The Student Room Group

Hello, my name is fame123!

I'm studying... IMB offer from UCL and Managment offer from St Andrews

My study level is... International Baccalaureate
Original post by fame123
I'm studying... IMB offer from UCL and Managment offer from St Andrews

My study level is... International Baccalaureate

Hi welcome to TSR :smile:

Congratulations on your offers *^O^* I am also an offer holder of both unis albeit for a different subject.

Come join us in the UCL and St Andrews Hopefuls/ Applicants 2017 forum!

wolfmoon88

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by wolfmoon88
Hi welcome to TSR :smile:

Congratulations on your offers *^O^* I am also an offer holder of both unis albeit for a different subject.

Come join us in the UCL and St Andrews Hopefuls/ Applicants 2017 forum!

wolfmoon88

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which one should I choose as firm haha? I'm also offered HKUST Business and management and I'm struggling to choose between these unis
Original post by fame123
Which one should I choose as firm haha? I'm also offered HKUST Business and management and I'm struggling to choose between these unis

Honestly I am more familiar with the St Andrews Management course and the HKUST course (I am Taiwanese so quite familiar with HK unis in some senses if I have friends who applied) so I can't really comment on the UCL course that much.

However one suggestion that I can give is looking at both UK universities' courses in detail and deciding which one is more of a fit for you. Of course other concerns may play a role as well, especially living costs, social scene, suburban vs. urban etc... but look at the course first. After all you are in uni to get an education first and foremost. In terms of St Andrews course, one thing to keep in mind is that you will have to take two other subjects in your first year with Management.

In terms of HKUST vs. UK, one thing to take in to consideration is cost. I remember that HKUST's tuition fees are way cheaper than UK international student fees (if you are an international student). It also depends on where you want to go to for higher education. HKUST has a really good Business and Management course with great connections with companies and other institutions. You won't go wrong in choosing any of the three unis.

It so happens that I am also debating between UCL and St Andrews for my firm choice.

Hope this long post helps! Cheers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Honestly I am more familiar with the St Andrews Management course and the HKUST course (I am Taiwanese so quite familiar with HK unis in some senses if I have friends who applied) so I can't really comment on the UCL course that much.

However one suggestion that I can give is looking at both UK universities' courses in detail and deciding which one is more of a fit for you. Of course other concerns may play a role as well, especially living costs, social scene, suburban vs. urban etc... but look at the course first. After all you are in uni to get an education first and foremost. In terms of St Andrews course, one thing to keep in mind is that you will have to take two other subjects in your first year with Management.

In terms of HKUST vs. UK, one thing to take in to consideration is cost. I remember that HKUST's tuition fees are way cheaper than UK international student fees (if you are an international student). It also depends on where you want to go to for higher education. HKUST has a really good Business and Management course with great connections with companies and other institutions. You won't go wrong in choosing any of the three unis.

It so happens that I am also debating between UCL and St Andrews for my firm choice.

Hope this long post helps! Cheers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! That helped. I'm an IB student in HOng Kong graduating this year. Are you year 13 studying in Tai wan?

I'm most concerned about the employability of the three univerisities since I've read that UCL is overrated. My parents want me to stay in HK while I want to experience my uni life in the UK.
Could you update me your final decision of your firm uni? Haha
Original post by fame123
Thanks! That helped. I'm an IB student in HOng Kong graduating this year. Are you year 13 studying in Tai wan?

I'm most concerned about the employability of the three univerisities since I've read that UCL is overrated. My parents want me to stay in HK while I want to experience my uni life in the UK.

No problem!

IB student studying in Taiwan :smile:

All of them are good in terms of employability. Although something to be aware of is that St Andrews' reputation with employers in Asia may not be as strong as your other two unis. However if you apply to international companies that won't be a huge issue.

UCL's management course is overrated imo (St Andrews definitely has a course that is equal to UCL or better, people might disagree but this is just my opinion.), but it does have an advantage of being in London which gives you ready access to internships etc... It is also a firm target for investment banking if you are interested in that field. (I would assume that St A's is a target as well but you have to check)

Hahaha I just want to leave Asia and experience other places tbh :tongue:

Of course I'll update you lol.

Good luck, I hope this post helps as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fame123

If you want to talk to other St A's and UCL applicants for Management, go to the "St Andrews Hopefuls 2017" and "UCL Applicants for 2017 entry thread" and post to say hi. I have seen a couple of Management applicants and offer holders in those threads. We also have a "Hong Kong Universities "Non-Jupas" Applicants 2017" thread which has a couple of Business and Management HKUST applicants/ offer holders as well I believe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
If you want to talk to other St A's and UCL applicants for Management, go to the "St Andrews Hopefuls 2017" and "UCL Applicants for 2017 entry thread" and post to say hi. I have seen a couple of Management applicants and offer holders in those threads. We also have a "Hong Kong Universities "Non-Jupas" Applicants 2017" thread which has a couple of Business and Management HKUST applicants/ offer holders as well I believe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! Did you apply for information management for business or management in UCL? Good luck with your IB exam! I'm having my mock this week and the upcoming 2 weeks. I took HL geography and economics and Chinese B SL English A Lang lit math and ess. You? If you don't mind :tongue:
Original post by fame123
Thanks! Did you apply for information management for business or management in UCL? Good luck with your IB exam! I'm having my mock this week and the upcoming 2 weeks. I took HL geography and economics and Chinese B SL English A Lang lit math and ess. You? If you don't mind :tongue:

I am not an applicant for management or any business related courses. I applied for Human Sciences in UCL and Sustainable Development in St Andrews.

I am taking HL Chemistry, Biology and English Lit A, SL Chinese B, Maths, and Psychology. :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
You took the exact same subject as my friend but she's applying for med. Thats a difficult combination in my opinion haha. What's your PG :tongue:😗 mines 42 but I'm very sure I won't achieve this score in my real IB exam haha😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fame123
You took the exact same subject as my friend but she's applying for med. Thats a difficult combination in my opinion haha. What's your PG :tongue:😗 mines 42 but I'm very sure I won't achieve this score in my real IB exam haha😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rofl: I was planning on applying for med this is why I chose this combination (I don't like Chemistry that much lol) but then I decided I didn't want to do med.

40 overall, our school was conservative this year because a lot if people underachieved last year and the school was warned by the IB lol, I am sure you can make that score :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
My combination is way easier. We even call it the golden subjects.
Anyways nice talking to you! We'll see who updates each other first about our firm and insurance offer 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fame123
My combination is way easier. We even call it the golden subjects.
Anyways nice talking to you! We'll see who updates each other first about our firm and insurance offer 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed :tongue:

Nice talking to you as well :smile: yep definitely :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest