The Student Room Group

C3 trig help Urgent

Solve for 0< θ<360

Cos(θ-30) = 2Sinθ

Im stuck please help, i tried expanding the brackets and solving but it seems wrong
Original post by Rockyboy
Solve for 0< θ<360

Cos(θ-30) = 2Sinθ

Im stuck please help, i tried expanding the brackets and solving but it seems wrong

How so?

cos(θ30)=cos(θ)cos(30)+sin(θ)sin(30)\cos(\theta - 30)=\cos(\theta)\cos(30)+\sin( \theta)\sin(30) Then you can get tan(θ)\tan(\theta) out of it.
Dividing by an expression with just sin and cos to get tan is a handy trick like knowing lne=1. I forgot it was best to divide by cos when I was doing a past paper and did the whole Rsin(x+a) thing when you didn't have to.
Reply 3
Original post by RDKGames
How so?

cos(θ30)=cos(θ)cos(30)+sin(θ)sin(30)\cos(\theta - 30)=\cos(\theta)\cos(30)+\sin( \theta)\sin(30) Then you can get tan(θ)\tan(\theta) out of it.

Yes but what to i do after. Cuz i got

1+tan(θ)tan(30) =2sin( θ)
Original post by Rockyboy
Yes but what to i do after. Cuz i got

1+tan(θ)tan(30) =2sin( θ)

That's wrong.

cos(θ)cos(30)+sin(θ)sin(30)=2sin(θ)\cos(\theta)\cos(30)+\sin( \theta)\sin(30) = 2\sin(\theta)

So cos(θ)cos(30)=sin(θ)[2sin(30)]\cos(\theta)\cos(30) = \sin( \theta)[2-\sin(30)]

Thus tan(θ)=cos(30)2sin(30)\tan(\theta)=\frac{\cos(30)}{2-\sin(30) }
Original post by black1blade
Dividing by an expression with just sin and cos to get tan is a handy trick like knowing lne=1. I forgot it was best to divide by cos when I was doing a past paper and did the whole Rsin(x+a) thing when you didn't have to.

dont you lose a solution if you divide by sin/cos or does that not apply to this question?
Reply 6
Original post by RDKGames
That's wrong.

cos(θ)cos(30)+sin(θ)sin(30)=2sin(θ)\cos(\theta)\cos(30)+\sin( \theta)\sin(30) = 2\sin(\theta)

So cos(θ)cos(30)=sin(θ)[2sin(30)]\cos(\theta)\cos(30) = \sin( \theta)[2-\sin(30)]

Thus tan(θ)=cos(30)2sin(30)\tan(\theta)=\frac{\cos(30)}{2-\sin(30) }

I got it thx
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Never mind im being stupid. i get it now thank you very much
Original post by ForestShadow
dont you lose a solution if you divide by sin/cos or does that not apply to this question?

Say if you had sinx+cosx=0 then the quickest approach is to divide by cosx. However yeah if possible you should always fractorise so if it was cos^2(x)+sinxcosx=0 you would factorise first to get cosx(cosx+sinx)=0 then say cosx=0 and cosx+sinx=0.
Original post by black1blade
Say if you had sinx+cosx=0 then the quickest approach is to divide by cosx. However yeah if possible you should always fractorise so if it was cos^2(x)+sinxcosx=0 you would factorise first to get cosx(cosx+sinx)=0 then say cosx=0 and cosx+sinx=0.

ok thanks! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest