The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TorpidPhil
Okay, I take it back.

The police officer gave no warning of her use of a taser that the person could realistically respond to.

Nor did she aim it in the first place. What she should have done was grab him properly as he was leaving the gate but she was a bit... timid and weak.

She needed to notify him she was going to use a taser and hip firing it without notification is simply unacceptable.

Still, -if- she did those things then it would have been lawful use.

Maybe if she had done that then he would have decided to stop and reason with them though he had EVERY right to show annoyance at the situation given the history.
Original post by StrawbAri
Maybe if she had done that then he would have decided to stop and reason with them though he had EVERY right to show annoyance at the situation given the history.

The police officers in the scenario had no ability to know that.

The police officers were however clearly concerned that they my not have been in the right arresting him, hence why they didn't make it clear that they won't allow him to go home without identifying himself. That was poor as well.

I don't think this scenario is 'shocking, brutality' so much as it is this female police officer is a useless fat piece of ****. Like most female police officers unfortunately. She should be sacked, but it sure isn't endemic of some mass plot to hunt down rasta men...

She won't be sacked though because good female police officers are rare and there are quotas to fill now... Wouldn't want to be seen as the sexiest police force!
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't think this scenario is 'shocking, brutality' so much as it is this female police officer is a useless fat piece of ****. Like most female police officers unfortunately. She should be sacked, but it sure isn't endemic of some mass plot to hunt down rasta men...

It is fairly shocking and brutal use of a Taser, imagine having electrically charged barbed spikes fired into your face. That is really is brutal.

i do agree though, the female officer is ****ing incompetent and has no place wielding a firearm or being in the police force.
Original post by Willy Pete
It is fairly shocking and brutal use of a Taser, imagine having electrically charged barbed spikes fired into your face. That is really is brutal.

i do agree though, the female officer is ****ing incompetent and has no place wielding a firearm or being in the police force.

It wasn't intentional though.

Police brutality is entrapment of black guys, harassment, or taking guys into the back of police vans to beat them up etc

Firearm?

WTF are you on about?
It wasn't intentional though.

Police brutality is entrapment of black guys, harassment, or taking guys into the back of police vans to beat them up etc

Pretty sure this falls into the harassment category and undue force.
Pretty sure this falls into the harassment category and undue force.

How is it harassment? They questioned him randomly on the street? Undue force is more debateable. They had the legal right to arrest him but they didn't inform him of that or that they intended to arrest they just went pretty hands on. The biggest failure here really is not telling him he is under arrest - he has the right to defend himself from being grabbed by police officers if not under arrest.

Which in turn makes the abrupt taser usage even more wrong actually.

Original post by joe cooley
Firearm?

WTF are you on about?

A taser is classified as a firearm.
(edited 7 years ago)

At the age of 63 no less.

The police officers in the scenario had no ability to know that.

The police officers were however clearly concerned that they my not have been in the right arresting him, hence why they didn't make it clear that they won't allow him to go home without identifying himself. That was poor as well.

She won't be sacked though because good female police officers are rare and there are quotas to fill now... Wouldn't want to be seen as the sexiest police force!

What I don't understand is why a suspected criminal would be living life normally, walking his dog etc even though he knows he has been wanted by the police since 2009.
Or weren't these new officers fully briefed before they went out looking for the criminal of the incident that happened in the past?
Original post by StrawbAri
At the age of 63 no less.

What I don't understand is why a suspected criminal would be living life normally, walking his dog etc even though he knows he has been wanted by the police since 2009.
Or weren't these new officers fully briefed before they went out looking for the criminal of the incident that happened in the past?

It happens a lot tbh. The whole point is that he would be living a double life... Lecturing publically under a different moniker and address. Or just online... Etc etc. He may not know the police are onto him or suspect them.

They probably weren't fully briefed no, but hey, dunno the specifics on that side of it.

I doubt they were though given that they were clearly indecisive as to whether this was the guy they wanted or not.
How is it harassment? They questioned him randomly on the street? Undue force is more debateable. They had the legal right to arrest him but they didn't inform him of that or that they intended to arrest they just went pretty hands on. The biggest failure here really is not telling him he is under arrest - he has the right to defend himself from being grabbed by police officers if not under arrest.

Which in turn makes the abrupt taser usage even more wrong actually.

So in essence, he acted lawfully and the police officers did not.

They didn't arrest him until after they shot him in the face, whether intentional or not it is still brutality. The use of firing of the Taser was not necessary, the victim was not attacking the officers he was defending himself from what I think we can both agree was heavy handed police.
So in essence, he acted lawfully and the police officers did not.

They didn't arrest him until after they shot him in the face, whether intentional or not it is still brutality. The use of firing of the Taser was not necessary, the victim was not attacking the officers he was defending himself from what I think we can both agree was heavy handed police.

Correct.

Upon further analysis, he acted lawfully. The police officers didn't.

HOWEVER. What we shouldn't be doing as society is ranting about how police are evil and target rasta men. Both police officers here failed at their job. They were incompetent themselves. There's no reason to believe they would have treated a white men any different. It isn't an example of the institutional issues in the police... Which is what some people were suggesting and what triggered me haha.

My apologies.

I wouldn't call the grabbing him heavy handed though, more panicked. They didn't know what to do but didn't want to let him off incase he was the one so they panicked and pulled him out of the gate. No idea what the woman was thinking to look so lackadaisical when the colleague dragged her out then apparently him bumping into her makes her wake the **** up and **** herself and shoot the taser from the hip.

Her saying taser taser, you've been tasered after is actually cringe-worthy. I pity the woman as she must be very humiliated, but she does need the sack. good intentions I guess, but... useless at the job.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Len Goodman
His own fault. Don't mess with the police and they won't mess with you. Simple as that.

That statement is demonstrably wrong when they tried to arrest him for something he hadn't done.
Correct.

HOWEVER. What we shouldn't be doing as society is ranting about how police are evil and target rasta men. Both police officers here failed at their job. They were incompetent themselves. There's no reason to believe they would have treated a white men any different. It isn't an example of the institutional issues in the police... Which is what some people were suggesting and what triggered me haha.

My apologies.

I wouldn't call the grabbing him heavy handed though, more panicked. They didn't know what to do but didn't want to let him off incase he was the one so they panicked and pulled him out of the gate. No idea what the woman was thinking to look so lackadaisical when the colleague dragged her out then apparently him bumping into her makes her wake the **** up and **** herself and shoot the taser from the hip.

Her saying taser taser, you've been tasered after is actually cringe-worthy. I pity the woman as she must be very humiliated, but she does need the sack. good intentions I guess, but... useless at the job.

I don't think the police (other than the met) are inherently racist.

She is the sort of officer who give officers a bad name and furthermore gives those trained to use a Taser a bad name.

It is procedure to call out when a taser has been fired to ensure others are aware. Maybe she would be better suited to a desk job because I don't think anyone well ever trust her again.
Good decision
Correct.

My apologies.

I don't think the police (other than the met) are inherently racist.

She is the sort of officer who give officers a bad name and furthermore gives those trained to use a Taser a bad name.

It is procedure to call out when a taser has been fired to ensure others are aware. Maybe she would be better suited to a desk job because I don't think anyone well ever trust her again.

I haven't watched the video. But then i don't have to. I respect the police to use force, in their line of duty. They should be respected when addressed...
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Libertarian endorses state violence.

the man was resisting arrest and attacking the police. I don't endorse state violence. but this man was being violent. yes, it was wrong that they made a mistake regarding his identity, but that's what our ****ing justice system is for - to check the powers of the police. you don't get justice by ATTACKING the cops unless your life's in danger. take it to the courts.

This is why i can not take you guys seriously. State tasers black man trying to get in his house = fine. State takes some money of rich to give to fund a health care system = THE END OF THE WORLD.

oh my god
his race is so ****ing irrelevant
he was a man attacking the police
not "a black man" or "a rich man".

Such a confused ideology. All you stand for is state violence doing bad things and never doing anything that could have a net positive effect. State such protect the strong but never use its violence to do anything for the weak.

I stand more for common sense. which this man was not familiar with
attacking policemen is not too smart even if you're innocent.
I support libertarian/minimal statism, but if the police are accusing you of a crime that even you didn't commit, you must surrender for the police have the right to enforce their ends. their mistake of identity is meaningless. what if this was the RIGHT man? and why didn't he give them even his name?
I mean, what kind of standard are you suggesting here? that we can all just attack the police if they make mistakes?

Libertarianism: We have this violent social entity called the State and we must make sure it is violent in the worse possible way.

get over yourself, butter cup.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by john2054
I haven't watched the video. But then i don't have to. I respect the police to use force, in their line of duty. They should be respected when addressed...

Watch the video, it might give you actual understanding of the case.
Original post by sleepysnooze
the man was resisting arrest

They didn't arrest him till after they shot him.

All changes were also dropped.
Not just one of those cases, the second time it has happened to the same guy.

In which case the police should have learnt from the first mistake. If he got compensation from the police the first time, expect even more compensation from the police this time (especially since they incorrectly used a Taser).

I don't need to. I have been in enough 'fights' with the police, to know that they can seem like bullies sometimes. But i also know that they are doing a job, which needs to be done.

So he gets no sympathy from me i'm afraid.

Latest

Trending

Trending