The Student Room Group

Breaking News: MP's back brexit

Scroll to see replies

Well, they weren't going to go against the people were they.
Kind of amazing that this is really happening I thought they would try and block it in the end
Original post by Mathemagicien
cuck

[video="youtube;UYOy1tuVv3w"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYOy1tuVv3w[/video]
Reply 5
Original post by joe cooley
47 Labour MPs chose to ignore the will of the people.

Lets hope their constituents punish the scum when they're next up for election and the **** Ken Clarke.

I think they made fair points and had the right to vote against it. It wasn't blocked which is the main thing but there's a 48% who don't want to leave and many of the 52% that didn't want this kind of exit. MPs must also represent those who didn't choose to vote. Some constitutes voting leave overwhelmingly in which case they shouldn't have gone against it. I'm glad it's gone through, let's just hope the HOL don't delay it for a year.
Reply 6
It was the only right thing to do. MPs couldn't be in a position where they voted for the referendum and then decided to ignore the result.
Original post by zayn008
I think they made fair points and had the right to vote against it. It wasn't blocked which is the main thing but there's a 48% who don't want to leave and many of the 52% that didn't want this kind of exit. MPs must also represent those who didn't choose to vote. Some constitutes voting leave overwhelmingly in which case they shouldn't have gone against it. I'm glad it's gone through, let's just hope the HOL don't delay it for a year.

Indeed they have a right to vote how they saw fit, just as their constituents have the right to vote them out.

The referendum was a national vote, constituencies don't come into it.

Sorry, all you need to know about the 52% is that they voted to leave.

"Labour's Chris Bryant said he would go against the majority in his Rhondda constituency which backed Leave on June 23 and vote against the Brexit Bill.

He said: 'I am a democrat but I believe in the form of democracy that never silences minorities and I think the 48% in this country have a right to a voice and for that matter the 46% or the 45% or whatever the actual figure was in my constituency."

A form of democracy that never silences minorities
The utter state of the labour party
Reply 9
Original post by joe cooley
Indeed they have a right to vote how they saw fit, just as their constituents have the right to vote them out.

The referendum was a national vote, constituencies don't come into it.

Sorry, all you need to know about the 52% is that they voted to leave.

The referendum was advisory to the government, parliament then represents the people. That's how the parliamentary system works. I personally like the way theresa is going but I understand people's concerns and think they deserved to be heard to. We don't want some sort of tyranny of the majority, that's not how democracy should be.
To all Remainers/Remoaners/SJWs/ and the EU.
Original post by Mathemagicien
[video="youtube;avcyqp_10Yk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avcyqp_10Yk[/video]

:rofl:
someone needs to replace that with Vader's "Nooooooo" at the end of Revenge of the Sith :toofunny:
Funny how some of the serial remoaners like Anna Soubry toe the line when push comes to shove. Obviously carving out a new niche as an anti-Brexit figure on the 6 o'clock news but can't risk being deselected otherwise she would become completely irrelevant.

I guess Ken Clarke is planning on retiring at the next election.

Hopefully the Lords don't try to be stubborn, they approved the referendum bill in the end.
Original post by ManiaMuse
Funny how some of the serial remoaners like Anna Soubry toe the line when push comes to shove. Obviously carving out a new niche as an anti-Brexit figure on the 6 o'clock news but can't risk being deselected otherwise she would become completely irrelevant.

Hopefully the Lords don't try to be stubborn, they approved the referendum bill in the end.

His retirement has been long known, might have even been announced before the last election, certainly since

Posted from TSR Mobile

no he has long been a europhile so it would be kind of hypocritical of him to vote for it
Dunno if they should have had a referendum on such an important thing and deep down I think most of them regret voting for the referendum as they secretly thought they would win it
Original post by karl pilkington
Dunno if they should have had a referendum on such an important thing and deep down I think most of them regret voting for the referendum as they secretly thought they would win it

Too important for the "ordinary" people to decide, eh?

The peasant mentality is strong in this one......
Original post by karl pilkington
no he has long been a europhile so it would be kind of hypocritical of him to vote for it

He's not the only Tory europhile though surely, otherwise it wouldn't have become such a divisive issue for the party.
He's not the only Tory europhile though surely, otherwise it wouldn't have become such a divisive issue for the party.

He announced in June last year that he'd step down at the next General Election.

No, but in sophisticated politics, rather than the dumbed down version the media are presenting, aims are not achieved by losing votes but by winning support.

Two weeks ago "Downing Street sources" were saying that there wouldn't be a Brexit White Paper. One is going to be published, perhaps today. Does that matter? Yes, because MPs cannot simply abandon Brexit unless there is a clear public opinion move against it but they can and will wish to shape the form of Brexit. That is what lobbying is about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending