The Student Room Group

Further Maths????

Are you allowed to do FP2 when you're in your AS year? My maths teacher thinks that you can't do it because it is an A2 module. I'm doing FM as a 5th A Level independently and want to do FP1, M1 and FP2 this year is it allowed.
Normally it is but why do it?
Original post by stoodent123
Are you allowed to do FP2 when you're in your AS year? My maths teacher thinks that you can't do it because it is an A2 module. I'm doing FM as a 5th A Level independently and want to do FP1, M1 and FP2 this year is it allowed.

I think you can do FP2 in AS.
I'm AS now and doing FP1 FP2 FP4
Yeah they are right you can do it, it would just seem easier too do another applied module instead. save FP2 and the rest for A2
Original post by (1)Quantum
Yeah they are right you can do it, it would just seem easier too do another applied module instead. save FP2 and the rest for A2

Personally I found it easier to get the hard ones (FP2!) over and done with so I have more time to concentrate on my other subjects in A2...
Original post by georgieb42
Personally I found it easier to get the hard ones (FP2!) over and done with so I have more time to concentrate on my other subjects in A2...

I guess that makes sense, hey if its easier for you :P
Reply 7
There are no rules about what you can do when - you could do FP2 at the age of 5 if you were capable - and FP2 is an allowable unit to put in AS Further Maths if you chose to ask for a grade in it this year.
Reply 8
Original post by Compost
There are no rules about what you can do when - you could do FP2 at the age of 5 if you were capable - and FP2 is an allowable unit to put in AS Further Maths if you chose to ask for a grade in it this year.

Ok thanks! But does this altogether equate to an AS- level even though one of the modules is A2?
Reply 9
Original post by (1)Quantum
Normally it is but why do it?

I would like to do maths at university and some of the courses require further maths A- Level and my school does not offer it
Yeah it does equate to an AS, for an AS you just need 3 modules
(edited 7 years ago)
I would like to do maths at university and some of the courses require further maths A- Level and my school does not offer it

Yes i get that but why would you want to do an A2 module like that at AS
Ok thanks! But does this altogether equate to an AS- level even though one of the modules is A2?

AS Further Maths has to contain FP1 and 2 units not in A level maths. That means FP2 is an option. It doesn't really matter anyway as you can just do units this year and not ask for an overall grade at AS in which case you could do anything that worked for you on your path to completing A level Maths and Further Maths next year.
I thought you had to do one pure and two applied modules in year 1? Or is that just what my school does...?

Quick Reply

Latest