The Student Room Group

Aren't the Left so tolerant?

IMG_0823.JPG

Bunch of "anti-fascist" liberals protested Milo Yiannopolous' Berkeley speech.

AntiFa have to be put on the Terrorist black list.

Scroll to see replies

It is a real shame how far they have fallen. What ever happened to civil decency?
Original post by Mathemagicien
Here is a compilation of some of the ways anti-fascists are educating the Trump supporters on why they are wrong

It is a shame none of the "protesters" got shot.
Its very lucky that hasn't happened. If it did, the protesters would fire back. Even now, the protesters are seriously injuring people.

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/5rkhv4/milo_yiannopoulos_event_at_berkeley_canceled/dd807jx/

I was hoping the militarised US police might join in.
And add fuel to the shitstorm?

They seem all too keen to jump in when black folks are kicking up a fuss, but when a bunch of students do it they just shout at them from a balcony.
Because extreme right wingers are so accepting and loving. Maybe both are just as bad as each other
I feel like people are going to conflate the economic right with authoritarianism, and the economic left with liberalism/libertarianism, here, when both left authoritarians and right liberals/libertarians exist.
I don't think Milo's even fascist......

Original post by queen-bee
Because extreme right wingers are so accepting and loving. Maybe both are just as bad as each other

I have yet to see anybody do violent protests against feminists and such like, and mainstream feminism is probably the closest thing to the direct opposite of Milo possible.

:dontknow:
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I don't think Milo's even fascist......

I have yet to see anybody do violent protests against feminists and such like, and mainstream feminism is probably the closest thing to the direct opposite of Milo possible.

:dontknow:

I've never really liked milo but I don't get the need to protest over this one guy.

You associate feminism with only the left? Do right winger not have feminists among them?
I've never really liked milo but I don't get the need to protest over this one guy.

You associate feminism with only the left? Do right winger not have feminists among them?

I don't see this particular incident as a left/right thing in as much as SJW/Milo-esque thing, I was just finding the best fit I possibly could for being the exact possible opposite of this one dude.

That said I can't think of any recent far right protests where things have gotten particularly out of control. Worst protests of recent were the anti-trump ones afaik
Reply 10
It's pathetic and shameful, and before anyone tries to justify the violence with this whole 'it's okay to punch a nazi' meme that's been going around, I feel the need to point out that Milo Yiannopoulos is in no way a white supremacist, a nazi, a fascist (he's pro freedom and free speech which is the literal opposite of fascism :rolleyes:), or a member of the alt-right, all those groups actually hate him because he's gay, Jewish and has a black boyfriend, the best way to describe him would be a conservative provocateur, a professional troll if you like who will make extreme jokes in order to promote free speech and challenge political correctness and over-sensitivity.

One thing that all his opponents seem to have forgotten is that jokes and satire =/= actual opinion, no matter how much Buzzfeed tells you making a racist joke makes you a white supremacist, I shouldn't even have to say this, but people just lose their minds completely and become hysterical morons when it comes to Milo. And the most ironic thing is that they're doing all his publicity for him, if it wasn't for the protests, the riots, the outrage in the media and on twitter, he wouldn't have sell out tours, he wouldn't have 100,000s of subscribers on youtube and he certainly wouldn't have had an Amazon bestseller, yet why do people keep feeding the troll again and again, like any other troll, if you stop feeding him and getting so angry, he'll fade away, he'd be a nobody if people ignored him :facepalm:
I feel like you are conflating left-wing with SJWs.

I can assure you that most true leftists (not the mainstream, trendy anarchists) would rank SJWs among their (many) enemies.

Am I? How did I give off that impression? lol

True leftists?
Sorry alt righters, but preaching peace and non-violence isnt going to validate your intolerant and hateful views.
Original post by Olie
It's pathetic and shameful, and before anyone tries to justify the violence with this whole 'it's okay to punch a nazi' meme that's been going around, I feel the need to point out that Milo Yiannopoulos is in no way a white supremacist, a nazi, a fascist (he's pro freedom and free speech which is the literal opposite of fascism :rolleyes:), or a member of the alt-right, all those groups actually hate him because he's gay, Jewish and has a black boyfriend, the best way to describe him would be a conservative provocateur, a professional troll if you like who will make extreme jokes in order to promote free speech and challenge political correctness and over-sensitivity.

One thing that all his opponents seem to have forgotten is that jokes and satire =/= actual opinion, no matter how much Buzzfeed tells you making a racist joke makes you a white supremacist, I shouldn't even have to say this, but people just lose their minds completely and become hysterical morons when it comes to Milo. And the most ironic thing is that they're doing all his publicity for him, if it wasn't for the protests, the riots, the outrage in the media and on twitter, he wouldn't have sell out tours, he wouldn't have 100,000s of subscribers on youtube and he certainly wouldn't have had an Amazon bestseller, yet why do people keep feeding the troll again and again, like any other troll, if you stop feeding him and getting so angry, he'll fade away, he'd be a nobody if people ignored him :facepalm:

How is Milo a white supremicist, or neo-Nazi?
Reply 14
Original post by Johnny Sinner
Sorry alt righters, but preaching peace and non-violence isnt going to validate your intolerant and hateful views.

Who said it did? That's just a poor attempt at deflection from the real issue here which is people claiming they're against intolerance and hate, and then attacking people and setting things on fire, all while chanting 'Love Trumps Hate' :rolleyes:

Original post by _gcx

Exactly, I don't know how people claim he is :s-smilie:
Original post by Olie
Who said it did? That's just a poor attempt at deflection from the real issue here which is people claiming they're against intolerance and hate, and then attacking people and setting things on fire, all while chanting 'Love Trumps Hate' :rolleyes:

I care more about Nazis and white supremacists than a riot.
Reply 16
Original post by _gcx

He is a white supremacist in the eyes of people who rioted last night because if antifa admitted he isn't then they would have to look in at themselves and admit they have become what they claim to oppose fascists

I'm not claiming they are loving and accepting ... but they're not the ones who are currently setting fire to a university, and beating people to a pulp for holding "wrong" opinions.
Reply 18
Original post by limetang
I'm not claiming they are loving and accepting ... but they're not the ones who are currently setting fire to a university, and beating people to a pulp for holding "wrong" opinions.

Indeed, take Richard Spencer for example, the guy who invented the term 'alt-right', someone who is actually a white nationalist who holds white nationalist views. Sure, I find his ideology repulsive, but the thing is, as unpleasant as his views may be, I don't see him, or people like him going round assaulting people, rioting, setting fire to things, smashing windows, or even actively inciting violence in support of their political aims, the violence does indeed seem to be coming mostly from the far left, rather than the far right these days.

It's only a minority of extremists of course, but as someone who considers himself liberal and on the left (well kind of anyway), I find it deeply troubling how more moderate liberals and progressives have reacted to this, disregarding the right to free speech because it's someone they disagree with, and the 'it's okay to punch someone if they're a nazi' meme is still going strong since Trump's inauguration, even though in the vast majority of cases (like this one), the 'nazi' in question isn't a nazi at all.

All while those on the right are laughing their heads off at the collective madness and chaos on the left since Trump's election victory.
(edited 7 years ago)
It can't be long before these left wing fascist thugs takes the life of an innocent person.

Shameful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending