The Student Room Group

Willing to help with any GCSE Geography questions!

Geography is my strongest subject and the one I'm most confident on. So because of this I think it'd be helpful to me to remember stuff by explaining things to others and help them too!

So if anyone has any doubts about the GCSE geography exam or you're weak in a specific area then I'll be happy to try and help you out!

If not it'd be cool to hear how everyone else is feeling about this exam!

Disclaimer: I am studying for AQA GCSE Geography
(edited 6 years ago)
What topics do you study?

Original post by 2421MVincent
Geography is my strongest subject and the one I'm most confident on. So because of this I think it'd be helpful to me to remember stuff by explaining things to others and help them too!

So if anyone has any doubts about the GCSE geography exam or you're weak in a specific area then I'll be happy to try and help you out!

Reply 2
Aw that's so helpful
What exam board do you do?
Reply 3
Original post by ~ Arielle ~
What topics do you study?

I'm preparing for my AQA Dynamic Planet exam tomorrow, so, coasts, restless earth, extreme environments, biosphere, water world.

So basically anything that's not rivers
Reply 4
Original post by DD2508
Aw that's so helpful
What exam board do you do?

AQA :smile:
I'm preparing for my AQA Dynamic Planet exam tomorrow, so, coasts, restless earth, extreme environments, biosphere, water world.

So basically anything that's not rivers

Oh cool, could you explain wave cut platforms and wave cut notches [if you know it]

(edited 6 years ago)
how are mangroves formed
Reply 7
Oh cool, could you explain wave cut platforms and wave cut notches [if you know it]

Wave-cut notches are formed when the waves smash rocks against the cliff (abrasion although you don't always have to put this) carving out a notch.

Wave-cut platforms are formed when a wave cut notch is too deep and the cliff gets too heavy and falls into the ocean.
Wave-cut notches are formed when the waves smash rocks against the cliff (abrasion although you don't always have to put this) carving out a notch.

Wave-cut platforms are formed when a wave cut notch is too deep and the cliff gets too heavy and falls into the ocean.

Thank you SO MUCH!!! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by victortheepic
how are mangroves formed

I don't know that one and I don't think it's part of the course I'm taking sorry :frown:
Thank you SO MUCH!!! :biggrin:

no problem! :smile:

how do you locate cross sections of two places on a map
Original post by sxira2091
how do you locate cross sections of two places on a map

My curriculum didn't teach me about maps/cross-sections and contour lines, I'm doing AQA GCSE Geography
Reply 13

Disclaimer: I am studying for AQA GCSE Geography

can you explain formations of coast please?
Original post by Hoyan
can you explain formations of coast please?

Sure thing!

Headlands - Formed by hard rock that doesn't erode as easily
Bays - Formed by soft rock eroding

Concordant - Only one type of rock along the coastline
Disconcordant - Where hard and soft rock run alongside (parallel) this is where the soft rock erodes to form coves/bays with headlands being the hard rock

Caves/Stacks/Stumps

1-Waves cause weakness in the base of the headland that causes cracks
2-Water erodes at these cracks forming a cave
3-As the cave gets bigger as more and more of the headland is eroded eventually cracks form at the top of the headland, this is now an arch
4-As the arch gets bigger eventually collapses, leaving a stack separate from the mainland
5-The stack then erodes and becomes a stump

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending