The Student Room Group

Mature Veterinary Nurse Students

Hello!

I am considering applying for veterinary nursing for Sept 2018 entry! I am 30 years old :smile:

I was wondering if there are any other mature vet nurse students out there with advice?

I feel old hahaha, I have worked in the NHS/Healthcare for years and have finally decided to do what I have always wanted to do! I was considering adult nursing but I think vet nursing is my true calling!

Thanks guys!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,

I'm 23 and on the 15th Jan I applied for 5 different veterinary nursing degrees through UCAS, I left education in 2012 and have been working in the animal industry since in veterinary practices but mainly medical research and I've already been offered an unconditional place at the college of west anglia for the vet nursing and applied behaviour (my second choice) and an interview with middlsex uni for vet nursing (my first choice) and I'm awaiting replies from the other 3.

You have health care experience and that will go down nicely with the colleges/unis. My advice would be to get some hands on animal experience, namely in a practice. Really sell yourself in your personal statement and you'll have no trouble... Good luck!!
Reply 2
Original post by Liam19
Hi,

I'm 23 and on the 15th Jan I applied for 5 different veterinary nursing degrees through UCAS, I left education in 2012 and have been working in the animal industry since in veterinary practices but mainly medical research and I've already been offered an unconditional place at the college of west anglia for the vet nursing and applied behaviour (my second choice) and an interview with middlsex uni for vet nursing (my first choice) and I'm awaiting replies from the other 3.

You have health care experience and that will go down nicely with the colleges/unis. My advice would be to get some hands on animal experience, namely in a practice. Really sell yourself in your personal statement and you'll have no trouble... Good luck!!

Congratulations on your success so far :smile: I hope your interview at middlesex goes well!

Great advice. I am going to volunteer at my local rspca shelter and I've applied for a voluntary post with the pdsa. I already volunteer at my local cattery and have for many years.

Thanks again for your reply and good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Moonbrains
Congratulations on your success so far :smile: I hope your interview at middlesex goes well!

Great advice. I am going to volunteer at my local rspca shelter and I've applied for a voluntary post with the pdsa. I already volunteer at my local cattery and have for many years.

Thanks again for your reply and good luck!

No problem :smile: it's also worth baring in mind you don't have to do a degree to become a nurse, as there are level 3 courses available too but you might have trouble getting the funding.

I would try get in with the vets if the RSPCA site has any, lots of courses want to know if you've seen any operations, and whether you can handle the blood. I worked at a practice once and a student nurse had to quit after 2 weeks because she kept passing out in theatre
Reply 4
Hiya! Starting 2018 too and will be almost 32 when I start :smile: I applied now for a deferred entry as I had enough work experience and wanted to get the stress off my heart!
Don't feel old, it's never ever too late.
Have you considered the diploma route as well? it's cheaper and quicker and some practices actually prefer diploma nurses as their studies are more hands-on.
The veterinary industry is really challenging, proper hard core. Make sure you spend lots of time in practice to appreciate what you're getting yourself into :wink:
Happy to help with whatever you need, us oldies need to stick together right :wink: Good luck!
Reply 5
Original post by Liam19
No problem :smile: it's also worth baring in mind you don't have to do a degree to become a nurse, as there are level 3 courses available too but you might have trouble getting the funding.

I would try get in with the vets if the RSPCA site has any, lots of courses want to know if you've seen any operations, and whether you can handle the blood. I worked at a practice once and a student nurse had to quit after 2 weeks because she kept passing out in theatre

My current action plan is to do a 22 week access course before applying for a foundation degree in veterinary nursing :smile: I was going to study A levels long distance but the animal science access course at Nottingham Trent looks very good and after speaking to student finance I can get funding for that and the full foundation degree. I wasn't expecting to get full funding for everything and upon completion of the foundation degree they write off the loan you take for the access course.

I definitely will! I am going down tomorrow so will find out what they do healthcare-wise for the animals at the shelter.

That is a real shame for the nurse! Luckily as I work in a hospital I have seen a lot of (human) blood. I used to work on a dialysis unit too which is very blood heavy. I have seen facial reconstruction surgery it doesn't get much more barbaric then this :biggrin:

I am hoping my medical background will benefit my application. Its animal contact and handling I feel I need more experience in, as I have only worked closely with cats at the cattery... other then my own pet hamsters, dogs, rabbits, mice and cats.
Reply 6
Original post by Daphna.S
Hiya! Starting 2018 too and will be almost 32 when I start :smile: I applied now for a deferred entry as I had enough work experience and wanted to get the stress off my heart!
Don't feel old, it's never ever too late.
Have you considered the diploma route as well? it's cheaper and quicker and some practices actually prefer diploma nurses as their studies are more hands-on.
The veterinary industry is really challenging, proper hard core. Make sure you spend lots of time in practice to appreciate what you're getting yourself into :wink:
Happy to help with whatever you need, us oldies need to stick together right :wink: Good luck!

Hello! Thank you for the encouragement :h:

When you say diploma do you mean foundation degree or apprenticeship? I would love to do the most hands on option available! I have been looking and haven't seen any apprenticeships in or nearby my city unfortunately. My sister works for the PDSA in the marketing department and has been trying to give me a heads up on opportunities.

Haha yes we do! Not that we are that old in the grand scheme of things :wink:

I really want to get some experience in a busy practice. I imagine its similarly hardcore to front line NHS work so I am feeling somewhat prepared although I know it will be just as challenging as adult nursing :smile:
Reply 7
Not sure how to reply directly to your reply, sorry! :smile:
Here is some information about different training options:
http://www.rcvs.org.uk/education/i-want-to-be-a-veterinary-nurse/training-routes/
You'll be able to find more information about the degree option on UCAS.
Both a BSc and a diploma ("vocational training" - it's not apprenticeship) will have you graduate as an RVN, while the diploma is more hands on and the BSc is, obviously, more academic.
Take your time to look at your options, I'm not sure regarding applying for the diploma but for the BSc you have from September 17 to January 18 to apply for Sept 18 start so plenty of time :smile:
Make sure you know *exactly* what the academic and experience requirements for each training facility/university are - I've met people applying for nursing/vet med without knowing they needed work experience at all! It took me almost a year to make my plans and accumulate the required work experience for a BSc - the programs all over the country are extremely competitive.

I would recommend starting ringing vet practices in your area to see who takes work experience people - many of them don't due to insurance limitations. When you found somewhere, take advantage of your age and life experience to take it all in and learn as much as you can. Show willingness to do all that's required of you and always keep a pocket book and a pen with you to write down thoughts and experiences.

It's a really fun time if you grab it in both hands!
Reply 8
Hello!

I am considering applying for veterinary nursing for Sept 2018 entry! I am 30 years old :smile:

I was wondering if there are any other mature vet nurse students out there with advice?

I feel old hahaha, I have worked in the NHS/Healthcare for years and have finally decided to do what I have always wanted to do! I was considering adult nursing but I think vet nursing is my true calling!

Thanks guys!

Hi im a mature student too hoping to start this October (accepted an offer with middlesex), i'll be 26. You're never too old to do something that you want to do! I am also completing an access course which i am doing through distance learning so that i can still work full time.
With the degree route you get lots of hands on experience! At nottingham, the whole of year 3 you are on placement, and you spend a certain amount of weeks on placement throught year 1 and 2. But also Nottingham have an amazing animal house with lots of different species, and loads of cats roaming about! Thats where you'll spend your practical lessons. You should definitely go to an open day. I much prefered the idea of the degree route because the theory is just as important as the practical and it opens so many gateways if you want to progress on to other things. Obviously with the diploma, you dont get paid for it and no loan, so you'll be working full time with no wage unless you find an apprenticeship which then it will be apprenticeship wage.
If you are looking at the diploma route then try medivet, i know they arent a great brand but its somewhere to do your training. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Jade.1
Hi im a mature student too hoping to start this October (accepted an offer with middlesex), i'll be 26. You're never too old to do something that you want to do! I am also completing an access course which i am doing through distance learning so that i can still work full time.
With the degree route you get lots of hands on experience! At nottingham, the whole of year 3 you are on placement, and you spend a certain amount of weeks on placement throught year 1 and 2. But also Nottingham have an amazing animal house with lots of different species, and loads of cats roaming about! Thats where you'll spend your practical lessons. You should definitely go to an open day. I much prefered the idea of the degree route because the theory is just as important as the practical and it opens so many gateways if you want to progress on to other things. Obviously with the diploma, you dont get paid for it and no loan, so you'll be working full time with no wage unless you find an apprenticeship which then it will be apprenticeship wage.
If you are looking at the diploma route then try medivet, i know they arent a great brand but its somewhere to do your training. Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so much for all the information :shakehand:

Out of interest who are you doing your long distance access course through? Im pretty set on doing the access course at Nottingham Trent Uni but it will be a struggle financially because I won't be able to work full time plus paying rent. My plan is to save up what I can until then and just be poor haha. I can work bank shifts at the hospital for some income but I don't want to over do it because I will need to focus on the course.

Good luck to you getting in at Middlesex :crossedf::dance:

P.S Middlesex for vet. nursing is very popular! Im guessing it has a good reputation and facilities? It has 3 different bases you can study at as well?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Thank you so much for all the information :shakehand:

Out of interest who are you doing your long distance access course through? Im pretty set on doing the access course at Nottingham Trent Uni but it will be a struggle financially because I won't be able to work full time plus paying rent. My plan is to save up what I can until then and just be poor haha. I can work bank shifts at the hospital for some income but I don't want to over do it because I will need to focus on the course.

Good luck to you getting in at Middlesex :crossedf::dance:

P.S Middlesex for vet. nursing is very popular! Im guessing it has a good reputation and facilities? It has 3 different bases you can study at as well?

I'm doing it through the distance learning centre, you can't get funded for it unfortunately but I pay monthly which works out well and affordable! You can do it in as little time or long time as you want, I'm aiming to complete by June, which will be a year overall! Take a look on their website. Yea that's my issue too, I have bills etc to pay so I still need an income. Will you be commuting to uni?
Nottingham is amazing, the facilities and campus is lovely, that definitely would have been my next choice if I didn't get an offer from Middlesex.

I have seen better facilities elsewhere to be honest but Middlesex were the first uni to offer the veterinary nurse degree so I feel they've set the bar for everyone else if that makes sense and it's a 3 year course for a bachelors degree whereas everywhere else it's 4 years for the same degree. You also get a bigger loan being in London which will help me massively with my bills 🙈
Original post by Jade.1
I'm doing it through the distance learning centre, you can't get funded for it unfortunately but I pay monthly which works out well and affordable! You can do it in as little time or long time as you want, I'm aiming to complete by June, which will be a year overall! Take a look on their website. Yea that's my issue too, I have bills etc to pay so I still need an income. Will you be commuting to uni?
Nottingham is amazing, the facilities and campus is lovely, that definitely would have been my next choice if I didn't get an offer from Middlesex.

I have seen better facilities elsewhere to be honest but Middlesex were the first uni to offer the veterinary nurse degree so I feel they've set the bar for everyone else if that makes sense and it's a 3 year course for a bachelors degree whereas everywhere else it's 4 years for the same degree. You also get a bigger loan being in London which will help me massively with my bills 🙈

I see! Sounds perfect! I have never done distance learning, but I would struggle to afford paying for anything whereas I am entitled to an advanced learning loan for the access course at NTU and it will get me in with the UNI so I am guessing my chances of getting on the foundation degree will be greater as long as I do well.

I will be commuting yes and I don't drive. The NTU campus for the course is quite a way out of the center of Nottingham, about 1 hour+ on 2 buses from my current location but I am not tied to where I am living so would consider moving to a shared flat closer or even the student accommodation on-site but that is more expensive and makes it more difficult for me to get to the hospital to do bank shifts. Will you stay in dorms?

That's the only thing I wish was different :tongue: I wish it was a full bachelors! I would like to get a full bachelors but it will mean doing a top up degree elsewhere! A lot of placements though which is good too!
Reply 12
I see! Sounds perfect! I have never done distance learning, but I would struggle to afford paying for anything whereas I am entitled to an advanced learning loan for the access course at NTU and it will get me in with the UNI so I am guessing my chances of getting on the foundation degree will be greater as long as I do well.

I will be commuting yes and I don't drive. The NTU campus for the course is quite a way out of the center of Nottingham, about 1 hour+ on 2 buses from my current location but I am not tied to where I am living so would consider moving to a shared flat closer or even the student accommodation on-site but that is more expensive and makes it more difficult for me to get to the hospital to do bank shifts. Will you stay in dorms?

That's the only thing I wish was different :tongue: I wish it was a full bachelors! I would like to get a full bachelors but it will mean doing a top up degree elsewhere! A lot of placements though which is good too!

Ah fair enough, it's good you get funded for it! Is it part time? That's quite a distance isn't it, are you working in the city centre then? A lot of students get accommodation in the city centre and commute so you might be able to find someone to share a lift with to the uni? Or maybe if your going to be at uni most of the time and only commuting to work once or twice a week it might work out better to move closer to uni? Yea I'll be moving into halls.
Nottingham do the top up degree!
Original post by Jade.1
Ah fair enough, it's good you get funded for it! Is it part time? That's quite a distance isn't it, are you working in the city centre then? A lot of students get accommodation in the city centre and commute so you might be able to find someone to share a lift with to the uni? Or maybe if your going to be at uni most of the time and only commuting to work once or twice a week it might work out better to move closer to uni? Yea I'll be moving into halls.
Nottingham do the top up degree!

Its 3 days a week! 9:30-15:30 :smile: I work outside the city center but its easy to get to on a tram from the city center.

That would be good! I will definitely do some networking on here closer to the time but I am thinking I will move to a flat that is along the bus route to make things simpler both for uni and work! I would love to do dorms onsite but £120 a week is kind of pricey but I need to do some calculations adding travel expenses and such it may work out the same and so be worth staying in the halls!

How much are the dorms in middlesex? How do you feel about going into halls for the first time :biggrin:

So they do! That's very good to know and I would definitely like to do that to get the bachelors just a tiny shame it'll take 4 years but not a huge problem :wink: Do you have a backup plan if middlesex doesn't work out?
Reply 14
Its 3 days a week! 9:30-15:30 :smile: I work outside the city center but its easy to get to on a tram from the city center.

That would be good! I will definitely do some networking on here closer to the time but I am thinking I will move to a flat that is along the bus route to make things simpler both for uni and work! I would love to do dorms onsite but £120 a week is kind of pricey but I need to do some calculations adding travel expenses and such it may work out the same and so be worth staying in the halls!

How much are the dorms in middlesex? How do you feel about going into halls for the first time :biggrin:

So they do! That's very good to know and I would definitely like to do that to get the bachelors just a tiny shame it'll take 4 years but not a huge problem :wink: Do you have a backup plan if middlesex doesn't work out?

Yea, work out what the cheaper option will be. There are halls in the city centre where students stay as well, not sure how much they are though, its all on the website, so you kind of get the best of both worlds then.

The dorm im hoping to be staying in is £143 a week, but i guess thats where the bigger loan comes in to it! and also we have alot of placement in the first year which we can do anywere we want, so i can go back to my dads and save on accommodation costs if i want to! I can't wait to move in and get started! I've only spoke to one person who is possibly going to middlesex though, can't find anyone else :s-smilie:

Yea i was certain about getting a bachelors, might as well go the whole way! Well i have accepted an offer from middlesex, it just all depends on me passing this course which im sure i will but i also have to redo my science GCSE! which is ridiculous when my access course is the equivialant of 3 A levels which are all science subjects! Doesnt make sense but its one of my conditions in getting on the course. That could be the only thing that doesnt work out as im self learning. Full time working, studying an access course and now redoing my science gcse..... If worst comes to worst then i could go in to clearing but that could leave me with universities im not keen on so i'll probably hold off for another year!
Have you already applied for your access course? Will you move to dorms when your doing the veterinary nursing degree?
Original post by Jade.1
Yea, work out what the cheaper option will be. There are halls in the city centre where students stay as well, not sure how much they are though, its all on the website, so you kind of get the best of both worlds then.

The dorm im hoping to be staying in is £143 a week, but i guess thats where the bigger loan comes in to it! and also we have alot of placement in the first year which we can do anywere we want, so i can go back to my dads and save on accommodation costs if i want to! I can't wait to move in and get started! I've only spoke to one person who is possibly going to middlesex though, can't find anyone else :s-smilie:

Yea i was certain about getting a bachelors, might as well go the whole way! Well i have accepted an offer from middlesex, it just all depends on me passing this course which im sure i will but i also have to redo my science GCSE! which is ridiculous when my access course is the equivialant of 3 A levels which are all science subjects! Doesnt make sense but its one of my conditions in getting on the course. That could be the only thing that doesnt work out as im self learning. Full time working, studying an access course and now redoing my science gcse..... If worst comes to worst then i could go in to clearing but that could leave me with universities im not keen on so i'll probably hold off for another year!
Have you already applied for your access course? Will you move to dorms when your doing the veterinary nursing degree?

That seems about right, maybe even cheap for london :smile: although I remember my friends 10+ years ago going to London uni's and £100 p/w was considered extortionate but how things have changed haha.

I had a look into it and there's a lot of accommodation but I did find another hall on the college campus that is £99 per week which looks like a good option! That's great that you have your dads as an option too! My parents live in Nottingham but unfortunately not very convenient.

That is crazy! Its so silly they still hold so much value in the GCSE's when other courses cover the same skills and knowledge? And your doing the science GCSE long distance? Worth getting it out the way anyway! I mean I did my science GCSE back when I was 15 or whatever, I got a C, C double award but if I took the exams again I would probably fail so its kind of meaningless anyway haha. And yet doing the access to animal science covers me without having to do A-levels... it should be the same for Level 2/3 courses being equivalent to GCSE's.

Sounds like it will be challenging but at the same time it will totally prepare you for the degree! I remember NTU saying to me they are strict on the entry requirements because it is an RVN accredited course... its the same with all accredited courses in any area, they want those pesky GCSE's and the bare minimum of everything else! I thought they might let me slip through being mature but not the case haha. I just need to work on getting enough work experience in a vets not just the cattery and rspca shelter and I should be grand after finishing the access course.

I haven't applied yet! They aren't taking applications yet for it, course or funding-wise... but I have been in touch and awaiting a response to let me know when they will be taking applications! Woo hoo! Im so excited to do it :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I am also a mature (30) wannabe veterinary nurse and it is so stressful looking at training routes. I did gcse's A Levels and the a degree in performance but to get on to a veterinary nurse level 3 diploma course I need to retake my maths and science GCSE. Luckily I can take the level 2 veterinary care assistant course whilst still in my full time job and this means I only need to then resit the maths gcse to get onto the level 3 diploma. But need to find a practice that will allow me to train with them. In the mean time whilst doing the level 2 I am volunteering at a dog shelter, asking around at practices and doing other courses to assist and show a keen interest such as hydrotherapy and animal care etc but all come at a cost.

Fortunately I am at the moment working in the finance industry and have a well paid job....this leads me to my biggest concern. I seriously dont know know how I will afford my house/bills if I leave my job to do a training course. An advanced learning 24+ loan will cover course fees but its my living costs that are never going to be covered and living alone I have no support :frown: I dont know whether its worth speaking to head nurses to get any advice about what the best options would be. I have read a few times that some practices so have you on minimum wage whilst training but this would not cover my costs. Once qualified dropping to 18k plus will be a big cut in my salary but i can work this out because id be doing somethinv I am so keen to do but its getting through this initial training that i am struggling with.
Original post by Louiselj11
I am also a mature (30) wannabe veterinary nurse and it is so stressful looking at training routes. I did gcse's A Levels and the a degree in performance but to get on to a veterinary nurse level 3 diploma course I need to retake my maths and science GCSE. Luckily I can take the level 2 veterinary care assistant course whilst still in my full time job and this means I only need to then resit the maths gcse to get onto the level 3 diploma. But need to find a practice that will allow me to train with them. In the mean time whilst doing the level 2 I am volunteering at a dog shelter, asking around at practices and doing other courses to assist and show a keen interest such as hydrotherapy and animal care etc but all come at a cost.

Fortunately I am at the moment working in the finance industry and have a well paid job....this leads me to my biggest concern. I seriously dont know know how I will afford my house/bills if I leave my job to do a training course. An advanced learning 24+ loan will cover course fees but its my living costs that are never going to be covered and living alone I have no support :frown: I dont know whether its worth speaking to head nurses to get any advice about what the best options would be. I have read a few times that some practices so have you on minimum wage whilst training but this would not cover my costs. Once qualified dropping to 18k plus will be a big cut in my salary but i can work this out because id be doing somethinv I am so keen to do but its getting through this initial training that i am struggling with.

Hello! So nice to hear from another mature aspiring veterinary nurse :smile:

I'm not sure I can fully help you with your concerns however. Hopefully someone else can!

I am not sure if the degree option would be better for you if you could get a maintenance loan? But then again, if you have already done a degree you probably can't get funding, and even a maintenance loan might not be enough to cover your expenses/bills along with a part time job?

Its very tough especially if you are lowering your income considerably to make this happen. It often comes down to great sacrifice I am afraid.

My only thoughts are saving up before you start? This might mean putting off starting for a while. I am saving up every penny before I start my access course to compensate for the fact I will no longer be working full time during the course and I am still quite concerned about affording my rent. I also don't have the support of a partner or anyone :frown: my credit isn't great so can't get a loan of any sort either (and wouldn't really want to do that to be honest).

Luckily I work on a hospital bank system as an Auxiliary Nurse so I can easily get work around my studies and can get excellent rates of pay doing weekends and night shifts and my rent and bills are dirt cheap. I have no ties, no children, which is definitely a bonus in a way.

I hope you find a way to complete your studies without financial worries!
Hi All,

I am also looking to apply to uni this year to study a BSc (Hons) in Veterinary Nursing in 2018, I will be nearly 24 when i start after a career change as a food technologist.

Currently I am having a debate with myself whether I should do the degree (with College of Animal Welfare in Huntingdon) or look into the Level 3 Diploma route (again with the CAW). I have read up loads on both - I am struggling to decide as I will already have a BSc (Hons) degree in biology/chemistry by June next year. I enjoy academic learning as I like to learn as much as possible, however do I really need to do another degree in vet nursing to progress to e.g. management as an RVN? (I hope in the future to be a clinical coach in a referral practice and do the Advanced Dip AVN etc. so don't want to limit my chances of progressing).

I am just concerned that if I do the Level 3 Diploma I will be limiting my options, however as I already will have a degree (albeit not in veterinary nursing) would this really hold me back from e.g. teaching?

To be honest I think I will struggle more with the practical elements compared to the academic elements, so the Diploma is appealing to me as it is much more hands on.

Would love to hear people's thoughts :smile:

Thanks
A
Same boat about the income! However, I have been advised by the college of west anglia tutors when I attended the open day and a few vet practices that students on the DEGREE are NOT paid but students on the DIPLOMA can be... whether that sways anyone on their choice? I suppose when applying for placements it would be a question to ask, even if the sacrifice is to minimum wage... is hard though.
I am hoping to get into the animal nursing assistant course which the tutors call the pre-vet nurse course so fingers crossed I get onto it and then spend the year looking for a placement!

I hope everyone finds what they want too!!
Xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending