The Student Room Group

How to talk to a guy

Hi guys, I am into a family friend of mine and he is in year 11 and I am in year 12 currently. Our families are friends but we don’t see each other regularly but have mural connections and say hi whenever we cross paths etc. Previously he would like my insta stories of quotes/landscape pics but however recently he liked a pic of my and my friend on my story and then 2 days after I posted another landscape which he liked and then again after. As he’s a year younger I offered to lend some of my books to help and so he wanted them and we met up briefly and gave him the books, it wasn’t awkward but quick and we spoke a bit also. How can I develop this into a friendship and possibly a relationship? He also has very fast and does not blunt replies but doesn’t pop up himself, however whenever I do he always continues the conversation too. Do you think he’s interested too? The age is a bit different but we have roughly 9 months between each other so it’s not too bad. How can I talk more with him and stay in contact/ get him to also reach out for non school related stuff as I usually use that as an excuse to talk.
Reply 1
Do you think he likes me?? How can I make more conversations as we don’t go to the same school?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys, I am into a family friend of mine and he is in year 11 and I am in year 12 currently. Our families are friends but we don’t see each other regularly but have mural connections and say hi whenever we cross paths etc. Previously he would like my insta stories of quotes/landscape pics but however recently he liked a pic of my and my friend on my story and then 2 days after I posted another landscape which he liked and then again after. As he’s a year younger I offered to lend some of my books to help and so he wanted them and we met up briefly and gave him the books, it wasn’t awkward but quick and we spoke a bit also. How can I develop this into a friendship and possibly a relationship? He also has very fast and does not blunt replies but doesn’t pop up himself, however whenever I do he always continues the conversation too. Do you think he’s interested too? The age is a bit different but we have roughly 9 months between each other so it’s not too bad. How can I talk more with him and stay in contact/ get him to also reach out for non school related stuff as I usually use that as an excuse to talk.

You've got several options... for instance you could:-

1) build on the things he's liked about you on Instagram, and ask what he liked about your pictures stories etc. Maybe say that his "likes" complements etc. mean a lot to you.

2) How do your families know each other? Maybe make a flippant comment about how you don't see each other as much as you'd like?

3) Arrange some tutorial time or group study at some point (maybe not now, as he'll probably have GCSE's, so will need to focus).

4) Do you follow him on social media as well? Comment on the sort of things you see him doing, especially if he displays a talent of some kind (guys LOVE to have their egos stroked).

5) Bite the bullet, and just suggest that you go out and do something fun together (e.g. bowling; swimming; a trip to an amusement park... or whatever takes your fancy). If that sounds too much like a date, maybe turn it into a group activity and invite a few mutual friends?

Do you think he likes me?? How can I make more conversations as we don’t go to the same school?

Impossible for any of us to say, without knowing more about him, you and the dynamic... but it's certainly a possibility. As for your second question, please see above
Reply 3
Original post by Old Skool Freak
You've got several options... for instance you could:-

1) build on the things he's liked about you on Instagram, and ask what he liked about your pictures stories etc. Maybe say that his "likes" complements etc. mean a lot to you.

2) How do your families know each other? Maybe make a flippant comment about how you don't see each other as much as you'd like?

3) Arrange some tutorial time or group study at some point (maybe not now, as he'll probably have GCSE's, so will need to focus).

4) Do you follow him on social media as well? Comment on the sort of things you see him doing, especially if he displays a talent of some kind (guys LOVE to have their egos stroked).

5) Bite the bullet, and just suggest that you go out and do something fun together (e.g. bowling; swimming; a trip to an amusement park... or whatever takes your fancy). If that sounds too much like a date, maybe turn it into a group activity and invite a few mutual friends?

Impossible for any of us to say, without knowing more about him, you and the dynamic... but it's certainly a possibility. As for your second question, please see above

Thanks for replying! Yes I was definitely thinking of asking him to go for an activity once both of our exams are done for a celebration. Our families know each other as we are from the same background and so there’s occasions I see him at weddings or every now and then we go over to theirs. I was planning to text him as we follow each other on insta although he’s not someone who posts much, and ask if he came to the wedding if he was there? I just feel like making conversation sometimes is odd or as though I need an excuse as my little sister is 2 years below and so they are also friends.
Thanks for replying! Yes I was definitely thinking of asking him to go for an activity once both of our exams are done for a celebration. Our families know each other as we are from the same background and so there’s occasions I see him at weddings or every now and then we go over to theirs. I was planning to text him as we follow each other on insta although he’s not someone who posts much, and ask if he came to the wedding if he was there? I just feel like making conversation sometimes is odd or as though I need an excuse as my little sister is 2 years below and so they are also friends.

Summer's just around the corner, and he won't have any study commitments until September.

No excuse needed to arrange something. Furthermore, if we've got good weather, that's an even better excuse to try and arrange something :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by Old Skool Freak
Summer's just around the corner, and he won't have any study commitments until September.

No excuse needed to arrange something. Furthermore, if we've got good weather, that's an even better excuse to try and arrange something :wink:

Yeah definietly summer would be a good idea but I believe once the school holidays begin he will go back to our home country where he will stay for the whole holidays as we usually do that when any of us return back. So I think best chance I have is July once my exams are done end of June also as they wouldn’t have left yet due to younger siblings going to school so he should have more free time
Reply 6
What’s the best way to start talking more and have him also pop up as he is a bit shy but when I pop up he’s quite talkative, fast replies, and polite and not blunt but I have popped up on all 2-3 occasions we have spoken online but when we speak in person it’s very flowy and we talk a lot without any awkwardness.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending