The Student Room Group

Speech and language therapy

Heyy is there anyone applying for the speech and language therapy undergraduate course? I'm thinking of applying for it at City but I'm not sure of I should
Original post by Applejuice26
Heyy is there anyone applying for the speech and language therapy undergraduate course? I'm thinking of applying for it at City but I'm not sure of I should

Hi @Applejuice26
I’m a first year speech and language student at MMU and it’s amazing! What questions do you have about the subject?

Emily <3
I'm honestly stuck between psychology and speech and language therapy inwas wondering if there are any work experience I could get over summer which could give me an insight into speech and language therapy?
I'm honestly stuck between psychology and speech and language therapy inwas wondering if there are any work experience I could get over summer which could give me an insight into speech and language therapy?

Hi @Applejuice26
Before I did speech and language therapy I worked as a special needs teaching assistant at a primary school. It was fantastic! I’d ask around schools in your area as they are always in need of a teaching assistant. I also did an EPQ and other online courses independently so I could build my skill set. I couldn’t recommend SLT more as a subject. You work for tiny babies all the way up to the elderly and there’s so many different sectors you can work in. As well, as the government paying you to take the course - 5k in a bursary - the subject is very hands on and engaging.

any other questions don’t hesitate to ask,

Emily <3
Is the salary worth the job? This economic situation I'm not sure if the salary is good enough?
Is the salary worth the job? This economic situation I'm not sure if the salary is good enough?

Hi @Applejuice26
I’m a first year so am not yet out of uni in the jobs world but I’d say yes ! The massive shortage of this vital job will mean - economically - you should never be without work in theory. You can find work everywhere! Primary school, secondary school, NHS, private hospitals, ad hoc private therapist, the judicial system and so much more.
Maybe have a Google about the pay role and research further into where jobs for SLT are offered?

best wishes

Emily <3
Hi, I am thinking of studying Speech and Language Therapy. I am a mature student who has been a teaching assistant for years. I was wondering what the work load for the course is like and how many contact hours are at university each week and how many weeks placement.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I am thinking of studying Speech and Language Therapy. I am a mature student who has been a teaching assistant for years. I was wondering what the work load for the course is like and how many contact hours are at university each week and how many weeks placement.

Hi there
Amazing course to take and a great set of experiences by being a teaching assistant before hand ! I did half a year of teaching assistant- ing for SEN pupils and it set me up so well with skills I would need for this course. What has made you want to take this specific course ? The hours are pretty full on for this course. We are in most days every weeks usually from 9-4 or times around this. Sometimes in the weeks we would get Wednesdays off. The work outside of uni is sometimes optional and so really it’s how much work you want to put into the course that matters.

Best wishes
Emily

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending