The Student Room Group

AQA Physics iGCSE Paper 1 thoughts? Hard or Easy??

I thought that that paper was going to be really hard, but it turned out to be quite easy. I was quite surprised that there were 2 6 markers, but that's fine. And what did everyone put for the first 6 (Q6(a)) mark question on the radiator and the computer??
Reply 1
I agree!
I thought it got easier as it went along; the first couple questions were a bit difficult in working out what exactly it wanted to know

For that 6 mark I put:
Metal in a good conductor
Black is a good emitter of infrared radiation
Tubes are at bottom of radiator for optimum convection
High surface area (to volume ratio) for lots of heat transfer to surroundings
High specific heat capacity so can store a lot of energy for heat transfer

I think that was about everything
Reply 2
What did people get for the graph about terminal velocity? (2 marks)
Reply 3
Original post by Pastelx
I agree!
I thought it got easier as it went along; the first couple questions were a bit difficult in working out what exactly it wanted to know

For that 6 mark I put:
Metal in a good conductor
Black is a good emitter of infrared radiation
Tubes are at bottom of radiator for optimum convection
High surface area (to volume ratio) for lots of heat transfer to surroundings
High specific heat capacity so can store a lot of energy for heat transfer

I think that was about everything

oh crap i missed out the last two, so maybe I got 4 out of 6 but that's fine, do you reckon that the grade boundaries will be quite low for this test?? Or because the test was so easy the grade boundaries will be quite high??
Reply 4
Original post by Katiee01
What did people get for the graph about terminal velocity? (2 marks)

the graph goes down very quickly when the skydiver releases his parachute. So It's not a straight line but it should curve. And the gradient should be very steep.
Reply 5
Original post by t.xavier17_
oh crap i missed out the last two, so maybe I got 4 out of 6 but that's fine, do you reckon that the grade boundaries will be quite low for this test?? Or because the test was so easy the grade boundaries will be quite high??

I don't think physics boundaries can be too high because it's so hard! You really had to know your stuff for that exam (I happened to do the CGP practice paper yesterday which actually had questions such as that six mark in the exam, so I knew what to write from that mark scheme!)

I think 65/90 for A*? Maybe 67 but I doubt as high as 70...
Reply 6
the graph goes down very quickly when the skydiver releases his parachute. So It's not a straight line but it should curve. And the gradient should be very steep.

It doesn't reach the x axis does it? Because the question didn't state whether or not the parachutist reached the ground because if he did then there would also be a vertical line (perpendicular to the end of the last line) down to the x-axis?
Reply 7

doesn't it then reach a new terminal velocity though
doesn't it then reach a new terminal velocity though

Yup, that's what I did. I had a curved line going downwards at first and then plateauing as it reaches terminal velocity
Reply 9
Original post by zainrazaa
Yup, that's what I did. I had a curved line going downwards at first and then plateauing as it reaches terminal velocity

thats what I thought! but all my friends just did the curve without levelling off... Hopefully we got the 2 marks
thats what I thought! but all my friends just did the curve without levelling off... Hopefully we got the 2 marks

I'm pretty confident that it's right :h:
On another note, the grade boundaries were like 55/90 for an A and 64/90 for an A* last year.. It looks achievable :biggrin:
Original post by zainrazaa
I'm pretty confident that it's right :h:
On another note, the grade boundaries were like 55/90 for an A and 64/90 for an A* last year.. It looks achievable :biggrin:

Ahah great :smile:
I love the low grade boundaries in Physics, because I normally get a similar raw mark to all my other sciences.
One pp I did I only got 69/90 which I thought was bad but when I put it into UMS, was comfortably in the 100cap!
You aiming for 100UMS? Good luck with all the paper 2s btw
Ahah great :smile:
I love the low grade boundaries in Physics, because I normally get a similar raw mark to all my other sciences.
One pp I did I only got 69/90 which I thought was bad but when I put it into UMS, was comfortably in the 100cap!
You aiming for 100UMS? Good luck with all the paper 2s btw

Yep! I think we can get there, as you said, the grade boundaries are really low thankfully. And good luck to you too :smile:
Can people remember which topics were in paper 1

Quick Reply

Latest