The Student Room Group

Advice on doing business with someone over seas

Hi all,

So this is the situation. I started a business and was working with a supplier in China. The contract signed was £1000 50% upfront and 50% after delivery of the product.

I paid the 50% upfront, he then started work on my samples. He eventually found out he is unable to continue the project as what I wanted to do he was unable to achieve.

I was fuming as he basically stole £500 off me. I asked him kindly for a refund as he never fulfilled the contract. He then went on to say, you took a risk knowing that I might not be able to fulfill the project needs ( he never told me this prior ).

Is there anything I can do? The contract has not been met and I want to take legal action which I think is impossible considering I live in the UK.

How is this fair that he takes 50% doesn't even deliver anything at all?

Any advice please.
Reply 1
If he never mentioned this previously in the contract then it is not legally binding and he has therefore broken the contract. TBH it all depends on how you even found him, was it on a site where they're trusted or somewhere you can report/complain about this issue. If his business is public and known then it may be possible you can get an international lawyer to negate his wrongdoings and sue for the business as he has broken the contract.
Reply 2
Original post by metroplex
If he never mentioned this previously in the contract then it is not legally binding and he has therefore broken the contract. TBH it all depends on how you even found him, was it on a site where they're trusted or somewhere you can report/complain about this issue. If his business is public and known then it may be possible you can get an international lawyer to negate his wrongdoings and sue for the business as he has broken the contract.

Yes it's a proper company, thing is how hard is it getting an international lawyer, if it's gonna cost me more then what it's worth do I just take the L.

He also said he would refund me "part of the money" he asked for my details and never send the money.

I sent one more kind email asking for an update regarding the refund

I really want to take matters further
Reply 3
Give us an update, what's happened now?
Original post by Anonymous
Yes it's a proper company, thing is how hard is it getting an international lawyer, if it's gonna cost me more then what it's worth do I just take the L.

He also said he would refund me "part of the money" he asked for my details and never send the money.

I sent one more kind email asking for an update regarding the refund

I really want to take matters further
Yeesh, I'm obv too late but the answer is 'Don't'.
Reply 5
Original post by metroplex
Give us an update, what's happened now?

I got £50 back from the £500 I sent him.

His excuse was "this is what business is about" " you need to take risks". Proper non-ethical business and person. Imagine paying £500 for someone to say, unfortunately we can't do what you asked us to do and we're not gonna pay you back
:frown: i don't have advice, but i would stop working with them
Original post by beautifulworld
:frown: i don't have advice, but i would stop working with them

You'd stop doing business with the person outright mocking you about ripping you off?

Well yea you'd hope so :tongue:
Reply 8
Definitely a learning curve and maybe this is what business is about, learning from your mistakes/suppliers.

Some tips:

Definitely get everything in writing via a contract, INCLUDING a refund clause if the company cannot supply the product.

- only deal with reputable suppliers, honestly don't try to find a cheap deal. I'd rather pay an extra 20% now with a high quality reputable supplier then try and save costs and deal with a Hassel of low quality products.

- If you ever get his by a hurdle in your business, it's part of the journey!!!

Good luck all to those having/starting their businesses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending