The Student Room Group

Contract or buy a high end phone outright?

Can I have some advice please.....

I've narrowed my phone choice down to the S8 Plus or Samsung S8

I can get 10% discount if I buy a sim only phone from Argos (as I work FOR Sainsburys) and I also get 20% discount from Unidays on any mobile/sim only deal contract on 'EE' so basically the top sim only plan on EE will be £16.80 a month

Do you think a contract S8/S8 plua or sim only / buy the phone will be a better choice?

Scroll to see replies

I was in the same boat as you a couple of weeks ago.
I had a *****y Moto G4 on a SIM-Only contract, Unlimited Data/Texts and some mins for £25. However I found myself using only 12-16GB of it. So I just entered a contract and got an S8 from Carphone, 16GB on Vodafone for only 5 pounds more.

In my opinion, if you have the money to buy both the S8 AND a SIM-Only, go for it my dude. If you don't, I'd go into a contract, honestly. The S8 will probably last a long time anyway, and so it will end up outliving the contract and getting a better sim anyway.

If you're trying to budget, and don't want a 30+ pound contract (or 20+ if you're trying to limit your usage), then go SIM-only and go for the J-Series, older S models, OnePlus, Xiaomi, etc. Which can perform at roughly the same level as flagship S Models (though the OnePlus 5, bloated it's stats slightly).
Same boat as you 2 months ago.

Contract just looked bloody expensive but I do use my phone a lot.

I'd go contract if you use your phone a lot outside the house. SIM only if you can afford it now and you're not too worried about using up your data.
Reply 3
Original post by BTAnonymous
Same boat as you 2 months ago.

Contract just looked bloody expensive but I do use my phone a lot.

I'd go contract if you use your phone a lot outside the house. SIM only if you can afford it now and you're not too worried about using up your data.

The reason why I'm thinking sim only is because I can buy the phone from Argos and get 10% discount....,,

I can then get an EE 12 month sim only for £16.80 and I get 20GB data a month.

If I get the S8 plus on a contract I think I'll have to pay like £50 a month....
Original post by 3mmz
The reason why I'm thinking sim only is because I can buy the phone from Argos and get 10% discount....,,

I can then get an EE 12 month sim only for £16.80 and I get 20GB data a month.

If I get the S8 plus on a contract I think I'll have to pay like £50 a month....

OOooh. Now that's difficult lol.

I think you should actually go for the sim only. That's a really good deal that; 20GB a month lolol netflix for days.
Reply 5
Original post by AryanGh
I was in the same boat as you a couple of weeks ago.
I had a *****y Moto G4 on a SIM-Only contract, Unlimited Data/Texts and some mins for £25. However I found myself using only 12-16GB of it. So I just entered a contract and got an S8 from Carphone, 16GB on Vodafone for only 5 pounds more.

In my opinion, if you have the money to buy both the S8 AND a SIM-Only, go for it my dude. If you don't, I'd go into a contract, honestly. The S8 will probably last a long time anyway, and so it will end up outliving the contract and getting a better sim anyway.

If you're trying to budget, and don't want a 30+ pound contract (or 20+ if you're trying to limit your usage), then go SIM-only and go for the J-Series, older S models, OnePlus, Xiaomi, etc. Which can perform at roughly the same level as flagship S Models (though the OnePlus 5, bloated it's stats slightly).

Hmmm I'm debating

If I buy the S8 plus outright it's going to cost like £700 with 10% discount from Argos which is slot to spend on a phone

Btw how are you finding the S8?
Original post by 3mmz
Hmmm I'm debating

If I buy the S8 plus outright it's going to cost like £700 with 10% discount from Argos which is slot to spend on a phone

Btw how are you finding the S8?

Using to send this right now! The display is amazing, colours are so vivid and it's very fast, the battery life isn't hampered by this either! I've managed 20 hours and I'm still on 33%, it's no Nokia Brick, but it certainly is good when it comes to modern phones
Reply 7
Original post by BTAnonymous
OOooh. Now that's difficult lol.

I think you should actually go for the sim only. That's a really good deal that; 20GB a month lolol netflix for days.

But £700 upfront for a phone is a lot
That's how much the S8 plus will cost
In the end a contract will almost always cost more than the phone, the only benefit is you pay in monthly instalments. Your better off getting a SIM free device and a SIM only contract or PAYG.
Original post by 3mmz
But £700 upfront for a phone is a lot
That's how much the S8 plus will cost

Yeah it is. How long till you have the money?

Long term outright is better, especially with that sim contract.
Reply 10
Original post by AryanGh
Using to send this right now! The display is amazing, colours are so vivid and it's very fast, the battery life isn't hampered by this either! I've managed 20 hours and I'm still on 33%, it's no Nokia Brick, but it certainly is good when it comes to modern phones

Wow
Maybe I should go for the smaller S8 rather than the biggest S8 Plus.

Do you prefer it to the iPhone?
Reply 11
If you ring the EE customer service line as a prospective customer then haggle a good deal, you can usually stack the offer they've given you with the Unidays coupon.

I'm currently on an EE contract with the S8 Plus and over 24 months, I'll have paid around £5 less than the retail cost of the phone - and, I get my airtime.

Bargain.
Original post by 3mmz
Wow
Maybe I should go for the smaller S8 rather than the biggest S8 Plus.

Do you prefer it to the iPhone?

The S8 feels just big enough for my hands, of course this can vary from person to person, but S8+ to me is just too big.

There's much more scope for customization on an S8 than an iPhone, I connect it to my Samsung Gear S3 and the S8 compatibility works wonders
Reply 13
Original post by IWMTom
If you ring the EE customer service line as a prospective customer then haggle a good deal, you can usually stack the offer they've given you with the Unidays coupon.

I'm currently on an EE contract with the S8 Plus and over 24 months, I'll have paid around £5 less than the retail cost of the phone - and, I get my airtime.

Bargain.

How much do you pay a month may I ask? Did you use your Unidays discount
Reply 14
Original post by 3mmz
How much do you pay a month may I ask? Did you use your Unidays discount

Yep I did, after haggling. Got it down to £32 a month - the phone costs £779 retail and I'm paying £768 over 24 months for airtime too!

Maybe I just got lucky. Who knows.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 3mmz
Can I have some advice please.....

I've narrowed my phone choice down to the S8 Plus or Samsung S8

I can get 10% discount if I buy a sim only phone from Argos (as I work FOR Sainsburys) and I also get 20% discount from Unidays on any mobile/sim only deal contract on 'EE' so basically the top sim only plan on EE will be £16.80 a month

Do you think a contract S8/S8 plua or sim only / buy the phone will be a better choice?

i am planning on buying the s8 plus for 500 pounds
I bought by current iphone outright.. and got a sim only deal from o2. its best to always buy a phone outright which gives you flexibility and freedom to do what you want with it.

and the longer you stay with a company the better prices they will give you for a sim only deal as times goes on.
Reply 17
Original post by IWMTom
Yep I did, after haggling. Got it down to £32 a month - the phone costs £779 retail and I'm paying £768 over 24 months for airtime too!

Maybe I just got lucky. Who knows.

Yeah thats a great deal!

Can you do uni days over the phone?

How much data are you getting?
Reply 18
Original post by sachinisgod
I bought by current iphone outright.. and got a sim only deal from o2. its best to always buy a phone outright which gives you flexibility and freedom to do what you want with it.

and the longer you stay with a company the better prices they will give you for a sim only deal as times goes on.

How much did you get your phone for?
Reply 19
Original post by study beats
i am planning on buying the s8 plus for 500 pounds

Ebay?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending