The Student Room Group

Veterinary science - University of Bristol

Wondering if anyone is in a similar situation? I’m a mature student 25f, single with two children. I’ve received an offer to study Veterinary science at Bristol uni which will require relocating. Looking at what people are doing regarding location etc or even if there is anyone else facing similar obstacles!
Also, say hello if you’re also an offer holder of any situation :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by alexaaj
Wondering if anyone is in a similar situation? I’m a mature student 25f, single with two children. I’ve received an offer to study Veterinary science at Bristol uni which will require relocating. Looking at what people are doing regarding location etc or even if there is anyone else facing similar obstacles!

Hi

Congratulations on your offer !
I’m a bit more mature (41! 🤦*♀️) and have three children 19, 10 and 9.
I’ve just started at the RVC and finished my first term.I can’t lie it’s tough and requires a lot of organisation and discipline. My first exam had me in tears but you know what , the extra wait I’ve had to be able to do this, my kids and my age is pushing me through.
Not sure about Bristol but at the RVC there are some compulsory attendance requirements elements but I’d say 70% you can watch the lecture recordings at home if need be. This has been a god send for me if I’ve had to be home to collect the children for example, as it’s a 1.5-2 hours each way commute to London for me. This is without even talking to the uni about it so if you were struggling I’m sure they would try and help too.
If you want it, go for it! I know it’s going to be hard work but I’ve got support at home and know it will be worth it in then end
Good luck x
Reply 3
Original post by alexaaj

Hi, Congratulations on your offer! 🙂

I'm also a mature student (31) who has applied to Bristol for the Graduate Entry. I'm still waiting to hear back (I'm currently on hold). I don't have any children, but my Husband and I are going to relocate if I do get a place on the course. We're looking to sell our current home and buy another towards Langford if everything is successful. I'm trying to find places close to the campus so then I can get back to my dogs throughout the day. It all depends on when I hear back and I'm trying to stay somewhat fluid with plans until things can be put in motion 😬 really hoping to hear back soon but it could be anytime between now and May 😅

What are your plans for relocating?

Hope to see you on campus in August/September 😀!
Reply 4
Just be aware that Bristol is a very expensive place to live - and accommodation is hard to find.
Its a constant battle especially after your first year, and for Vet you have the added issue of being based/taught at Langford, and moving around for placements.
Reply 5
Original post by RRID
Hi, Congratulations on your offer! 🙂

I'm also a mature student (31) who has applied to Bristol for the Graduate Entry. I'm still waiting to hear back (I'm currently on hold). I don't have any children, but my Husband and I are going to relocate if I do get a place on the course. We're looking to sell our current home and buy another towards Langford if everything is successful. I'm trying to find places close to the campus so then I can get back to my dogs throughout the day. It all depends on when I hear back and I'm trying to stay somewhat fluid with plans until things can be put in motion 😬 really hoping to hear back soon but it could be anytime between now and May 😅

What are your plans for relocating?

Hope to see you on campus in August/September 😀!

I’m so relieved that there are so many other mature students! Congratulations to you also, this middle period is a strange time isn’t it? You’re so fortunate that you own and can buy closer to the area, there are lots of houses available to buy but very few to rent.
My only option at the moment is to move to Corsham and commute which is a little bit annoying but still doable.
It’s a real logistical nightmare when factoring in being somewhere close enough to the uni but also an area with good schools and sports clubs.
I still need to get the grades to get in but I’m keeping everything crossed!
Reply 6
Original post by tllewellyn
Hi

Congratulations on your offer !
I’m a bit more mature (41! 🤦*♀️) and have three children 19, 10 and 9.
I’ve just started at the RVC and finished my first term.I can’t lie it’s tough and requires a lot of organisation and discipline. My first exam had me in tears but you know what , the extra wait I’ve had to be able to do this, my kids and my age is pushing me through.
Not sure about Bristol but at the RVC there are some compulsory attendance requirements elements but I’d say 70% you can watch the lecture recordings at home if need be. This has been a god send for me if I’ve had to be home to collect the children for example, as it’s a 1.5-2 hours each way commute to London for me. This is without even talking to the uni about it so if you were struggling I’m sure they would try and help too.
If you want it, go for it! I know it’s going to be hard work but I’ve got support at home and know it will be worth it in then end
Good luck x

Thank you for this! And just wow. That’s some real commitment right there. I’m shocked that you commute all of that way! I know that whatever solution I find will come at a cost but I’m trying to make sure that cost doesn’t fall completely on my children’s shoulders. It’s all a really hard juggling act to figure out where to live, school changes, what our lives would look like once all of that takes place. For a five year commitment I need to make the right choice for them.
If I could commute that would broaden the radius of potential places but I can’t be too far from their school as I’m their only caregiver 🤦🏼*♀️
Nightmare
Reply 7
Original post by McGinger
Just be aware that Bristol is a very expensive place to live - and accommodation is hard to find.
Its a constant battle especially after your first year, and for Vet you have the added issue of being based/taught at Langford, and moving around for placements.

Thank you, I’m very familiar with the area. And the vet/student lifestyle, I’m just reaching out to see if there are others in a similar situation to mine to see if there is much in the way of help/advice/support for students with families.
I don’t have children, but I am a mature student (27). I sold my house with my ex partner and moved back in with my parents (Birmingham) so commute to HK/HAU campus (having to do the 6 year course as I didn’t do a levels and my Vet nursing qualification is a diploma, not a degree). I was planning on buying a place near uni but the house never sold in time and I wouldn’t have been able to sort out a mortgage by the time I had quit my full time job in practice. I’ve gone to apply for vet med so so many times over the years, but for one reason or another never went through with the application. I regret not doing it sooner, but personally, it was naturally the right time. I can’t help with child advice but follow your dreams, it will be difficult either way but will 1000% be worth it. I know a girl who’s just graduated from Bristol and when I was talking to her about putting it as an option and commuting from Birmingham for just compulsory/practicals, she said it would be do able. I would speak to the university, I’m sure they would be supportive. Best of luck X

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending