The Student Room Group

Am i too old?

Hi!

Im new to this forum, and i feel like im new to education too!

Im 37 and a mother of 2-a teen, and pre-teen. I did my GCSEs and then left education to do a few creative NVQs (I did Hairdressing, and Floristry) then i got into work, got married and had the kids and life got in the way...now im thinking of going back into education to get a degree and get a job in the industry i have always had an interest in.
I want to get into Optometry. Maybe start of doing a Dispensing Optician Degree and then deciding if i want to continue to be an Optom.
I have a few members in my family who work in these fields and i love what they do.

my problem is-i have too many concerns.
Will i get in? Will i fit in with a class of youngsters? Is college/Uni for me or am i just too old now? Which route should i go?

I have my certificates somewhere, and i know i got A-C in English and Science, but D in maths. What are my options?

Any help, support or words of encouragement appreciated!

Thanks for reading!
(edited 11 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello, and welcome to The Student Room, great to have you aboard!
To begin, you are most certainly not too old: it's definitely possible to get in, and fitting in is more about being 'you'. I know for sure you will also get others who will do there best to be there for you.
It's great to hear that you're looking at a degree, and that's most certainly doable. As a personal experience, I knew someone who was ~40 and got a degree, so it's never too late. University's certainly a route to go, especially for Optometry which is quite a niche subject. In that case, a degree is probably your best bet.

I would always recommend checking out different universities and getting their prospectuses. That can give you an idea of the grade boundaries. You generally require Maths and a Science, but there's two ways around that if you need the science or if you need to up your Maths grade. The first is to retake your A-levels, and go from there - there are many online courses you can do that from. The second option is to begin with a degree in a science relating to optometry, but either as a Foundation Year, to begin a degree without the same requirements, or with the Open University. The Open University (if you haven't heard of it) is an online degree provider. It doesn't offer any specific courses for optometry, but you could take a science and from there get a Masters in Optometry with an in-person university. I'm not sure about Dispensing Opticians but in doing a science that still gives you the space to prioritise something else later.

I believe there are also Degree Apprenticeships in Optometry which might be worth checking out? An interesting alternative to both the aforementioned.

In the end, there are loads of ways you can get into it, so please don't feel that you're blocked from it all :smile:. Everyone goes through these things differently, so you might discover something that surprises you. Best of luck with wherever you go! You got this :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by {Moss}
Hello, and welcome to The Student Room, great to have you aboard!
To begin, you are most certainly not too old: it's definitely possible to get in, and fitting in is more about being 'you'. I know for sure you will also get others who will do there best to be there for you.
It's great to hear that you're looking at a degree, and that's most certainly doable. As a personal experience, I knew someone who was ~40 and got a degree, so it's never too late. University's certainly a route to go, especially for Optometry which is quite a niche subject. In that case, a degree is probably your best bet.

I would always recommend checking out different universities and getting their prospectuses. That can give you an idea of the grade boundaries. You generally require Maths and a Science, but there's two ways around that if you need the science or if you need to up your Maths grade. The first is to retake your A-levels, and go from there - there are many online courses you can do that from. The second option is to begin with a degree in a science relating to optometry, but either as a Foundation Year, to begin a degree without the same requirements, or with the Open University. The Open University (if you haven't heard of it) is an online degree provider. It doesn't offer any specific courses for optometry, but you could take a science and from there get a Masters in Optometry with an in-person university. I'm not sure about Dispensing Opticians but in doing a science that still gives you the space to prioritise something else later.

I believe there are also Degree Apprenticeships in Optometry which might be worth checking out? An interesting alternative to both the aforementioned.

In the end, there are loads of ways you can get into it, so please don't feel that you're blocked from it all :smile:. Everyone goes through these things differently, so you might discover something that surprises you. Best of luck with wherever you go! You got this :biggrin:

Thank You so much for your reply! You definitely gave me an insight into what I can look into further to help me make a decision. I hope I can get my foot in the door somehow. Thanks again!
Reply 3
Original post by chocaholikk
Thank You so much for your reply! You definitely gave me an insight into what I can look into further to help me make a decision. I hope I can get my foot in the door somehow. Thanks again!

Absolutely no problem :biggrin:. I hope all goes well, wherever you go!
Reply 4
I study optom. With uni you get people from different age groups so don’t worry about fit in.
Personally I’d recommended you to study an access course. Most people got in through that route.
Reply 5
Original post by GOT 2001
I study optom. With uni you get people from different age groups so don’t worry about fit in.
Personally I’d recommended you to study an access course. Most people got in through that route.

Thank you! I was thinking about access courses too. Would you know which access course is the best to do? Or can you recommend a course provider that you may have heard of? Just so I can look into them?

How long do you have left? Well done on getting this far!
I have a few family members in the eye field. My husband is a lab tech so I have a bit of experience in glazing and fitting glasses too.
Aloha welcome to the fun house that is otherwise known as TSR :wink:

You're not too old for anything.

I'm 39, my husband is 46, and I'm a mother of four kids aged 17, 15, 13, and 9. Both my husband and I are in uni (him full time, me part time) :smile:
Reply 7
Hi!

Im 37 and a mother of 2-a teen, and pre-teen. I did my GCSEs and then left education to do a few creative NVQs (I did Hairdressing, and Floristry) then i got into work, got married and had the kids and life got in the way...now im thinking of going back into education to get a degree and get a job in the industry i have always had an interest in.
I want to get into Optometry. Maybe start of doing a Dispensing Optician Degree and then deciding if i want to continue to be an Optom.
I have a few members in my family who work in these fields and i love what they do.

Will i get in? Will i fit in with a class of youngsters? Is college/Uni for me or am i just too old now? Which route should i go?

I have my certificates somewhere, and i know i got A-C in English and Science, but D in maths. What are my options?

Thanks for reading!

Hi. As I have been told myself you’re never too old to learn…. I was told the same as you, and like you, life put a hold on things. I really hope you do get the confidence, which I never had. I can only go by people I know that did have confidence & have such a different life now. They went to uni with the youngsters & had a wail of a time. In fact they are still in touch with them now. It sounds like you’re already half way to getting where you want to be. Like everyone thought you could easily change your mind . That’s your prerogative. I really hope you carry on though. We need more people like you please carry on & go for it 100 % am sure you’ll smash it ……
Reply 8
I would have to agree with everyone else. You're never too old to learn.

I'm 35, turning 36 in September and the people I hung about during my first college year since 2003 were between 15-22 years old. It was weird being on the opposite end but I'm going to make the most of my time available and you should too! :smile:
Reply 9
Wow! Thank you guys for the support and encouragement! I think I will look into it more now thst I got just the push I needed! Thank You!
Reply 10
Thank you! I was thinking about access courses too. Would you know which access course is the best to do? Or can you recommend a course provider that you may have heard of? Just so I can look into them?

How long do you have left? Well done on getting this far!
I have a few family members in the eye field. My husband is a lab tech so I have a bit of experience in glazing and fitting glasses too.

i think any science related access course is fine. Usually most colleges offer them.Also just look at the criteria of the unis you’re looking at, and it should say what they accept and which type of access course they prefer. You should definitely apply, we have so many students in through that route !!! Your experience with glasses will definitely come in handy, mention that on your ps/ interview if you apply. I’ve nearly finished my second year, just got the exams left.😭I’d also recomend you to try and resit you maths GCSE, and get a C. In general a pass in maths and English are needed by most courses .
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by GOT 2001
i think any science related access course is fine. Usually most colleges offer them.Also just look at the criteria of the unis you’re looking at, and it should say what they accept and which type of access course they prefer. You should definitely apply, we have so many students in through that route !!! Your experience with glasses will definitely come in handy, mention that on your ps/ interview if you apply. I’ve nearly finished my second year, just got the exams left.😭I’d also recomend you to try and resit you maths GCSE, and get a C. In general a pass in maths and English are needed by most courses .

Yes I was thinking of doing my GCSE maths first too. Maybe then I can get a feel for how I settle down in a class environment and take it from there. If I don’t enjoy it then at least I’ve still bettered my GCSE result.

All the best with your exams!! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
Reply 12
Yes I was thinking of doing my GCSE maths first too. Maybe then I can get a feel for how I settle down in a class environment and take it from there. If I don’t enjoy it then at least I’ve still bettered my GCSE result.

All the best with your exams!! 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Oh no, maths! Hope all goes well with it! I know I didn't with mines. 😂
Hi!

Thanks for reading!

welcome to TSR!

and no, I don't think you're too old! Whilst I have no mature students on my course, I do a society with one and no one there treats her any differently except for maybe not inviting her to as many socials but that's mostly due to her own choice of not wanting to attend them. You can always look to see if there is a course which has a foundation year if you're worried about grades or have a little look to see what is actually needed for you to get in as a mature student as I'm not sure if it would be the same or different as you have had proper work experience.
Reply 14
Original post by Mintzs
Oh no, maths! Hope all goes well with it! I know I didn't with mines. 😂

I hope so too! It’s my weakest point. 🙈 I’m hoping o understand it better now that there’s so many resources. When I did my GCSEs all we had was CGP books-which were great but there was no alternative if you got stuck
Reply 15
You are not too old. Optometry is one of the fields you can switch to at any age. I've seen some 40+ studying it.
Easiest way would be to complete an access course.
Reply 17
Original post by Kathy89
You are not too old. Optometry is one of the fields you can switch to at any age. I've seen some 40+ studying it.

Thank you! I’ve decided I’m going resit my maths gcse and then take it from there! Here’s hoping!
Reply 18
Original post by random_matt
Easiest way would be to complete an access course.

I am looking into this-thank you!
no def not cuz ur raising kids and teens none the less u probaly have great advice to offer and ppl will act listen bc ur pretty young to be a mother for teens.

Quick Reply

Latest