The Student Room Group

2017 Oxford Prospective Students [part 2]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wolfmoon88
Wow ok then :rofl:

Oklahama City Thunder ain't that bad...

But they were originally the Seattle Supersonics.

Mickey Mantle or Merle Haggard would get my vote.
Original post by skitheeast
But they were originally the Seattle Supersonics.

Mickey Mantle or Merle Haggard would get my vote.

As a former Sonics fan, that's definitely fair :yep:

And as a NYY fan, Mantle is a great choice, I approve :yep:
Is there a Facebook group for offer holders?
Original post by rugratsrus
As a Texan (@fablereader was born in Texas), the only good thing to come out of Okie territory was Oklahoma! :wink:

I'm technically half Oklahoman does that mean I am only half good (is that why I was deselected*)

*I like to believe that I got an interview because I was wished good luck by a Santa Claus-esque person
Original post by fyrebirds

"Oxford University Offer Holders 2017/18"
Original post by auburnstar
I'm technically half Oklahoman does that mean I am only half good (is that why I was deselected*)

*I like to believe that I got an interview because I was wished good luck by a Santa Claus-esque person

I've just come back, and I've honestly no clue what's with all this Oklahoma business ...

That and the fact you were good enough for an interview. :smile:
Original post by fablereader
I've just come back, and I've honestly no clue what's with all this Oklahoma business ...

That and the fact you were good enough for an interview. :smile:

I mentioned my Oklahoman relatives asking whether Oxford was a university...

And thank you! :smile:

Hahaha I'm glad I don't have an Okie accent. Or inherited the trailer trash talk of everything being a 'deal'. (One member of the trailer trash side of my family came down at 9am with a slushie cup full of beer......)
I mentioned my Oklahoman relatives asking whether Oxford was a university...

And thank you! :smile:

Hahaha I'm glad I don't have an Okie accent. Or inherited the trailer trash talk of everything being a 'deal'. (One member of the trailer trash side of my family came down at 9am with a slushie cup full of beer......)

I got that. After that, though, I started to get lost.
Original post by fyrebirds

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1806349706278661/
Original post by NeverLucky
Yeah...jokes aside...

It's worse than Durham.

Don't push your luck, there's no Doxbridge...
Finally got my rejection letter in the mail today :/ :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha. I can only imagine what Okie's say about Texans. Heck, I probably know as most of the world probably says the same things about Texans.

*There are plenty of times I want to hide in shame about my Texan roots. I have firmly refused to ever move back there now. Which is a shame as it was once a lovely place. I do miss the mom and pop donut shops though.
Haha. I can only imagine what Okie's say about Texans. Heck, I probably know as most of the world probably says the same things about Texans.

*There are plenty of times I want to hide in shame about my Texan roots. I have firmly refused to ever move back there now. Which is a shame as it was once a lovely place. I do miss the mom and pop donut shops though.

Other than politics and some social stuff, most things I've heard about Texas are pretty positive :yep: Most Texans I've met are really nice and down to earth people and a lot of people I know end up in Rice, UTAustin, Texas A&M, Baylor, etc... for university.

I just don't like Texas sports teams but that's just a personal preference :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finally got my rejection letter in the mail today :/ :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lucky you, I haven't got one. What're you going to do with it? :biggrin:
Lucky you, I haven't got one. What're you going to do with it? :biggrin:

It's sitting on my table rn... idk might hang it on my wall as motivation to do better on exams as I can one up Oxford with my exam results (ofc not but it might make me more motivated :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's sitting on my table rn... idk might hang it on my wall as motivation to do better on exams as I can one up Oxford with my exam results (ofc not but it might make me more motivated :smile:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd just use mine as motivation. I could really use some.
(edited 7 years ago)
Other than politics and some social stuff, most things I've heard about Texas are pretty positive :yep: Most Texans I've met are really nice and down to earth people and a lot of people I know end up in Rice, UTAustin, Texas A&M, Baylor, etc... for university.

I just don't like Texas sports teams but that's just a personal preference :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

They do say everything is bigger in Texas. :wink: Oklahoma is like Texas but smaller and shaped like a gun, which is a bit ironic if you think about it. xD

But most Texans are lovely as wolfmoon said. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha. My parents are huge Texas Rangers fan. HUGE. We humor them but I am not big into sports.

To me, Texas has turned into a concrete jungle. I grew up in a one stoplight town that is one of those new 'yuppie' places now. It brings sad memories.

But you, in general, are right. The people as individuals can be extremely friendly. It has just turned a bit ugly lately with 'the politics and social stuff' but this could be said around many places in the States.

If you think about it, you could replace almost any area in the last paragraph. We, as a country and community, have become much more polarized and unwilling to listen when puts a stain on the hospitality which is usually so forthcoming.

But alas, we are in the UK now. And I do not miss the guns and the concrete. I do sometimes miss the heat. Ok, I miss the heat lots.
I'd just use mine as motivation. I could really use some.

I'll give you some motivation! Study or the Terry Pratchett books are going to 'get it'. You know I will do it. You will never find them. *evil cackling*
I'll give you some motivation! Study or the Terry Pratchett books are going to 'get it'. You know I will do it. You will never find them. *evil cackling*

Cruel and inhumane. Cruel and inhumane punishment. I'm doing my Maths right now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending