The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Chemistry 18th May/June 2017 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cotton candie
Check out the CGP revision guide for chemistry.
It's really helpful!

Ok I will do thank you! Any idea how to absorb those specific topics efficiently in the next couple of days?
Original post by jabbathemuttdog
Ok I will do thank you! Any idea how to absorb those specific topics efficiently in the next couple of days?

I think you are better off finding relevant topics in past papers and answer them based on the book. Read and reread. Or ask someone to explain it for you in a few short words.
Hi everyone, I'm doing IGCSE chemistry, so scared. I've not had 2 years of notes like many people(still in year 9) and haven't learnt.

1. Displacement reactions.
2.Cation, Anion, Gas and Water tests.
3.Alkanes/Alkenes.
4. Addition Polymers
5. Water of crystallisation
6.Haber Process
7. Cracking.
8. Extraction of Metals.

I've been really ill for the past couple of months and only started revision last week. :s-smilie:

Can someone explain them to me? Freaking out.

1. Displacement reactions are reactions where a more reactive metal displaces a less reactive metal from its compound
E.g.- potassium + zinc sulfate=potassium sulfate + zinc
Displacement reactions are also used to extract pure metals from their compounds using carbon(only a metal less reactive than carbon)
2. For cation tests all you have to learn is what happens when sodium hydroxide and ammonia is added to a compound which contains those cations.
Every anion test is quite different so you will have to learn them carefully
There are 4 flame tests for the syllabus, lithium(red), potassium(lilac), copper(blue-green) and sodium(yellow)
Tests for water are simple. Add anhydrous copper(2)sulfate. Color changes from white to blue. Test for pure water is to check the melting point and boiling point of water.
3. Alkanes are saturated hydrocarbons while Alkenes are unsaturated hydrocarbons.Test to distinguish between them is the bromine water test. There is no change in alkanes but the bromine water decolurises alkenes. There are different reactions they undergo.( the similar one is combustion)
Original post by Greenapplepear
Hi guys,
this is a thread for people who are doing the Edexcel IGCSE Chemistry exam in May/June 2017.

Here's the Specification:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20GCSE/Chemistry/2011/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/9780997864786_INT_GCSE_CHEM_SPECSAMS_ISS5_comb.PDF

Past Papers and Mark Schemes:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-gcses-and-edexcel-certificates/international-gcse-chemistry-2011.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=Pearson-UK:Category%2FExam-materials

Revision Guide:
https://nzkhanew.wikispaces.com/file/view/Edexcel%2Bigcse%2Bchemistry%2BRevision%2Bguide.pdf

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/resources/igcse_edexcel_chemistry_revision

Also, post your answers to the following questions:
1.Favourite Topic
2.Least Favourite Topic
3.Most Confident Topic
4.Least Confident Topic
5.Have You Started Revising Yet?

Good Luck everyone, anymore resources would also be useful!!! :smile::smile::smile:

1. Organic Chemistry
2.Metal Extraction
3.Moles and Calculations
4. Equilibrium
5. Yas
Hello Please can anyone tell me - Does Electrolysis calculations come in Paper- 1 ?!!!!!!!!
Hi everyone, I'm doing IGCSE chemistry, so scared. I've not had 2 years of notes like many people(still in year 9) and haven't learnt.

1. Displacement reactions.
2.Cation, Anion, Gas and Water tests.
3.Alkanes/Alkenes.
4. Addition Polymers
5. Water of crystallisation
6.Haber Process
7. Cracking.
8. Extraction of Metals.

I've been really ill for the past couple of months and only started revision last week. :s-smilie:

Can someone explain them to me? Freaking out.

4. Adiition Polymers - Polyethene (made from ethene which forms a repeat unit that is equivalent to ethane) thischloro is used in plastic bags, bottles and other types of containers. Polypropene (made from propene which forms a repeat unit equivalent to [propane). This is used for things like kettles, carpets and food containers. And Polychloroethen (PAPER 2 ONLY - made from chloroethene forming a repeat unit equivalent to chloroethane). This is used for insulating cables, clothes and pipes. We need to be able to draw the monomers and repeat units.
can anyone predict the may 2017 igcse edexcel Chemistry paper 1
2 days to go for paper 1!

Been doing loads of past papers recently to practice. Have to say I found June 2015 paper a step up from some earlier ones. Seemed to be quite a lot of organic chemistry in that . I'm feeling pretty confident but I still keep making silly mistakes.

Stuff like mixing up yield of products with rate of reaction in reversible equations.
And not quite reading the questions properly on some of the easier ones. Like mixing time up with cm3 of gas produced to get the completely wrong answer on a multiple choice question about rate of reaction!

Getting the colours of methyl orange mixed up. Argghhh!

Confusing filtrate with residue so I ended up thinking about completely wrong substances... and that lead to following couple of answers being wrong too.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by asteroidsock
Lol i'm one of those people who just have to read the textbook to study... flashcards and stuff have never helped. I do all the end of chapter questions and check the answers online- and past papers are my salvation! also examiners reports for the questions i find hard- rlly helps. Weird thing is i always have to have white noise or film scores in the background to study so i wont get distracted. let me know if any of this helps!

i keep getting distracted thanks for that!!!}
Hey guys ! Any predictions for tomorrow's exam????
gd luck tomorrow guys!:biggrin:
Original post by beryltheparrot
I hope you die in the exam so everyone passes at your expense; you are a ****.

what a lovely message to receive :smile: good luck tomorrow! x
Any predictions on topics for tomorrows exam???
Original post by holly24601
Any predictions on topics for tomorrows exam???

Q1 (a) Why do hydrocarbons look like mickey mouse

Q6 (a) Why do conical flasks look like pyramids
Original post by Greenapplepear
Q1 (a) Why do hydrocarbons look like mickey mouse

Q6 (a) Why do conical flasks look like pyramids

HAHA, wouldn't be surprised.

7b) why does the cotton wool soaked in ammonia look like a rain cloud?
gd luck tomorrow!!

LOL!!!! :biggrin:
Original post by Eucalyptus
Hello Please can anyone tell me - Does Electrolysis calculations come in Paper- 1 ?!!!!!!!!

No you don't need to do faraday and other electrolysis calculations for paper 1 - good luck!

This made me laugh wayyyyy too hard
Original post by b.perera
No you don't need to do faraday and other electrolysis calculations for paper 1 - good luck!

Thanks for saving the time bro

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending