The Student Room Group

EDEXCEL IAL January 2017 biology unit 1

Just finished doing the unit 1 paper, what are your guys thoughts on this paper

Scroll to see replies

Meh, there are a few tricky questions (especially that last one) but overall its was ok wbu ?
pretty easy exam fair to say, except that question where you have to talk about recessive and dominant in terms of M S Z alleles for alpha-1-antitrypsin, personally I think one of the highest grade boundaries biology unit 1 will have
What was the answer of the last question ( the difficult part )?
I don't think the grade boundaries will be high, atleast lower than last year
Original post by Rawan32455
I don't think the grade boundaries will be high, atleast lower than last year
really! I hope so, many people in my center finished early, I finished and had 30mins left, and many people finished soon after no one was till the last bell, so I expected a high boundary, hey im fine with a grade boundary lower than last year (63/80) I don't think ill loose more than 10!
Original post by Rawan32455
What was the answer of the last question ( the difficult part )?

the M S Z allele one? im not sure that question took me the longest, I came up with, M dominant, Z recessive, I said at first S is co-dominant but our teacher said no co dominant in a-level so I said s is recessive as well, a top student in our country (got 8a* in o level) said he wrote their all co-dominant and M was the most influential co-dominant then S then Z, im not sure tbh
Reply 7
what was the answer to the question that asked why we would need a buffer solution?:afraid:
Original post by jkb2050
what was the answer to the question that asked why we would need a buffer solution?:afraid:
PH is a variable that affects the work rate of an enzyme, so if no buffer, ph can cause enzyme to denature, buffer acts as a controlled variable for the ph so the only variable present is enzyme concentration (which is what were testing or that's the reason we are doing the experiment)
Reply 9
For the M S Z one I wrote M as dominant and S as recessive and Z as a mutant allele something sorta of like that
Original post by Zaid Qaddourah
PH is a variable that affects the work rate of an enzyme, so if no buffer, ph can cause enzyme to denature, buffer acts as a controlled variable for the ph so the only variable present is enzyme concentration (which is what were testing or that's the reason we are doing the experiment)

I think it was because of the presence of fatty acids in the solution.As tryglyceride were forming the fatty acids were reducing so the ph could alter as a result to that.to keep it a fair experiment buffer was used
Original post by Waheed1998
I think it was because of the presence of fatty acids in the solution.As tryglyceride were forming the fatty acids were reducing so the ph could alter as a result to that.to keep it a fair experiment buffer was used

yep that's another point overall idea was to not have ph as variable but as control variable as it would effect result
Was the last questions answer 25 percent probability? The Question related osmosis,the rbcs ruptured in solution Q right?
Original post by Zaid Qaddourah
the M S Z allele one? im not sure that question took me the longest, I came up with, M dominant, Z recessive, I said at first S is co-dominant but our teacher said no co dominant in a-level so I said s is recessive as well, a top student in our country (got 8a* in o level) said he wrote their all co-dominant and M was the most influential co-dominant then S then Z, im not sure tbh

I wrote almost the same thing, though I think it's not co-dominance but incomplete dominance as they produce a blend of their phenotypes when the alleles are combined together
Was the last questions answer 25 percent probability? The Question related osmosis,the rbcs ruptured in solution Q right?

yep 25%
Reply 15
does the jan 2017 bio unit 1 paper have an unofficial marking scheme?:confused:
Reply 16

i think the rbcs shrink because of the spiky surface.
can someone confirm wether the rbc shrink or burst . cause i assumed it shrink but a reasonable amount of my friend s are saying that it burst
Original post by ahamed2000
can someone confirm wether the rbc shrink or burst . cause i assumed it shrink but a reasonable amount of my friend s are saying that it burst

As far as my crappy memory goes it was shrink based on the solution concentration which the question stated in the giant paragraph above.
Reply 19
Go to google, search 'rbc' shrink and 'rbc' burst respectively, u will find two different image,then u will know the answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending