The Student Room Group

‘Blair’s babies’ even more rightwing than ‘Thatcher’s children’

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by fleky6910
Urmm no , Blair passed a bill to stop the building of new grammars in 1998,
Yes he did, Blair and Brown inherited one of the best economies ever. They could have easily maintained a surplus and spent it away in an economic boom. They ran a surplus for a short while but spent it away.
Again you show your lack of knowledge.

They kept the tory budget up until 2001, when they splurged it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_twlH_AG0A
Reply 21
Original post by gwaggy
Please someone explain left and right to me. Extreme left is Communism and extreme right Fascism? But it's more like a circle that bleeds into one another??

I get so confused

Fascism isn't right wing it is a form of authoritarian politics.

Extreme Right wing (not the far right) is full capitalism
Reply 22
For those who forgotten what the Blair years were like, watch this:

Original post by RedManc
They kept the tory budget up until 2001, when they splurged it.

Exactly you are helping my points!

Oh wait the year they scrapped the tory budget ,they went into deficit!
Reply 24
Exactly you are helping my points!

Oh wait the year they scrapped the tory budget ,they went into deficit!

I know I agree with what you are saying. However, you said that Blair overspent in the early years of his premiership.
Original post by RedManc
I know I agree with what you are saying. However, you said that Blair overspent in the early years of his premiership.

I meant early 2000's. The only reason he didn't overspend is because he used the tory budget!( I din't know this, thanks fo r giving me a good argument!) And its funny how they went into deficit after abandoning the tory budget which means you helped my point. Thanks for the support!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gwaggy
Please someone explain left and right to me. Extreme left is Communism and extreme right Fascism? But it's more like a circle that bleeds into one another??

I get so confused

Massive over simplification, but left is usually pro change, whereas right is usually keeping things how they are already.
Left/Right on their own don't mean much tho and should be avoided unless paired with other terms, like libertarian/authoritarian.
Reply 27
I meant early 2000's. And its funny how they went into deficit after abandoning the tory budget which means you helped my point. Thanks for the support!

Yes I agree with your point, however, overspending is not a sin.
I actually find that it is the younger people in my age bracket that are left wing but also quite authoritarian, whether or not they realise it. they look at politics as a mere play thing that they can use at will, not realising that the government does what it does through (essentially) theft and blackmail. they don't look at the bigger, existential picture. they just look at the clossy surface that this state has created for them.
Original post by gwaggy

I get so confused

Fascism in its true form is hard to place in the left-right spectrum, but it has quite a few nuances. However, the "far left" of today has more in common with fascism than with the right.

What a load of garbage, really?
Blair stopped more grammar schools-LEFT WING
Blair overspent in the early years- LEFT WING
Blair spent money on public services- LEFT WING

He was still arguably a neoliberal though

Blair's actions wouldn't necessarily influence the world views of people in their twenties today. I think "Blair's children" are right leaning is because of the world we live in, where multiculturalism is forced on us, often with ill effects. This makes the left side of the spectrum unattractive.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Left, inequality is avoidable and it is the role of the state to pull the top down and bottom up. Right, inequality I'd inherently good and/or unavoidable and it is not the role of the state to try to eliminate it.
Posted from TSR Mobile

That awkawrd moment when communism is devoid of any state.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

No trending threads to show

Trending

No trending threads to show