The Student Room Group

Restarting year 12 in a new sixth form college - need advice

So, as said in the title, I am looking to take a break from college for now and restart year 12 later this year. I’m currently only a term into year 12, so haven’t even done my mocks yet.

I only want to transfer schools, as I don’t like the one I’m currently at. However the reason my only option may be to take a break and then restart year 12 is due to the fact that at this stage other schools I’ve looked at aren’t taking in new students at this point, and it might be hard for me to catch up on my subjects due to changes in exam boards between my current school and a new one. The reason I want to change schools is because of medical problems, which I won’t do into detail here, but I’ve been diagnosed with depression and I’ve been seeing a therapist for a while now. I feel as though as long as I’m in this school I’ll be continuously miserable.

So my question is, does anyone have experience in restarting year 12? Is this a valid reason to do so? Another thing I worried about was feeling awkward as I’ll be older than everyone in my year and all the people I knew are now going to be the year above me. Is this something i should be worried about, and will it be difficult to fit into the new year group in the new school?
Reply 1
Don't worry too much and do what you have to do. Although I have no experience restarting year 12 since I am a year 12 myself. I have 2 friends in year 12 that are both a year older than me. One was for medical reasons which is very much valid just like yours and the other just wanted to take a year to refocus, got herself a job and earned some money during that time. Taking a break now is so much better than taking a break after A-levels. If you try to do your exams in a state where you can't focus properly on them, you may not get the grades you need which will cause even more unnecessary stress in your gap year.

As for the problem of friends, I'd say the both of them are more social than me. There is always this awkward social gap between year 12's and year 13's, but for them they get to chat and make friends in year 13 and year 12 and are still very close with their year 13 friends even when they mostly do hang around with us year 12's.

Take the break it seems well deserved, have a rest and refocus. You'll feel so much better for the new academic year.
Good Luck.

(On a side make sure to apply to a very good sixth form first and then some other decent ones. If you don't get into the best sixth form. Wait until the first week of the new academic year and phone them to ask if they spaces available. Usually they do and will just accept you to fill in spaces. This is what a friend of mine did to get into my sixth form.)
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by Ladi.m1
So, as said in the title, I am looking to take a break from college for now and restart year 12 later this year. I’m currently only a term into year 12, so haven’t even done my mocks yet.

I only want to transfer schools, as I don’t like the one I’m currently at. However the reason my only option may be to take a break and then restart year 12 is due to the fact that at this stage other schools I’ve looked at aren’t taking in new students at this point, and it might be hard for me to catch up on my subjects due to changes in exam boards between my current school and a new one. The reason I want to change schools is because of medical problems, which I won’t do into detail here, but I’ve been diagnosed with depression and I’ve been seeing a therapist for a while now. I feel as though as long as I’m in this school I’ll be continuously miserable.

So my question is, does anyone have experience in restarting year 12? Is this a valid reason to do so? Another thing I worried about was feeling awkward as I’ll be older than everyone in my year and all the people I knew are now going to be the year above me. Is this something i should be worried about, and will it be difficult to fit into the new year group in the new school?

dont worry, as someone who's currently in year 12 and a year older, no one really cares (unless they're immature)
Reply 3
Original post by ilovejeongin143
dont worry, as someone who's currently in year 12 and a year older, no one really cares (unless they're immature)

Thing is no-one really remembers 😂 not even them themselves remember that they're a year older.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending