The Student Room Group

How to get a 9 in new maths gcse

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Light Venom
i got a*a*a* in a levels

The thread you posted here says you got A*AA... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4312362
Original post by LifeIsFine
Theres a split between higher and foundation tier on the second page; would be very scary if 3D Pythagoras was only a grade C. :redface:

Haha, naturally. My bad.
Original post by DarkEnergy
The thread you posted here says you got A*AA... http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4312362

😂😂😂
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
😂😂😂

typo

"For each examination, the top 20% of those who get Grade 7 or above will get a Grade 9"

:s-smilie: :frown:
In previous years, the top 5% of students are getting an A* and for us, it will be the top 3% who get a 9 so it is achievable if you are at the top end of A*.
Your are very rude. Why are you putting his dreams down? Anyone can achieve a grade 9 as long as they realy studdy hard and put their minds to things. U have no faith. If somein can make it to level 9, then anyone can. Why not??
Original post by charlie66
In previous years, the top 5% of students are getting an A* and for us, it will be the top 3% who get a 9 so it is achievable if you are at the top end of A*.

Them figures just aren't accurate... it was around 15% and is now probably around 10%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by Aklaol
That is only a prediction.

GCSE maths is and was a joke. Getting a 9 would hardly be difficult to anyone who is decent at maths and puts some work in.
Original post by alow
GCSE maths is and was a joke. Getting a 9 would hardly be difficult to anyone who is decent at maths and puts some work in.

I agree. Studying GCSE maths atm, it really isn't hard if you actually understand the content. People go through GCSEs memorising the textbook and regurgitating it onto the exam paper. With the new GCSE maths, people actually have to learn and understand the reasoning behind the content. The hardest equation you have to remember is the quadratic equation, which is not that hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
For anyone considering the Level 9 grade, I really recommend getting this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/GCSE-Edexcel-Mathematics-Grade-targetex-practice-workbook/178294415X

(there is an equivalent for the other exam boards).

I know of some teachers who don't like it because even they struggle with some of the questions but I think that's a good sign! All of the content is GCSE and a Level 9 student should be prepared to answer any question related to the content. Whether the Level 9 questions in the real thing will be easier is up for debate but I don't think that matters.
Reply 51
Original post by alow

What are you basing that on because in my opinion that's just not true. Only the top 3-4% will get level 9 so you don't just need to be decent at maths.

I know students who had finished the course last year and would have got a high A* if they took the exam last summer. Now they're on the 8/9 boundary and struggling to consistently get 90% in the practice papers. 50% of questions target levels 7-9 so to get 90% over three 1.5 hour exams is tough.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by notnek
What are you basing that on because in my opinion that's just not true. Only the top 3-4% will get level 9 so you don't just need to be decent at maths.

I know students who had finished the course last year and would have got a high A* if they took the exam last summer. Now they're on the 8/9 boundary and struggling to consistently get 90% in the practice papers. 50% of questions target levels 7-9 so to get 90% over three 1.5 hour exams is tough.

Yes. The old specification was easy you barely had to do much work and you could end up with an A/A*. It's a lot more tough now.
I'm just hoping I can sell all my old A-level textbooks before they become outdated and irrelevant in favour of a Maths A-level which grades based on the colours of the rainbow.
Original post by dannie.12
How do I get a 9 in the new maths GCSE in 2017? Also, could someone please give me a list of the new topics in the new syllabus? Thanks

In reply to your original question, which most people seem to have steered away from, here is a simple one pager, that lists the new topics and formulas one needs:-

http://www.mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/gcsemathspapers-9-1.htm
Original post by notnek

Getting an A* in the last spec doesn't make you good at maths. It meant that you memorised the textbook and simply applied the techniques it told you in the exam paper. In the last spec, it said stupid **** like: "Using the quadratic formula, solve this equation: .... Here is the quadratic formula:". Why should it tell you what to do? That's not maths. Maths is problem solving, 50% of maths is figuring out what to do. Save the hand-holding for the Foundation Paper. Every student who considers themselves good at maths should be aiming for full marks on the paper. It's not easy, and requires work, but that's how GCSEs are meant to be. We need to stop comparing it to the old spec, the old spec was shambolic.
Reply 56
Original post by BobBobson
Getting an A* in the last spec doesn't make you good at maths.

Yes it did. I agree with the point you are making but this is an exaggeration.
Reply 57
Original post by notnek
Yes it did. I agree with the point you are making but this is an exaggeration.

Just no.

Even getting an A* at A Level maths doesn't mean you're good at maths, it means you can memorise formulas and reproduce whatever the textbook says.
Reply 58
Original post by alow
Just no.

Even getting an A* at A Level maths doesn't mean you're good at maths, it means you can memorise formulas and reproduce whatever the textbook says.

How about a degree in maths?
i dont think a 9 is impossible though.
my thoughts in gcse were that if u aim for an A*, even if u do bad, that will be an A, which is still pretty good

Quick Reply

Latest