The Student Room Group

which unis to apply to

I can’t pick a fourth uni to study primary education. Can anyone pls give me some recommendations. I am looking at unis with BBB or higher entry requirements
thanks!
I went to see uni of reading for a primary education with music degree, but I didn't really see much there for music. However, their primary education course looked really good, and they have great resources, so I would deffo suggest having a look. I think their grades were about BBB but double check on ucas. Hope this helps!
Is this a qualification to get you on to primary school teaching?
Reply 3
Teaching degrees dont usually have high entry requirements - because they are looking for far more than just grades and courses select on interview/aptitude.

Most of the best Unis that teach QTS Primary as an undergraduate degree are ex-teacher training colleges that now have Uni status, they are not therefore 'big Unis' with high grade requirements. Look at Roehampton, St Marys Twickenham, Edge Hill, Bath Spa, York St John, Canterbury Christ Church, Winchester etc etc.

Or if you want to do a degree at a big Uni, do an undergrad degree in another subject and then do a PGCE to qualify as a teacher.
Reply 4
Original post by Funtimes01_
Is this a qualification to get you on to primary school teaching?

yes
Original post by michaela002
I can’t pick a fourth uni to study primary education. Can anyone pls give me some recommendations. I am looking at unis with BBB or higher entry requirements
thanks!

Hi @michaela002,

Upon successful completion of our BA (Hons) Primary Education with QTS, you will gain eligibility for QTS and have experience working with children aged 5-11 in your chosen subject.

Throughout the course, you will typically complete 120 days of placement within Key Stage 1 and 2 and Early Years Foundation setting, providing you with a broad range of experience.

Typical offers to join our course are 112-120 UCAS Tariff points, for which no specific subjects are required, plus GCSE English Language, GCSE Mathematics and GCSE Science at Grade C or Grade 4 or above (or equivalent).

For me to assist you further, do you have any questions about the course or the University? Is there something in particular that you are looking to find out to help you make your decision?

I hope this helps,

Melissa- Course Enquiries
Reply 6
BUMP
Reply 7
Original post by McGinger
Teaching degrees dont usually have high entry requirements - because they are looking for far more than just grades and courses select on interview/aptitude.

Most of the best Unis that teach QTS Primary as an undergraduate degree are ex-teacher training colleges that now have Uni status, they are not therefore 'big Unis' with high grade requirements. Look at Roehampton, St Marys Twickenham, Edge Hill, Bath Spa, York St John, Canterbury Christ Church, Winchester etc etc.

Or if you want to do a degree at a big Uni, do an undergrad degree in another subject and then do a PGCE to qualify as a teacher.

Hi, I’m also currently looking at unis for primary teaching, I expected that big unis would be best in any course, do you think there’s a reason the former HE colleges are better?
Also what do you think of former polytechnics like Cardiff met, MMU etc for teaching
Reply 8
Original post by charves14
Hi, I’m also currently looking at unis for primary teaching, I expected that big unis would be best in any course, do you think there’s a reason the former HE colleges are better?
Also what do you think of former polytechnics like Cardiff met, MMU etc for teaching

The best teaching degrees will be at the Unis that have always had a strong focus in this area - ie. they started life as Teacher Training Colleges - such as Roehampton, Chichester, Bath Spa, Edge Hill etc - and what you call 'ex-Polytechnics', because they were set up to provide vocational degrees, so yes, Cardiff Met, MMU, Brighton, Oxford Brookes etc. Schools/employers are not that impressed by 'big Uni', RG snobbery - its more about your placements and experience.
Reply 9
Original post by McGinger
The best teaching degrees will be at the Unis that have always had a strong focus in this area - ie. they started life as Teacher Training Colleges - such as Roehampton, Chichester, Bath Spa, Edge Hill etc - and what you call 'ex-Polytechnics', because they were set up to provide vocational degrees, so yes, Cardiff Met, MMU, Brighton, Oxford Brookes etc. Schools/employers are not that impressed by 'big Uni', RG snobbery - its more about your placements and experience.

Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending