The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough university Vs surry university

I just received an offer from both university . I got an offer to study criminology and sociology at surry and sociology with crimeology at Loughborough. Because both these university are average top ten I'm not sure what university to pick . Could anyone be able to give me some advice on what university I should make my final choose . Regards
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
World rankings put Loughborough way behind Surrey. Tbh Surrey has the prestige and the academic excellence, Loughborough is more student satisfaction
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by Livelovelife123
I just received and offer from both university . I got an offer to study criminology and sociology at surry and sociology with crimeology and Loughborough. Because both these university are average top ten I'm not sure what university to pick . Could anyone be able to give me advice on what university I should make my final choose . Regards

Yeah get an English degree, your grammar is atrocious, disgusting...

Yours Faithfully,
Maccarthy
Auto correct on my phone messed me up . You don't need to be rude .Regards
Original post by maccarthyblock
Yeah get an English degree, your grammar is atrocious, disgusting...

Yours Faithfully,
Maccarthy
Auto correct on my phone messed me up . You don't need to be rude .Regards

AutoCORRECT is supposed to correct you I swear?
I guess your phone is as retarded as you are...

Yours Faithfully,
Maccarthy
Original post by JooW
World rankings put Loughborough way behind Surrey. Tbh Surrey has the prestige and the academic excellence, Loughborough is more student satisfaction
thank you so much. I will keep this in mind ❤️💯
thank you so much. I will keep this in mind ❤️💯

I wouldn't: it's hopeless advice, though non-dangerous just because there's nothing to choose between these two.

Go to the one having the course you prefer the look of or is closer to your family home.
Reply 7
Original post by cambio wechsel
I wouldn't: it's hopeless advice, though non-dangerous just because there's nothing to choose between these two.

Go to the one having the course you prefer the look of or is closer to your family home.

It's not useless advice. A course at Loughborough is not going to be as academically rigorous as Surrey but that isn't a bad thing at all! It's good to assess what you want to get out of your time at uni and what you're gonna be doing. Lboro has been rated as having an absolute world class SU, so if you're into nights out, it suits. If you're never ever gonna use the SU, then you'll have other priorities. Of course, general feel for a uni from an open day like you say is the best thing.
Original post by JooW
A course at Loughborough is not going to be as academically rigorous as Surrey but that isn't a bad thing at all!

I'm old fashioned enough to feel that this would be a bad thing. I only don't think it's true.
Reply 9
Original post by cambio wechsel
I'm old fashioned enough to feel that this would be a bad thing. I only don't think it's true.

QS World Rankings rank Loughborough at #234. The only reason that Loughborough is so high in UK league tables is because of its amazing atmosphere; not its academic excellence. But Loughborough is in no way a poor university, I just believe Surrey has that edge academic wise!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JooW
QS World Rankings rank Loughborough at #234. The only reason that Loughborough is so high in UK league tables is because of its amazing atmosphere; not its academic excellence. But Loughborough is in no way a poor university, I just believe Surrey has that edge academic wise!

I think you don't know how to read those tables. The QS rankings make no reference to the rigour of the undergraduate degree, which here is the issue being discussed, and instead concentrate on factors largely irrelevant to the ordinary student experience. The domestic tables consider student satisfaction, it's true, but usually using the NSS data that asks whether feedback was timely and comprehensive, lecturers approachable &c. items that really do affect the quality of the learning experience.
I just received an offer from both university . I got an offer to study criminology and sociology at surry and sociology with crimeology at Loughborough. Because both these university are average top ten I'm not sure what university to pick . Could anyone be able to give me some advice on what university I should make my final choose . Regards

Hi Livelovelife123

Some interesting opinions here (although I would like to point out that saying our courses are not academically rigorous is nonsense).

You're making a big financial investment so it's completely understandable that you want the most informed choice you can.

You need to look at several things
1. Is the course what you want to do? Look at the descriptions, the modules and the options available and see which you think would suit you the best
2. What's the employability like? At the end of the day you're going to want a job - have a look at what careers help is available to you, what grads of both unis go on to do etc.
3. What's the location like? In terms of which is closer to home (if that's important to you), what are the living costs like, so you like where it is etc. Your're going to be spending 3 or 4 years of your life in that location - it makes sense that you like it
4. What's on offer other than your degree? Extra curricular stuff is important to prospective employers - see what's available for you to develop both as a person and academically.

Yes our student experience is important because happy, well rounded students are a) what employers look for and b) achieve much better degrees

At the end of the day it's entirely up to you and you have a little while to do some solid research to help you make up your mind.
It's not easy but when you've looked in to everything you'll have a gut feel for where is right for you.

Good luck with your decision :smile:

Vicky
If you haven't already, go to the open days. I'm currently at lboro. I had offers from Lboro and Surrey too and went to see both. It was between these two for me and I preferred lboro but we're all different. What the uni and town is like is very important to your experience at uni but you might not like what someone else likes. You don't seem to have said much about what you want from a uni. Yes, the course is important, but it's not the only thing.
Reply 13
Could I ask you did you get the rquired grades?
How strict are Loughborough
Original post by alexs2602
If you haven't already, go to the open days. I'm currently at lboro. I had offers from Lboro and Surrey too and went to see both. It was between these two for me and I preferred lboro but we're all different. What the uni and town is like is very important to your experience at uni but you might not like what someone else likes. You don't seem to have said much about what you want from a uni. Yes, the course is important, but it's not the only thing.
Reply 14
Guardian's rankings say go for Surrey but it's important to consider how reputable the course is for each university too.

Why not try reading reviews from actual students themselves and see if their opinions can help you make a decision?

https://www.studentcrowd.com/university-l1001282-s1008327-loughborough_university-loughborough
https://www.studentcrowd.com/university-l1003004-s1008471-the_university_of_surrey-guildford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending