The Student Room Group

A - Level: OCR English Literature - The Tempest

Hey everyone, hope the studying is going well! Thought i'd make a thread for the Tempest, in which there is a close analysis and a more general essay. Any study tips or essay question predictions we can all share? Personally, i'm hoping for something on colonialism or reconciliation!

Scroll to see replies

Hey I'm studying The Tempest too :smile: I'm hoping for reconciliation as well! Have you been told the question will definitely be on a theme or has your teacher told you to consider character questions too? Personally I've only ever done part b questions on themes but I had a look at the specimen paper and some of the other plays had questions just on characters
Reply 2
Original post by thepurplerain
Hey I'm studying The Tempest too :smile: I'm hoping for reconciliation as well! Have you been told the question will definitely be on a theme or has your teacher told you to consider character questions too? Personally I've only ever done part b questions on themes but I had a look at the specimen paper and some of the other plays had questions just on characters

Great, finally found someone!!:smile: My teacher has said that the question will more than likely be on themes, but a question on a main character such as prospero is also likely! I don't think the teachers are 100% sure due to it being the first year! Fingers crossed for a theme question though!!!:smile:
I do the Tempest too (I actually just took a break from revising it)

I'm really hoping that the question will be on a theme and not a character. I find the character questions really restricting! What are you all planning to do for English from now until the exam? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LenniesRabbit
I do the Tempest too (I actually just took a break from revising it)

I'm really hoping that the question will be on a theme and not a character. I find the character questions really restricting! What are you all planning to do for English from now until the exam? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too - It's weird, at GCSE I used to always prefer the character questions but now I find that themes are so much easier to write about and include a range of characters and ideas!

At the moment I'm trying to plan a few questions though I'm kind of making them up myself as I can't find many out there! If you have any questions for part b please send them my way! I'm also just going over critical interpretations and trying to remember some productions and performances to reference.

What about you?:smile:
Me too - It's weird, at GCSE I used to always prefer the character questions but now I find that themes are so much easier to write about and include a range of characters and ideas!

At the moment I'm trying to plan a few questions though I'm kind of making them up myself as I can't find many out there! If you have any questions for part b please send them my way! I'm also just going over critical interpretations and trying to remember some productions and performances to reference.

What about you?:smile:

I've attached a few practice questions for you guys. Some of them are AS questions but can be adapted into a part B easily :smile:
I've been quite behind with English due to having Psychology and Sociology to revise for (which has literally put me back so much :s-smilie:) but English isn't too content heavy so at the moment I've learnt my quotes and need to focus on at least 2 practice questions then just make plans for the next two days! Quizlet.com is a good place to find flashcards to some great critical views

If you have a list of key themes for the tempest could you please send them? I'd really like to make sure i'm covering every possible theme that could come up.
Reply 6
I've attached a few practice questions for you guys. Some of them are AS questions but can be adapted into a part B easily :smile:
I've been quite behind with English due to having Psychology and Sociology to revise for (which has literally put me back so much :s-smilie:) but English isn't too content heavy so at the moment I've learnt my quotes and need to focus on at least 2 practice questions then just make plans for the next two days! Quizlet.com is a good place to find flashcards to some great critical views

If you have a list of key themes for the tempest could you please send them? I'd really like to make sure i'm covering every possible theme that could come up.

Awesome! These are great thank you!! I'm hoping for a theme question too and yes, quizlet is brilliant for the critical views!

I wrote down the major themes which I've been told about:

Magic and the supernatural/illusion
Colonisation
Forgiveness and reconciliation
Usurpation and power
(Possible) - women
Confinement and servitude (imprisonment)
Nature vs Nurture

Hope these help!!:smile:

Thank you, that's so helpful! I hope Psychology and Sociology is going well :smile:

A few more themes to add to the list above:
Love/relationships
Revenge (tied in with the idea of reconciliation)
Knowledge

But other than that I can't think of anymore, think you covered them all!
Thank you, that's so helpful! I hope Psychology and Sociology is going well :smile:

A few more themes to add to the list above:
Love/relationships
Revenge (tied in with the idea of reconciliation)
Knowledge

But other than that I can't think of anymore, think you covered them all!

Thank you both! I'll make sure to cover these. Something's telling me that this year isn't gonna be easy :/
Reply 9
Thank you both! I'll make sure to cover these. Something's telling me that this year isn't gonna be easy :/

What are you predictions for this year??:smile:
Original post by Meg12345
What are you predictions for this year??:smile:

Hmm, maybe something about illusion? Illusion of power or magic and illusion on the island and how it helps the plot or something
Reply 11
Hmm, maybe something about illusion? Illusion of power or magic and illusion on the island and how it helps the plot or something

I wouldn't mind that! I'm still hoping for a theme based question over a character based!!:smile:
If it was a character do you think it would most likely be Prospero as we had Caliban for AS last year and Miranda and Ferdinand are in the specimen question?
Hello, how much do you aim to write for part B? I always try to do 3 long paragraphs?! I would love a Prospero question :smile:
Original post by lucyarmstrong98
Hello, how much do you aim to write for part B? I always try to do 3 long paragraphs?! I would love a Prospero question :smile:

Me too! There would be so much to include for him! I usually do an introduction, three main poinits and then a conclusion :smile:
Reply 15

Yes, thats how much I do! How much time are you going to spend on this question?:smile:
Reply 16
If it was a character do you think it would most likely be Prospero as we had Caliban for AS last year and Miranda and Ferdinand are in the specimen question?

Yeah, that seems pretty logical, so hopefully! What about Ariel though?
Yes, thats how much I do! How much time are you going to spend on this question?:smile:

I prefer part B and know I am better at it then Part A so will aim for 45/50 minutes! ( I get extra time!!)
Reply 18
I prefer part B and know I am better at it then Part A so will aim for 45/50 minutes! ( I get extra time!!)

Okay, great thanks!!:smile:
Yeah, that seems pretty logical, so hopefully! What about Ariel though?

I think Ariel was one of this year's AS questions so I think it would be less likely but who knows!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending