The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Fox Corner
x

I've seen on multiple occasions, on this subforum, people asking for help with maths that other users deem "easy" and treat the user asking for help with disdain. I think people are scared to ask for help in fear of being treated badly, as there are clearly users on here that are mathematical geniuses (@notnek + @RDKGames ) but some people seem to feel intimidated by them (through no fault of their own!) because they are extremely superior to them in terms of maths.
Reply 21
Original post by Mr M

Finally, I will have been here for 10 years on 16th January. I'm just making you aware of this so that you can put my long service medal in the post.

When I passed the 10 year mark I received 10 gold bullions. Anything less for you would be an insult.
Original post by notnek
When I passed the 10 year mark I received 10 gold bullions. Anything less for you would be an insult.

Good news. I'll keep an eye out for the postie.
Reply 23
Original post by AshEntropy
I've seen on multiple occasions, on this subforum, people asking for help with maths that other users deem "easy" and treat the user asking for help with disdain. I think people are scared to ask for help in fear of being treated badly, as there are clearly users on here that are mathematical geniuses (@notnek + @RDKGames ) but some people seem to feel intimidated by them (through no fault of their own!) because they are extremely superior to them in terms of maths.

EDIT : Not relevant anymore.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by notnek
I feel a need to defend myself.

I try to act completely opposite to this on TSR and challenge anyone who makes a poster feel inferior. I'm not saying that it doesn't happen on here but I feel very strongly that I am not one of those who does it. If you have an example of me making someone feel inferior, please PM me with an example.

Also, I am not definitely not a maths genius. If I appear to be good at A Level maths, it's because I teach it so am surrounded by it every day!

Wha!!! Oh gosh I'm so sorry I don't think I worded my post properly, the "through no fault of their own!!!!" part was directed at you and RDKGames.

It's like, if I were to walk up to Richard Dawkins I would feel "intimidated" by him as I know how amazing he is at Biology. I don't mean you actually directly cause intimidation, that's what I meant by "through no fault of your own"
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by AshEntropy
Wha!!! Oh gosh I'm so sorry I don't think I worded my post properly, the "through no fault of their own!!!!" part was directed at you and RDKGames.

It's like, if I were to walk up to Richard Dawkins I would feel "intimidated" by him as I know how amazing he is at Biology. I don't mean you actually directly cause intimidation, that's what I meant by "through no fault of your own"

That's good to hear :smile:

The "disdain" part of your post felt like it was directed at me so I had to say something because it's an area I feel very strongly about.
I wish people would formulate their questions a bit better via Latex instead of uploading scans of their question sheets, for example, which is a lot of hassle to look through.
Original post by RamocitoMorales
I wish people would formulate their questions a bit better via Latex instead of uploading scans of their question sheets, for example, which is a lot of hassle to look through.

That involves a time investment the casual user might not be prepared to give. We persuaded someone new to give LaTex a go today though.
I tend to look at the latest discussions rather than looking in the Maths area.

When I post a hint often the posters takes hours to look at the reply so I wonder if people really need help.

I agree about a couple of people who think it is funny to show off' and be rude about maths teachers - hardly encouraging us to be here :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Muttley79
I tend to look at the latest discussions rather than looking in the Maths area.

When I post a hint often the posters takes hours to look at the reply so I wonder if people really need help.

I agree about a couple of people who think it is funny to show off' and be rude about maths teachers - hardly encouraging us to be here :smile:

Name names and I'll beat them up for you
I'm new to this site and thankful for all the help I got so far in the Maths forum.
That involves a time investment the casual user might not be prepared to give.Yeah, but then replying to them requires a time investment I might not be prepared to give.

I don't insist on LaTeX - plain text is usually fine as well. But I am usually going to be less inclined to help someone who posts an attachment (things like diagrams, or page long questions are exceptions, of course).

Two reasons:

First, we all know it's pointless trying to help someone who hasn't actually thought about the problem themselves. And if they can't take the time to type it in, it raises questions about how much thought they really have put in.

Secondly (and more importantly), I find it significantly more troublesome to answer a question given via attachment. I generally have to load the attachment up in a new browser tab, and then continually swap between the tabs to make sure I'm answer the actual question. If I need to reproduce a long equation in the attachment, I have nothing I can cut+paste - I have to do it all by hand (even though the OP couldn't be bothered to).

Bonus gripe about attachments: If you do post an attachment, please have the courtesy to make it easily readable. If you post something that's blurry, seems to have the text printed in light dark grey on a dark light grey background, has lots of details cropped off the side of the page, or is sideways/upside down, then it's a massive disincentive for anyone to try to answer what you've written.
Original post by DFranklin

The thing about attachments that niggles me is they are rarely the right way up!

Edit: Oh you said that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
Yeah, but then replying to them requires a time investment I might not be prepared to give.

I don't insist on LaTeX - plain text is usually fine as well. But I am usually going to be less inclined to help someone who posts an attachment (things like diagrams, or page long questions are exceptions, of course).

I may be wrong but I'm not sure if the majority of helpers share your view for clear attachments. If an attachment is readable and the right way up then I'm just as happy to help as I would if the question/working was written using LaTeX.

There are a couple of students I can think of who like to ask for help, attempt the question and then post a photo of their working. As long as it is clear and the right way up then I'm happy. And I think these students like to attempt the question on paper and then show the working without having to retype it all out, especially if they're not confident using LaTeX.

But unclear/upside-down attachments are a problem and it will be useful if we let a student know if they need to improve the clarity of their attachments.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mr M

Finally, I will have been here for 10 years on 16th January. I'm just making you aware of this so that you can put my long service medal in the post.

Maybe you can expect to be on the TSR honors list this new year :crown:
Reply 35
Original post by Student1914
I'm new to this site and thankful for all the help I got so far in the Maths forum.

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, but then replying to them requires a time investment I might not be prepared to give.

Two reasons:

First, we all know it's pointless trying to help someone who hasn't actually thought about the problem themselves. And if they can't take the time to type it in, it raises questions about how much thought they really have put in.

Secondly (and more importantly), I find it significantly more troublesome to answer a question given via attachment. I generally have to load the attachment up in a new browser tab, and then continually swap between the tabs to make sure I'm answer the actual question. If I need to reproduce a long equation in the attachment, I have nothing I can cut+paste - I have to do it all by hand (even though the OP couldn't be bothered to).

Bonus gripe about attachments: If you do post an attachment, please have the courtesy to make it easily readable. If you post something that's blurry, seems to have the text printed in light dark grey on a dark light grey background, has lots of details cropped off the side of the page, or is sideways/upside down, then it's a massive disincentive for anyone to try to answer what you've written.

I think you are being too fussy - posting a hint does not need a massive effort. I don't think we should expect posters to learn LaTex to get help - that's not encouraging more people to use the site.

As long as people post attachments the right way up and preferably post ther working them I'm happy to give a hint.
Original post by Muttley79
I think you are being too fussy - posting a hint does not need a massive effort.
Yeah, but providing detailed help (which I used to do a *lot*, on here) takes a lot more.

I don't think we should expect posters to learn LaTex to get help - that's not encouraging more people to use the site.
As I've said, posting in plain text is fine too.

As long as people post attachments the right way up and preferably post ther working them I'm happy to give a hint.
Which is fine. I've just stated it's my personal position. I'm absolutely not saying "no-one shoold help such a person", just that it's less likely that *I* will.

Since in the past I've had people actually PM me complaining that I haven't answered their questions while answering others, I don't think it unreasonable of me to state this is a possible reason why.

Edit: Also, not that I particularly want to play this card, but I have quite severe vision issues and it certainly doesn't help when trying to follow attachments. Plain text and LaTeX are *much* more friendly to people with visual issues.

Second edit: As an example, just answered https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4495116&p=69457004#post69457004 and I had to flip between reply and attachment about 5 times to be sure of what I wanted to reply. Wouldn't have had to flip at all if it was written in plain text.
(edited 7 years ago)
Yeah, but providing detailed help (which I used to do a *lot*, on here) takes a lot more.

I think we support learning mathematcs better if we just give hints ...detail is not helpful as usually there's more than one way of tackling a problem

No-one is forcing you to help people :smile:
With TSR on mobile, I think it's inevitable that photos will be used more. I usually download them where they're easier to refer to and can be easily rotated and enlarged as necessary.

My interest in responding depends primarily on the attitude of the poster:

A photo, of whatever quality, with the only separate text of "Solve", usually generates a "<expletive deleted>" and I move on.
A poor quality, upside down photo, where the OP recognizes it as such and makes an effort will get a more sympathetic response.

Latest