The Student Room Group

QTS Maths and Literacy tests 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hi,

How do you get to sit a paper version of the tests?
I just tried the numeracy practice test for the first time got 18/24

Need to revise a bit before using the other practice tests. Made so many stupid errors I.E. writing to 2 dp INSTEAD OF 1 dp ...

Gonna try the literacy test later today that will probably be much harder.
Please try and post the link
I passed my test today luckily on my third attempt!! It's been the most challenging thing I've ever done. The environment they test you in is horrible

TIPS:
Learn 8x7 times tables like the back of your hand
Be quick converting %'s
Fractions to decimals
Learn how to interpret data box & whisker diagrams etc
Original post by Josh Corlett
I passed my test today luckily on my third attempt!! It's been the most challenging thing I've ever done. The environment they test you in is horrible

TIPS:
Learn 8x7 times tables like the back of your hand
Be quick converting %'s
Fractions to decimals
Learn how to interpret data box & whisker diagrams etc

Congratulations on passing! It must have been stressful being your third attempt but I'm really glad you passed! :smile:

I agree, the environment they test you in is horrible. I had different test centres for my numeracy and literacy exams and both were really depressing places. They were also in the middle of nowhere so I had a lot of stress just getting there!

I agree - times tables are a must!
Fractions to decimals
Also multiplying and dividing decimals (not too difficult once you know what to do)
I subscribed to the Numeracy Ready website - it costs money but I found it helpful. I also found that the questions were asked more quickly on there than in the real thing, meaning that in the real exam I had more time as they asked the questions more slowly (I would start at calculations as soon as the question was asked the first time)!
Hi would you be able to send me the spelling words please .
Reply 66
Hi Adam020020

Do you still have the spelling list ?
How did you apply for paper based test? Any tips please?
Original post by Adam020020
Hi all,

I just took the QTS Literacyand Numeracy test and passed both (1st attempt).

For the spellingsection; I’ve got a list of words which are most likely to come out (8 of whichcame up for me) - Pls inbox me and I can that sent across to you

Punctuation; i didover punctuate but contrary to what others say, your allowed to over punctuate

Grammar was veryinterested but not too difficult
Comprehension; MyGod was the text loooong, take your time, i requested more paper and each paragraphi read, i wrote a quick one-line summary of what’s going on.For the Numeracytest:

The first thing idid was quickly write down my 9 and 12 times table as these are really hard forme and converted 1/8 into a percentage 12.5% 3/8 into percentage 37.5% etc

Then i tried to juststay calm throughout the mental bit and use each second to double check meanswer.
For the secondsection, when reading the graphs, i zooooomed in using the keyboard ... Pleasedo this people.

Anyway, that’s mythoughts on the QTS test, feel free to ask any question!

can you inbox me the list of spellings please
Reply 69
I passed my numeracy test today and I passed first time! Let me reassure you, if I can pass, so can you.
First of all, I would say practice, practice, practice! Do all the online tests, print off the paper versions and complete them, do your own research etc etc. I bought 'Passing the Numeracy skills test' (very cheap online on ebay) and this was amazing! It had loads of practice questions and explanations.
I also recommend learning everything! Conversions of pounds to other currencies, conversion of miles to km, litres to ml (I got 2 questions on that today), time, scatter graphs, cumulative frequency charts etc. Just practice everything that is recommended on the qts skills test website.
When the test begins write down key points (0.75 = 3/4, 0.25 = 1/4, 1/8 = 0.125...) this is really helpful when doing the test. Write down any times tables you're unsure about, this too is very helpful!
There's videos on YouTube, take advantage!! This helps if you learn watching something and taking in inforation, I wathen lots and they helped during the mental section, they offer tips to answer questions quickly.
After the question has been read out you have 18 seconds to answer, this doesn't seem much, but don't worry, write down vital information on the first time the question is read out and then begin answering on the second. You may find you simply don't have enough time and don't answer. MOVE ON. Forget that question, it's gone, don't worry! Don't let these questions hinder the rest of your questions! You need 18/28 to pass, so if you gather some marks on this section, it'll set you up for the rest of the test.
Hopefully this will be helpful! For antone doing the test, good luck!
Reply 70
Original post by abbeye1
I passed my numeracy test today and I passed first time! Let me reassure you, if I can pass, so can you.
First of all, I would say practice, practice, practice! Do all the online tests, print off the paper versions and complete them, do your own research etc etc. I bought 'Passing the Numeracy skills test' (very cheap online on ebay) and this was amazing! It had loads of practice questions and explanations.
I also recommend learning everything! Conversions of pounds to other currencies, conversion of miles to km, litres to ml (I got 2 questions on that today), time, scatter graphs, cumulative frequency charts etc. Just practice everything that is recommended on the qts skills test website.
When the test begins write down key points (0.75 = 3/4, 0.25 = 1/4, 1/8 = 0.125...) this is really helpful when doing the test. Write down any times tables you're unsure about, this too is very helpful!
There's videos on YouTube, take advantage!! This helps if you learn watching something and taking in inforation, I wathen lots and they helped during the mental section, they offer tips to answer questions quickly.
After the question has been read out you have 18 seconds to answer, this doesn't seem much, but don't worry, write down vital information on the first time the question is read out and then begin answering on the second. You may find you simply don't have enough time and don't answer. MOVE ON. Forget that question, it's gone, don't worry! Don't let these questions hinder the rest of your questions! You need 18/28 to pass, so if you gather some marks on this section, it'll set you up for the rest of the test.
Hopefully this will be helpful! For antone doing the test, good luck!

congratulations on passing! i have my maths test on Tuesday and i was just wondering what sort of percent you were getting on the online practice tests and how close in difficulty are the questions in the 'Passing the numeracy skills test' questions in comparison to the real thing?
thank you in advance!
Original post by Josh Corlett

Gosh - Good luck on your PGCE. The numeracy / literacy tests are a walk in the park compared to block B.

Good luck!
Reply 72
Original post by PleaseHelpMe!¡
congratulations on passing! i have my maths test on Tuesday and i was just wondering what sort of percent you were getting on the online practice tests and how close in difficulty are the questions in the 'Passing the numeracy skills test' questions in comparison to the real thing?
thank you in advance!

I'm so sorry I haven't been able to get back to you beforehand, I was getting 70%, however this was my third round of doing them, to begin with I got 37% at best! I'd say they're very close actually, the questions really helped me for type of questions I got, however in the mental part of the test some of them were a bit wordier, so I had to be super careful I didn't miss any information, but in terms of the maths I'd say it was great practice :smile:
Reply 73
Well, after just scraping 60% on practice test 1, I found the calculator button for test 2 and hit 87%. Much easier when your not trying to do it all in your head. This Q confused me, need to read Q's slower in future
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 74
Still got it right though, got lucky.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 75
Hey! Apologies for this silly question,but are we allowed to use a calculator in the numeracy test? Im absolutley rubbisb at maths and the thought of not being allowed to use a calculator is freaking me out!
Reply 76
Yes, and no. The mental arithmetic section is just that, you and a pen and paper (whiteboard).

After that there is an onscreen calculator that you can bring up to help.

If you do the test papers, it is the same setup so you can get used to how the actual test is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

I was just wondering if you could send me the list of QTS spelling words please.

:-)
Original post by Adam020020
Hi all,

I just took the QTS Literacyand Numeracy test and passed both (1st attempt).

For the spellingsection; I’ve got a list of words which are most likely to come out (8 of whichcame up for me) - Pls inbox me and I can that sent across to you

Punctuation; i didover punctuate but contrary to what others say, your allowed to over punctuate

Grammar was veryinterested but not too difficult
Comprehension; MyGod was the text loooong, take your time, i requested more paper and each paragraphi read, i wrote a quick one-line summary of what’s going on.For the Numeracytest:

The first thing idid was quickly write down my 9 and 12 times table as these are really hard forme and converted 1/8 into a percentage 12.5% 3/8 into percentage 37.5% etc

Then i tried to juststay calm throughout the mental bit and use each second to double check meanswer.
For the secondsection, when reading the graphs, i zooooomed in using the keyboard ... Pleasedo this people.

Anyway, that’s mythoughts on the QTS test, feel free to ask any question!

I have my literacy test today, if i could see your list that would be great!
I passed both my numeracy and literacy tests first time today - such a relief!

My best advice is to get as much practice in as possible. I paid for Numeracy Ready and it has honestly helped so much as it's easy to go back and see where you've gone wrong.

The first numeracy test I did I got 43% in and maths has never been my strongest suit, so if I can pass anyone can!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending