The Student Room Group

If every job had the same salary, what would you do?

Let's say every job out there payed £35,000 per annum, with the same amount of hours worked per week and the same amount of annual leave/holidays. What would you do and why?
Would you be more inclined to choose an "easy" job as opposed to a more stressful one?

Scroll to see replies

I would be a musical theatre performer
An assassin.
I would be a language teacher :P
A forensic scientist
Mountaineer
Professional ultra marathoner/mountain marathoner
Squirrel wrangler
Molecular biologist playing around with cutting edge technology (okay I'm doing that anyway)
I really wish I understood what you were asking.
Reply 7
Original post by LeCroissant
Let's say every job out there payed £35,000 per annum, with the same amount of hours worked per week and the same amount of annual leave/holidays. What would you do and why?
Would you be more inclined to choose an "easy" job as opposed to a more stressful one?

I would absolutely pick the easiest/stress free job going. Something that ordinarly wouldn't pay anything close to as much as £35,000 like picking apples or working in a quiet country pub. Why bother busting my gut doing something diffcult like medicine or engineering if I'm not going to see any real reward for it?

(This, btw is an example of why communism doesn't work)
Reply 8
So are we using your value of 35k a year? In that case I would go for something like a bin collector.
Reply 9
A chef
Original post by Wōden
I would absolutely pick the easiest/stress free job going. Something that ordinarly wouldn't pay anything close to as much as £35,000 like picking apples or working in a quiet country pub. Why bother busting my gut doing something diffcult like medicine or engineering if I'm not going to see any real reward for it?

(This, btw is an example of why communism doesn't work)

PhD students survive on a fairly modest stipend, lots of people have ideological drives to do things.
Original post by iqra2159
A chef

Stressful
Original post by UWS
So are we using your value of 35k a year? In that case I would go for something like a bin collector.

Undervalued by society
Investment manager
Reply 13
I would probably continue my dreams and still go for the job that I want now.

That job being a medicinal chemist researcher/an academic.

Yes, it would be tough, but a less stressful or easier job would get boring, I couldn't be bored for the rest of my life, even if I was getting paid £35kpa.
a theatre nurse.
I d stick to my current job, perhaps get the extra qualification to be one step up the ladder.
Original post by Quantex
Squirrel wrangler

Wot
My decision wouldn't change. I'd be a scientist.
My decision wouldn't change. I'd be a veichle refinisher.
Either continue my original dream (IT consultant or Software Engineer) or I'd probably work in a Middle to High-end fashion retailer or a job relating to fashion lool.

Quick Reply

Latest