The Student Room Group

Which is the best way to get into teaching? (Specifically Primary School)

Hi,
I'm currently in Year 11 and would appreciate some advice on this subject matter. I would like to become a Primary School teacher, although I am not sure on which route to take to get to that career.

I have done some research and it appears there are two main ways to get into teaching? Doing a Bachelor of Education/Art/Science, or getting a degree, followed by a PGCE/PGDE. (There is also School Direct, however I am a bit confused by that).
I was planning to do some sort of English Degree (maybe Classical Civilisation, as I plan to do those at A-level, as well as Psychology), and then get a PGCE, although I'm not so sure now, would I be able to do primary teaching with any degree?
What is your opinion on the best way to get into primary teaching? And what have your experiences been like? What is doing the BEd or PGCE like?

Any advice/guidance is welcomed!
Reply 1
Hi Emily, I'm doing an English degree at uni right now and am in my third year. At the end of that I'm going to be joining the grad scheme Teach First to get a PGDE (basically a PGCE but I believe more Master's credits? Both are absolutely fine though) and teach secondary English. On TF, you're basically teaching for two years whilst earning your PGDE at the same time during the first year. However, Teach First also does Primary, so this is yet another PGCE route you could consider looking into.

School Direct is basically where you're employed by a school, on I think around 80% of a qualified teacher's timetable, and you essentially learn on the job. On a course I was accepted on (I decided to do TF instead, partly because it's paid and I was only eligible for the Unsalaried SD scheme) I was told you're teaching most of the week with one or two days at the partner uni to do essays and so on. It all sounds very busy. It's important that whatever course you decide to do, it comes with QTS. I know a lot of people like the BEd for Primary School teaching, but I feel like you might want to think carefully about it, as it's a lot more vocational than an English degree etc. You could definitely do something other than teaching if you find you don't like it with a BEd, but I feel a bit more open to moving away from teaching with an English degree. An English degree is quite well suited for a conversion course into Law, for example, if I decided I didn't want to do teaching after all. It worked well for me because I didn't have the faintest idea what I wanted to do in Year 11 :smile: but everyone's different! I can't say what a PGCE is actually like though yet, because I've not started, but I'm told it's extremely intense, whereas the BEd is by no means easy but is spread out over three years instead rather than one. Perhaps try and get some work experience where possible, and chat to some teachers about their own routes into teaching! When I observed at a school a few months ago, it really helped me decide what route to take.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,

Just some additional info about a course I am in my final year of, yet you haven't mentioned it.

There is a undergrad course called BEd Primary Education which is 3 years long and does not require a PCGE after as it includes Qualified Teacher Status- could be something to look into.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending