The Student Room Group

British Citizen Ineligible for Student Loan?

Hey guys,

I've looked at this and other relates links: https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-for-student-finance and found out that as a British passport holder but having only lived in the UK for my GCSE's back in 2015-2017, I'm ineligible for student finance, a master's loan, and most other funding for postgraduate study. According to criteria, since I've lived overseas for the most part of my life, I technically classify as an international student but am also ineligible for any kind of loan here in China where I've been studying for the past seven years. Other than applying for independent scholarships and grants then, is there any way to get a local student loan or is my only other option borrowing money from friends and family?

Extra info:
* I'm currently living in China
* I lived in the UK between 2015-2017
* I'm a British citizen
* I'm currently finishing my undergrad in philosophy at Tsinghua
* I'm applying for the MSt in Practical Ethics at Oxford
Original post by dracollavenore
Hey guys,
I've looked at this and other relates links: https://www.gov.uk/apply-online-for-student-finance and found out that as a British passport holder but having only lived in the UK for my GCSE's back in 2015-2017, I'm ineligible for student finance, a master's loan, and most other funding for postgraduate study. According to criteria, since I've lived overseas for the most part of my life, I technically classify as an international student but am also ineligible for any kind of loan here in China where I've been studying for the past seven years. Other than applying for independent scholarships and grants then, is there any way to get a local student loan or is my only other option borrowing money from friends and family?
Extra info:
* I'm currently living in China
* I lived in the UK between 2015-2017
* I'm a British citizen
* I'm currently finishing my undergrad in philosophy at Tsinghua
* I'm applying for the MSt in Practical Ethics at Oxford

Hi there,

Can you please tell us when you intend to begin your course at Oxford?

Thanks, Graeme
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,
Can you please tell us when you intend to begin your course at Oxford?
Thanks, Graeme

Hi Graeme,

I intend to begin 30 September 2024.

Thanks, Daniel
(edited 1 month ago)
Hi Graeme,
I intend to begin 30 September 2024.
Thanks, Daniel
Hi Daniel,

Were you born in the UK? Whilst you have been living in China did you maintain a relationship with the UK?

Thanks, Ross
Original post by Ross SLC
Hi Daniel,
Were you born in the UK? Whilst you have been living in China did you maintain a relationship with the UK?
Thanks, Ross
Hi Ross,

I was born in Dubai and have moved around for most of my life due to my parents' occupations. I've never really spent more than 2 years in any one place, the UK not being an exception. The longest I've ever spent continually anywhere is China.

I don't really understand what you mean by maintaining a relationship with the UK. I have family who live there, and my grandma opened a joint savings account for me in her name which she adds about £100 into every birthday, but I personally do not pay taxes and have not contributed anything to the UK since leaving in 2017. I'm unsure if anything else counts which I might have failed to mention, do you mind elaborating more on what you mean by maintaining a relationship?

Thanks, Daniel
Your family might own/maintain property in the UK, or make frequent trips there.
Hi Ross,
I was born in Dubai and have moved around for most of my life due to my parents' occupations. I've never really spent more than 2 years in any one place, the UK not being an exception. The longest I've ever spent continually anywhere is China.
I don't really understand what you mean by maintaining a relationship with the UK. I have family who live there, and my grandma opened a joint savings account for me in her name which she adds about £100 into every birthday, but I personally do not pay taxes and have not contributed anything to the UK since leaving in 2017. I'm unsure if anything else counts which I might have failed to mention, do you mind elaborating more on what you mean by maintaining a relationship?
Thanks, Daniel
Thanks for confirming.

Maintaining a relationship with the UK is essentially like having a bank account, keeping a foot print in the UK.

I am sorry to say but you would not qualify for any support with us. You would need to of been Ordinarily Resident in the UK For at least 3 years prior to the first day of the first Academic Year of your course. As you have mainly been in China you would not meet the residency criteria.

Thanks, Ross
Original post by Admit-One
Your family might own/maintain property in the UK, or make frequent trips there.
It would appear that I don't have any relationship with the UK as it stands. Nonetheless, thank you for the elaboration!
Original post by Ross SLC
Thanks for confirming.
Maintaining a relationship with the UK is essentially like having a bank account, keeping a foot print in the UK.
I am sorry to say but you would not qualify for any support with us. You would need to of been Ordinarily Resident in the UK For at least 3 years prior to the first day of the first Academic Year of your course. As you have mainly been in China you would not meet the residency criteria.
Thanks, Ross
Thanks Ross.

A little disappointing, but to be expected. Appreciate the feedback :grin:

Cheers!
Thanks Ross.
A little disappointing, but to be expected. Appreciate the feedback :grin:
Cheers!
You're welcome!
It might be worth speaking to the university you wish to study with, to see if the know of alternative funding options.

Thanks
Claire
Original post by Claire SFE
You're welcome!
It might be worth speaking to the university you wish to study with, to see if the know of alternative funding options.
Thanks
Claire
Will do!

Thanks Claire :grin:
Will do!
Thanks Claire :grin:
You're welcome!
Have a nice day!
Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply