The Student Room Group

Anyone else taking Maths, physics, French and further maths A-Level?

I'm currently in year 11 and I've picked to do Maths, further maths, physics and French to do next year and was wondering if there were any others taking the same subjects as me and how they're finding it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do them all except French (it's a common combination!) and I'm currently in Year 12, so don't have masses of experience so far.

Maths is my easiest subject, although we've only done C1 and a bit of M1. Core 1 is really easy (especially since you'll be doing further maths, I assume you'll find it a breeze), if you're doing AQA further maths this year you basically learn it all in there apart from integration which is new, but that's easy so you'll be fine. Mechanics is okay at the moment, and is that compulsory with the new spec? I'm not sure what it's like at all to be honest. We haven't made much progress with mechanics at all yet, so I can't make much comment. suvat equations are relatively straightforward, although you do have to learn them. The only other thing we've covered so far is momentum, which in effect is really basic physics.

Further Maths is my most enjoyable subject, we've done D1 and are currently about halfway through FP1. Decision maths is odd, you don't really feel like it's maths but you don't complain because it's easy :tongue: The only thing me and my classmates struggle with is timing in exams, however that can easily be improved over time. Further Pure is the "real" further maths content. We're about halfway through it now, and although complex numbers were a bit tricky to get to grips with at first, they're manageable and everything we've learnt since then has been fine. I think the FP stuff is really interesting, and it's what makes FM my favourite subject. It's definitely more advanced than regular maths, but so far not by much (this will most definitely change next year though). It sometimes can make regular maths seem a bit dull in comparison, but it's nothing too extreme as it'll also make it feel easier, allowing you to achieve top marks in it.

Physics is by far my most interesting subject. It's also by far my most difficult. I think the main reason for this though is because it is my only subject that's already new spec. So far we've done particles and radiation and waves, we're about to start electricity and mechanics. Particles and radiation is the easier topic out of the two, and also very interesting. It introduces a lot of new concepts that you won't have come across before, so it can be quite a lot to get your head around at first. Once you do though, it's not bad at all. Waves is in comparison an incredibly dull topic, and one that I've struggled with quite a bit. It's quite a big chapter, and it seems to jump around a bit in the sense that not everything seems to link nicely, it's simply bound by the fact that it's all got something to do with waves. It's a lot to learn, definitely. The main difficulty with physics though isn't the actual content but the exam questions. I just sat my physics mock this week which was made up entirely of specimen questions and they're really tough. The mark schemes are really particular with what qualifies for marks and what doesn't, so you really need to know the content well and do plenty of prep in advance to be able to nail the questions.

Unfortunately I know nothing about French, so you'll have to ask someone else about that. However I hope I helped with the other three! Any questions feel free to ask :h:
Reply 2
Original post by NiamhM1801
I do them all except French (it's a common combination!) and I'm currently in Year 12, so don't have masses of experience so far.

Maths is my easiest subject, although we've only done C1 and a bit of M1. Core 1 is really easy (especially since you'll be doing further maths, I assume you'll find it a breeze), if you're doing AQA further maths this year you basically learn it all in there apart from integration which is new, but that's easy so you'll be fine. Mechanics is okay at the moment, and is that compulsory with the new spec? I'm not sure what it's like at all to be honest. We haven't made much progress with mechanics at all yet, so I can't make much comment. suvat equations are relatively straightforward, although you do have to learn them. The only other thing we've covered so far is momentum, which in effect is really basic physics.

Further Maths is my most enjoyable subject, we've done D1 and are currently about halfway through FP1. Decision maths is odd, you don't really feel like it's maths but you don't complain because it's easy :tongue: The only thing me and my classmates struggle with is timing in exams, however that can easily be improved over time. Further Pure is the "real" further maths content. We're about halfway through it now, and although complex numbers were a bit tricky to get to grips with at first, they're manageable and everything we've learnt since then has been fine. I think the FP stuff is really interesting, and it's what makes FM my favourite subject. It's definitely more advanced than regular maths, but so far not by much (this will most definitely change next year though). It sometimes can make regular maths seem a bit dull in comparison, but it's nothing too extreme as it'll also make it feel easier, allowing you to achieve top marks in it.

Physics is by far my most interesting subject. It's also by far my most difficult. I think the main reason for this though is because it is my only subject that's already new spec. So far we've done particles and radiation and waves, we're about to start electricity and mechanics. Particles and radiation is the easier topic out of the two, and also very interesting. It introduces a lot of new concepts that you won't have come across before, so it can be quite a lot to get your head around at first. Once you do though, it's not bad at all. Waves is in comparison an incredibly dull topic, and one that I've struggled with quite a bit. It's quite a big chapter, and it seems to jump around a bit in the sense that not everything seems to link nicely, it's simply bound by the fact that it's all got something to do with waves. It's a lot to learn, definitely. The main difficulty with physics though isn't the actual content but the exam questions. I just sat my physics mock this week which was made up entirely of specimen questions and they're really tough. The mark schemes are really particular with what qualifies for marks and what doesn't, so you really need to know the content well and do plenty of prep in advance to be able to nail the questions.

Unfortunately I know nothing about French, so you'll have to ask someone else about that. However I hope I helped with the other three! Any questions feel free to ask :h:

Thanks, that was really useful and I don't feel as scared about doing maths and further maths 😂 my teacher has advised me not to do FM though which kinda made me feel very unsure of myself but I think i feel confident about being able to do it :3 I'm just deciding not to listen to her and do what I think is best for me (since I know I'll regret it if I don't try and I'd like to do either physics or engineering at uni and I've heard it's very useful)

What grades did you get at Gcse in maths and physics?

And also are there a lot of girls taking Maths and physics in your school since they're mainly seen as a 'boy subject' (completely ridiculous 😂)?

Have most of the people doing well in your maths class gotten A's and A*s at Gcse?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by awkwrdbby
Thanks, that was really useful and I don't feel as scared about doing maths and further maths 😂 my teacher has advised me not to do FM though which kinda made me feel very unsure of myself but I think i feel confident about being able to do it :3 I'm just deciding not to listen to her and do what I think is best for me (since I know I'll regret it if I don't try and I'd like to do either physics or engineering at uni and I've heard it's very useful)

What grades did you get at Gcse in maths and physics?

And also are there a lot of girls taking Maths and physics in your school since they're mainly seen as a 'boy subject' (completely ridiculous 😂)?

Have most of the people doing well in your maths class gotten A's and A*s at Gcse?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good to hear! I now know a few people who regret not choosing FM as it's left them at a slight disadvantage, especially if they're now considering applying for a maths-based university course that they weren't thinking of doing before. I'd say go for it, if you don't like it you can always switch to something else in the first few weeks anyway :smile:

I got an A* in Maths, an A* in Further Maths (AQA Level 2 Certificate, weird old qualification) and an A* in Physics at GCSE :smile:

The breakdown of each of my classes is like this:
Maths: 5 boys, 2 girls
Further Maths: 2 boys, 2 girls
Physics: 2 boys, 4 girls

So yes, the boys do tend to outweigh the girls in STEM subjects in general (my physics class is a huge exception here) but that's not really a big deal any more - I don't know a single girl who was put off taking a STEM subject due to fear of being the only one.

My school would only let students take A Level Maths if they got an A in Maths GCSE, Physics if they got a B in Physics GCSE (or BB in GCSE Core and Add. Science) and Maths GCSE, and Further Maths if they got an A* in Maths GCSE.
i do these exact subjects, so can offer an insight into the combined workload. :tongue:

maths is probably the easiest so far, but i studied admaths beforehand so i'd seen a lot of the content before. i know the syllabus is changing for your year but a lot of the content will be the same so i'd advise going over some a level stuff before you start, it'll really help

further maths isn't really harder maths, it's just more maths. it kinda decreases your overall workload so sometimes i don't feel like i'm taking four a levels because some techniques from fm help in single maths.

physics is conceptually hard but there are a lot of calculations, which makes life easier. i'm starting to enjoy it a lot more as a subject even though i'm failing all the practicals... there are a lot of GCSE concepts explored in more depth and i haven't come across too much that is completely new, but i did do triple science.

french has the highest workload by far; along with essays that i get every two/three weeks, i have vocab tests every other week and you have to do a lot of independent study on top of this. this is because there isn't a prescribed vocab list, pretty much anything could come up, so you need to be able to deal with native material instead of just content made for learners. i don't know if it'll be the same for you, but we have to study a film and two books for the exam, which we have to analyse in french. it helps with your writing as you tend to make notes in french since everyone's giving their ideas in french.
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
even though i'm failing all the practicals

my life :lol:
Reply 6
Original post by awkwrdbby
I'm currently in year 11 and I've picked to do Maths, further maths, physics and French to do next year and was wondering if there were any others taking the same subjects as me and how they're finding it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was kinda in your position last year two years ago (that's gone quickly!! D: ) - I was struggling to decide between French and chemistry, although ended up doing chemistry (which I think was the right choice for me in the end).
I agree with NiamhM1801, further maths is really interesting, and if you're good at maths you'll enjoy it. My impression of A Level maths at the start was that for the most part it felt way more 'mathsy' and satisfying than GCSE, and I actually really enjoy it most of the time. Doing further also means you get to do decision maths (unless your school offers it for single maths too, but I think generally it's saved for further) which is very different to most maths you'll've done before. I'm not personally a huge fan of decision, but it's definitely interesting. And doing things like Decision, Statistics 2 and the further pure units is really enjoyable if you just like learning new maths!

Physics definitely has more maths than GCSE, but much of it is still just rearranging equations and plugging numbers in. I think the concepts are often harder than the maths, though; much of it feels like quite a step up from GCSE, especially on the electricity/particles/waves side.

I liked the sound of French when I was looking at courses, as with the other subjects it sounded more interesting than GCSE, the speaking assessments particularly, with debates and things, rather than just a monologue about your holiday! I get the impression from one of my friends that the speaking assessments can be quite stressful, though! It sounds like you need to know your stuff, and that it's much more impromptu than our GCSE course was (basically a pre-researsed monologue). One person in my f. maths class does French too, but they're the only person I know who does languages and f. maths.

I've rambled a bit, but feel free to ask any questions! :smile:
I've taken Maths, AS Further Maths, French but not Physics unfortunately, I do Chemistry instead.

French is one of my favourite A-Level subjects, in terms of content, it is more interesting than GCSE for sure. It depends on which exam board your school does but for Edexcel, we do topics such as Health & Lifestyle, The Environment, Youth Culture etc. and you get to choose one of them to do for your AS Speaking Exam. However, there is a lot more grammar structures to learn in AS & A2 as well and honestly grammar isn't the most interesting part of French. Make sure to learn your structures throughout the year, make loads of posters and flashcards (it helps:smile:) At the end of AS, I got a B overall with an A in Speaking. I was so close to an A overall so I'm resitting the AS Unit 2 (Listening, Reading and Writing) this summer just to push my grade into a solid A boundary. Listen to French news, documentaries, music etc. as much as possible to feel as French as possible; even if you don't understand the majority of what they are saying, it still helps with your listening practice and even learning new vocab.

Maths..well I found AS Maths to be interesting as well. I LOVED Core 1, Core 2 was good as well aside from logarithms and trigonometry :frown: As for Statistics 1 (depending if your school offers this), I really developed a dislike for it, I found it very boring and it didn't make any sense to me (BUT that's just me personally, you may like it). I recommend with Maths, you practice the harder questions from your Maths A-Level textbooks (normally the miscellaneous exercises) throughout the year and do as many past papers as possible. I personally think that A2 Maths is a big jump up from AS Maths since AS is just basically your GCSE topics expanded a bit further and A2 is more demanding but still enjoyable.

Further Maths was only offered at my school for AS so I've done Further Pure 1 so far (which I'm resitting since I was 2 marks off a B), M1 and S2. FP1 is a fascinating module and probably one of my favourites out of the whole AS Further Maths, you'll do topics such as Complex Numbers, Matrices and Arguments; stuff that you may not have heard of before, I honestly enjoyed it. Just make sure to do as many past paper questions as possible. As for Mechanics 1, I never really understood it and it will probably be more advantageous to you since you've chosen to do Physics and it links really well with the modules in AS Physics (so I've heard from people in my class). To me, it's VERY difficult but that could just be because I don't do Physics. With Mechanics 1, DRAW, DRAW AND DRAW DIAGRAMS! You will become best friends with your pencil and ruler during M1:smile: Within AS Further Maths, I also do S2 which is another step up from S1 but I find it less of a drag compared to S1, it just makes a lot more sense in my head. You'll do stuff like the Normal Distribution, the Poisson Distribution and many more, it's not too hard to get your head around it once you've understood S1 from AS Maths. Remember to draw and label diagrams each time, it will help you see where you've gone wrong.

I hope this helps you out, I've managed to write the equivalent of an essay but you can ask me anything :smile:
Original post by Protostar

How would you say physics is divided between maths and theory?

Also, if you only do 3 a-levels, what's the workload like for each subject ie. are you absolutely swamped or is there time for other activities?

Quick Reply

Latest