The Student Room Group

Anyone doing Latin Wjec Course?

If I learn all the vocabulary will I get an A, as I really don't understand the more advanced grammatical techniques such as deponent verbs, ablative etc :frown: Yeh any advice would be helpful??
Hey there! I recently did the WJEC latin level 2 language in January (I took it early). I achieved an A* and i'll be completely honest with what I did. I learnt the 400 words of vocab ( I think its 400) by writing them down on flashcards. Tbh I didn't do much grammar, I literally just learnt how to spot I, he/she/it, you (singular), we, they, you (plural) by looking at the endings of the word (eg. if the word ends in m,o,i its usually I). And i only learnt the grammar for imperfect, perfect, pluperfect,past and present - i spent literally like 10 minutes doing the grammar. I think learning all the vocab you can definitely secure an A*.
Thank you so much, I really needed some advice coz I was worried about it coz I understand absolutely nothing about grammar excoect the basics 😂😭
Original post by Babyangelana
Hey there! I recently did the WJEC latin level 2 language in January (I took it early). I achieved an A* and i'll be completely honest with what I did. I learnt the 400 words of vocab ( I think its 400) by writing them down on flashcards. Tbh I didn't do much grammar, I literally just learnt how to spot I, he/she/it, you (singular), we, they, you (plural) by looking at the endings of the word (eg. if the word ends in m,o,i its usually I). And i only learnt the grammar for imperfect, perfect, pluperfect,past and present - i spent literally like 10 minutes doing the grammar. I think learning all the vocab you can definitely secure an A*.
Original post by mustards12345
Thank you so much, I really needed some advice coz I was worried about it coz I understand absolutely nothing about grammar excoect the basics 😂😭

You will do amazing in your exam! Just make sure you learn those words. Also are you doing the latin literature exam?
You will do amazing in your exam! Just make sure you learn those words. Also are you doing the latin literature exam?

No I dropped the Latin literature coz I found it was a time waste, but now I think about it the extra gcse would have been nice! Did you do it?
No I dropped the Latin literature coz I found it was a time waste, but now I think about it the extra gcse would have been nice! Did you do it?

No I'm doing it in the summer :frown:(( not feeling confident with it
No I'm doing it in the summer :frown:(( not feeling confident with it

I think you'll be fine be fine with it, just need to nail those exam questions and time yourself. Oh yeh and learn the text thoroughly don't worry about it you'll do great!
I think you'll be fine be fine with it, just need to nail those exam questions and time yourself. Oh yeh and learn the text thoroughly don't worry about it you'll do great!

Aww your so lovely :smile: x you will do amazing too
Aww your so lovely :smile: x you will do amazing too

You deserve it sound like a top girl
Having had some experience of marking exam papers, I would say it'd be tricky to get an A just by learning the vocab alone. Obviously, the vocab is important because you can usually get a fair sense of what's happening in a story from the vocab than you could with the grammar, but those who get A*s tend to be those who can spot things like ablative absolutes, subjunctive constructions with ut etc.

Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like any more pointers.

Quick Reply

Latest