The Student Room Group

FP2 series help

In the book there's a question which says find the maclaurins series for lncosx using differentiation and I'm finding it difficult to do I searched Google for a way on how to do it but it seems something beyond a level?
Reply 1
Put cosx into its exponential form and then use the Maclaurin series for ex maybe?
Reply 2
Or just use the generic formula of

where f(x) = ln(cosx), f'(x) = -tanx and f''(x) = -sec2 x
Reply 3
Original post by ashmcm
Put cosx into its exponential form and then use the Maclaurin series for ex maybe?

How would I go about doing that
Reply 4
Original post by Carman3
In the book there's a question which says find the maclaurins series for lncosx using differentiation and I'm finding it difficult to do I searched Google for a way on how to do it but it seems something beyond a level?

What are you finding difficult? Presumably you know what the definition of a Maclaurin series is, and how to find the coefficients by repeated differentiation...
there is an expansion for ln( 1 + x )

and the expansion of cos begins 1 - x2/2
Reply 6
Original post by davros
What are you finding difficult? Presumably you know what the definition of a Maclaurin series is, and how to find the coefficients by repeated differentiation...

If I let f (x) = lncosx, how do I find f'(x). The question says use differentiation so I have to find f (x)

Perhaps u shouldve been more exact on what I needed help with
Reply 7
Original post by Carman3
If I let f (x) = lncosx, how do I find f'(x). The question says use differentiation so I have to find f (x)

Perhaps u shouldve been more exact on what I needed help with

Chain rule, differentiating ln(cosx) = 1/cosx * -sinx = -tanx
Reply 8
Hm. I guess I used to do it differently in core 3 whether that may be wrong. Sorry if it was painfully obvious and thanks all for the help

Quick Reply

Latest