The Student Room Group

need help A level ( comment fast)

i have started my as level this year . but from then to now i am really facing difficulties in subjects . i am studying biology , chemistry and math . i am not in confident of my any subjects. recently i got very poor result in mocks ( c in math, d in biology and e in chemistry)
need help
how i manage my time
how to study
how many hours should i have to study to get A GRADE

i m really facing difficulty in exam questions and managing my time

please suggest me tips how i can improve
waiting for all of yours tips
thanks
No one can tell you these things as they're very personal to you. You have to work them out for yourself. Start with thinking about what you're struggling with in terms of your exams. Are you reading and understanding the question? Do you lack factual knowledge or are you struggling with essay type questions? In terms of managing your time, start early, make a study plan and stick with it. Go over the material again and again till you know it well and make sure you understand everything. Maybe sit with the syllabus and work out what you know and don't. Do some timed mock tests by yourself for practise,
How many hours of studying required to get an A grade is completely based on you and how you learn. TBH if you're halfway through As Year and you're facing difficulties now; That's not good. It will only get harder. However, I believe with hard work you'd be able to achieve an A

For Maths, First and Most important study tip: DO NOT EVER SKIP A QUESTION AND GIVE UP HALFWAY
THROUGH. Many people tend to jump to easier questions once confronted by a difficult one. Another Tip I'd recommend is after you finish a module: do a past paper. Many Papers. What I do is I keep a past paper spreadsheet to record all the exam papers I have done (in order from Jan2006-Solomon Papers) and see which questions I have answered wrong.

For Chem... Well, you can use a revision website called "Chemrevise". It's really handy and condenses all the notes from the text book,as well as covers everything on the specification.

Bio? No experience, but I've heard it's a memory game, so I would suggest using mind maps and flash cards.

It all comes down to how much you enjoy the subject and how well you manage your time. These are my tips, feel free to use them, and Bob's your uncle😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by EnglishNoobC
How many hours of studying required to get an A grade is completely based on you and how you learn. TBH if you're halfway through As Year and you're facing difficulties now; That's not good. It will only get harder. However, I believe with hard work you'd be able to achieve an A

For Maths, First and Most important study tip: DO NOT EVER SKIP A QUESTION AND GIVE UP HALFWAY
THROUGH. Many people tend to jump to easier questions once confronted by a difficult one. Another Tip I'd recommend is after you finish a module: do a past paper. Many Papers. What I do is I keep a past paper spreadsheet to record all the exam papers I have done (in order from Jan2006-Solomon Papers) and see which questions I have answered wrong.

For Chem... Well, you can use a revision website called "Chemrevise". It's really handy and condenses all the notes from the text book,as well as covers everything on the specification.

Bio? No experience, but I've heard it's a memory game, so I would suggest using mind maps and flash cards.

It all comes down to how much you enjoy the subject and how well you manage your time. These are my tips, feel free to use them, and Bob's your uncle😄

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
No one can tell you these things as they're very personal to you. You have to work them out for yourself. Start with thinking about what you're struggling with in terms of your exams. Are you reading and understanding the question? Do you lack factual knowledge or are you struggling with essay type questions? In terms of managing your time, start early, make a study plan and stick with it. Go over the material again and again till you know it well and make sure you understand everything. Maybe sit with the syllabus and work out what you know and don't. Do some timed mock tests by yourself for practise,

You said very well

Are you doing A levels
Reply 5
Original post by Qer
i have started my as level this year . but from then to now i am really facing difficulties in subjects . i am studying biology , chemistry and math . i am not in confident of my any subjects. recently i got very poor result in mocks ( c in math, d in biology and e in chemistry)
need help
how i manage my time
how to study
how many hours should i have to study to get A GRADE

i m really facing difficulty in exam questions and managing my time

please suggest me tips how i can improve
waiting for all of yours tips
thanks

First a C for maths is great at this point. You have plenty of time to get to an A before the real exams. For maths I would say do at least one past paper a week starting from next week and then mark it and where you didn't get full marks in a question go on exam solutions or look at arsey's model answers.
For biology a D isn't bad at this point as most people I know who did biology got from D-U in their real exam, but again you have time to improve.

For biology I would recommend getting a piece of paper and bullet point processes and definitions into simple terms putting it into words you find easier and more effortless to memorise. I would aim for revising the content with six weeks before the exam to spare. In those six weeks do 1 past paper a week, mark it and correct any errors than do a similar question to see if you get it right and so on.

For chemistry I would recommend using past papers for definitions and processes. Even though you may be doing the new specification you can still use old specification past papers as aspects of the marking will be similar.

However don't let all your time be consumed by one subject and spread your revision out evenly.

Hope this helps and good luck getting an A 😁
Reply 6
How I managed my time? I don't even know. You might have to figure that one out.
How to study? It all depends on you. Personally I study well in groups. I prefer small groups of 2 or 3 people. Anything larger may led to not getting work done. The people in the group have to be people with the same goals as you or else they will just waste your time. Past papers are your friend.The best way to use past papers is to study a topic. Then answer past paper questions on it. When you are marking yourself don't cram the answers but understand why your answer might have been incorrect.
How many hours should you study to get an A. Study for as long as you can and for as long as your mind can handle studying. I usually study for 4 hours on a good day. On a bad day I study for 30 minutes. I know that my mind can handle an hour and a half of studying with no break provided that i have company. So you just need to figure out what works for you.
Reply 7
For maths revise the content. Then do a past paper. Mark it. Then identify where u went wrong, how u went wrong using exam solutions. Then do some practice questions on the topic and repeat.

For chemistry i highly recommend a youtuber, E Rintoul, he does fantastic chemistry videos.

I speak from experience as i am in my as year and these help me with chem and maths.

Cant speak on biology tho because i dont do it.

Quick Reply

Latest