated for help😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know how to write an algorithm which detects whether a number is Odd or Even using MOD??
Hi, I'm struggling with the AQA coursework. I'm doing VB.NET and I'm finding it hard to make a website using ASP.NET. I'm trying to make a website for a hotel, but no idea how to create a masterpage or stylesheet. Please help! :frown:
Does anybody know how to do OCR python task 3 option C? need help!!!!!
Original post by CompScihe
Does anyone know how to write an algorithm which detects whether a number is Odd or Even using MOD??

Original post by Joseph....
Hi, I'm struggling with the AQA coursework. I'm doing VB.NET and I'm finding it hard to make a website using ASP.NET. I'm trying to make a website for a hotel, but no idea how to create a masterpage or stylesheet. Please help! :frown:

Original post by aminah786
Does anybody know how to do OCR python task 3 option C? need help!!!!!

Hey people, I study computing and will be studying computer science in university this year so feel free to PM me.
I am strong in VB.NET, C++ and know a few things about HTML and CSS.

Could you please explain these problems a little bit more in depth, such as by providing the question(s) asked for each task?
Original post by tuchaynz
Hey people, I study computing and will be studying computer science in university this year so feel free to PM me.

Could you please explain these problems a little bit more in depth, such as by providing the question(s) asked for each task?

Here is the control material
Original post by aminah786
Here is the control material

And what language are you carrying out this task in?????????
And what language are you carrying out this task in?????????

We are using python.

I'm struggling with the website design. I'm not sure how to make the master page or style sheet
Reply 18
Original post by CompScihe

http://prntscr.com/eflua0
Hi,

I was wondering whether someone here knows like different testing methods for a programme (C++/html in particular). I was told to include different types of testing in my Coursework documentation but I don't know any. I've tried researching but I don't understand any of it. SO i'd really appreciate it if someone can help out.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending