The Student Room Group

Indian Premier League 2017 thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
KXIP fan. Hopefully we will win a game before we are eliminated
the list of players release for auction has been released http://www.iplt20.com/news/2016/announcements/7981/vivo-ipl-2017-list-of-players-released

notes of interest per team (big players, how many released, total bidding amount for released players):

hyderabad have let go of eoin morgan, ashish reddy and aditya tare (6 released; total: 105.5 million rupees

RCB: varun aaron, abu nechim, kane richardson and chris jordan are the big names here (10 released: total 108 million rupees.

Dehli Daredevils: nathan coutler-nile, imran tahir and pawan negi are the big casualties (7 released, total: 143.5 million rupees)

mumbai indians: corey anderson, martin guptil are the major foreign players released. unmukt chand I would have classified but he hasnt been playing well since the under 19 world cup he captained (8 released; total : 112.5 million)

kolkata: morne morkel, brad hogg, shaun tait have been let go (9 released; total bid: 85 million)

punjab: mitchel johnson, kyle abbott, rishi dhawan and farhaan behardien are all the players released (johnson likely to be unsold, mumbai likely to want to get dhawan back) for a total bid amount of 119 million rupees.

gujarat lions: dale steyn, amit mishra, pravin tambe are the big names ( 8 released; 40 million total bid amount)

Pune are last and they have the most intruiging list: kevin pietersen, ishant sharma, irfan pathan, thisara perera, albie morkel and george bailey ( 11 released; total bid amount: 169 million)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 22
I wonder if Rashid will throw his hat into the ring - and, if he does, whether he'll feature.

I think a large part of the issue with Rashid - who has had a tough winter, despite brief flashes of moments - is confidence. He wasn’t trusted with four overs in any of the white-ball matches, clearly doesn’t have the backing of Morgan, and has ended the winter on a low ebb. He has lost confidence in himself as a result of England’s treatment of him. Remember his vital role at the World T20? That was after his flourishing spell with Adelaide Strikers. He had the ball in his hand, full of confidence, and felt like a match-winner.

Another factor, of course, is that he has been a weak link in the field. There has been frustration in the field - palpable at times - when Indian batsmen have targeted his areas. He dropped Kohli, at a pivotal moment, and it’s such a shame considering the player he was in white-ball cricket between March and September.
Reply 23
The player auction ahead of the 2017 season of the IPL will be held on February 20 in Bangalore, with the tournament scheduled to begin on April 5. Each IPL franchise can have up to 27 players in its squad, with a maximum of nine overseas players. The purse for each team has been capped at INR 66 crore (approximately $10 million).

England's Ben Stokes, Eoin Morgan and Chris Woakes are among the seven players who have listed themselves at the highest base price of INR 2 crore (approx US $298,000). India fast bowler Ishant Sharma, Sri Lanka captain Angelo Mathews, and the Australian pair of Mitchell Johnson and Pat Cummings are the rest of the players in this set.
mitch jonson should just quit. stokes I reckon will be most sought after player. cummins I have a feeling will go RCB. morgan should be interesting to see if he goes back to hyderabad /KKR or elsewhere.

bairstow, hales and roy are all up (1.5 for bairstow, 1 crore hales and row), as well as jordan and mills (50 lakh each (half a crore).

sharma I can see returning to SRH.

curious to see if mohammad nabi gets selected (3rd in t20 all rounder rankings; 4th in ODIs)
Reply 25
Jonny Bairstow (INR 1.5 crore), Alex Hales and Jason Roy (INR 1 crore) and fast bowlers Chris Jordan and Tymal Mills (INR 50 lakh) have put their names up for auction.

Franchises retained a total of 140 players and released 89 ahead of this IPL auction. Among those released and now trying to make a return are Johnson (Kings XI Punjab, INR 6.5 crore), Mathews (Delhi Daredevils, INR 7.5 crore), Ishant (Rising Pune Supergiants, INR 3.8 crore) and Morgan (Sunrisers Hyderabad, INR 1.5 crore).

Former South Africa fast bowler Kyle Abbott, who recently moved to Hampshire as a Kolpak player, has listed his base price at INR 1.5 cr. New Zealand fast bowler Trent Boult, who was hired by Sunrisers in 2015 for INR 3.8 crore has now listed his base price at INR 1.5 crore. West Indies ODI captain Jason Holder has also kept his price at INR 1.5 crore. Pawan Negi, who was the second-most expensive player bought at last year's auction by the Daredevils for INR 8.5 crore comes into the auction with a base price of INR 30 lakh.
Lovely. I love IPL. Gujarat lions supporter.
Reply 27
Gujarat retained the core of their squad -and most of their overseas players - after finishing top of the league stage in 2016. They released seven Indian players though, so their local contingent will need beefing up.
Reply 28
Dhoni will not captain Rising Pune Supergiants this season, with Smith taking over.
Reply 29
Stokes rakes it in! He has been bought for INR 14.5 crore (USD 2.16 million approx) by Rising Pune Supergiants. Tymal Mills was bought by Royal Challengers Bangalore for INR 12 crore (USD 1.8 million approx), Morgan was bought at base price of INR 2 crore (USD 300,000 approx) by Kings XI Punjab, Angelo Mathews went to Delhi Daredevils for his base price of INR 2 crore (USD 300,000 approx). And Corey Anderson was also brought by Delhi Daredevils at his base price of INR 1 crore (USD 150,000 approx).

Delhi swooped for Kagiso Rabada (INR 5 crore, USD 750,000 approx) and Pat Cummins (INR 4.5 crore, USD 670,000 approx), KKR bagged Boult, Mumbai Indians claimed Mitchell Johnson and Nicholas Pooran, and Sunrisers got Rashid Khan, making it likely an Afghan will feature prominently.

Some of the prominent players that went unsold in the early bidding were Ishant Sharma, Jonny Bairstow, Imran Tahir, Martin Guptill, Jason Roy, Ross Taylor, Alex Hales, Chris Jordan and Irfan Pathan. Tahir and Roy are perhaps the biggest surprises there.
Rcb rcb rcb 💃🎉💃🎉💃🎉💃🎉
Reply 31
Roy picked up by Gujarat.
im officially fed up with mumbai. the ambani family have more money than sense and I wouldnt be surprised if they finish last or 2nd to last.

pune on the otherhand look really interesting and wouldnt be surprised if they win (they had a good squad last year but didnt really work).

gujarat has a very good bowling / fielding lineup (again) and would be surprised if they win. RCB look good as always, as do hyderabad, although SRH will likely be missing some of eoin morgan's vice captainship (particularly on fielding placements).

punjab have been busy in auctions and could be interesting (I have vibes of 2014).

KKR look largely unchanged which is worrying for them as they havent got enough reserve players.

delhi look to be the butt of the IPL as usual.

on a sidenote, how many friggin yadavs are playing for KKR this year?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
Nice to see Mohammad Nabi and Rashid Khan getting gigs. Perhaps the ECB might care to look again at its rules to make it easier for players from associate nations to play in the CC?
Most surpring auction.
Reply 35
66 players bought in this auction - 39 of them were Indians, 27 overseas. Gujarat Lions bought the most players (11); Royal Challengers Bangalore the least (5).

More promisingly, three Associate nation players wer picked up. Mills went for the highest ever figure for a bowler, Stokes became the most expensive overseas player ever, the eight highest purchases were all overseas players and England's six buys were picked up for 35 Crore.
GameMariChe
I know this may get a lot of boos, but is anyone watching the PSL (if so, which players who also play IPL are on a roll)
Reply 38
Let's hope for better pitches than the one in Pune between India and Australia in the first Test. The controversial wicket, which was likened to “the surface of Mars” by Shane Warne, provided plenty of assistance for spinners and has been rated as "poor", meaning the BCCI face a hefty fine.

Steve O'Keefe provided the most eye-catching figures - claiming 12-74.
Original post by quasa
I know this may get a lot of boos, but is anyone watching the PSL (if so, which players who also play IPL are on a roll)

Don't see why it would get a negative reaction, but PSL matches of late have been exciting, really close finishes with matches going to last overs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest