The Student Room Group

How to fix the BBC gender pay gap

The most easist way to fix the BBC gender pay gap is to cut the salaries of the men so they are paid the same as the women in the same role. Job done, go home and have a cuppa.

Then the BBC will have more money to invest into comendy since that has been dead on the BBC for many years now.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Big_Jon
The most easist way to fix the BBC gender pay gap is to cut the salaries of the men so they are paid the same as the women in the same role. Job done, go home and have a cuppa.

Then the BBC will have more money to invest into comendy since that has been dead on the BBC for many years now.

Well if bbc doesn't sort it out gendet reassignment enmasse
Reply 2
Original post by Getinthegutter
Well if bbc doesn't sort it out gendet reassignment enmasse

What are you talking about?
Reply 3
Yup, and do it publicly so they can't fight it without losing their own popularity. They'll most likely be offered a job elsewhere and take it, but that works too.
Reply 4
Original post by ThomH97
Yup, and do it publicly so they can't fight it without losing their own popularity. They'll most likely be offered a job elsewhere and take it, but that works too.

Yep. If anyone complains, it just shows they are greedy. I thought it be a honour to work at the BBC, the former great insituation it use to be.
Reply 5
Noooo, really?(!)
by god sherlock you've done it again
Alternative theory: Fire them all. No gap if there's no wages.

Though some of the claims of people in the same job earning different salaries are bull****. People often forget that experience in the field, time spent with the network and audience numbers they bring in will result in different pay.
What if all the males suddenly identify as women? You should negotiate your own salary.
Reply 10
Original post by Big_Jon

I would say cut the men's salaries to half and raise the women's salaries to equal that.

The women seem to have been paid far too little in my opinion :biggrin: and the men an excessively high amount.

The BBC still have a lot of money, they're just spending it on the wrong boring stuff.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Alternative theory: Fire them all. No gap if there's no wages.

Even better idea... Enslave them, maintain output and save money.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fire them all and hire genderless robots in their stead. That way no one gets paid anything and everyone is on a level playing field.

You can't simply cut a man's earnings and hand it to a woman on the basis of equality...
Surely the simplest way would be to make public everyone's salary. It is secrecy that allows for discrimination. If it is public knowledge who gets paid what, then as long as you can justify getting paid more, job done. I really don't understand why it is so hush hush.
Gender pay gap. Hmm, 2 entertainers. one is earning more than other. The one earning more is more popular, hard working and got more views, another is less popular and earns less money.

Suddenly stupidity and greed crawls in and starts screaming about the gender gap, equality and other BS, everyone goes crazy.
Original post by Racoon

The women seem to have been paid far too little in my opinion :biggrin:

Like who? Everyone on that list is paid more than our Prime Minister.
Original post by Big_Jon

It's not as simple as that, we are talking the Humph being brought down to the same salary as a new presenter. People have been in their roles for different lengths of time and even the notion that they do 'the same job' is far from a given. Humphreys hosts Mastermind and that will be a well paid gig going into his pot, Vine hosts Eggheads, they all have their fingers on a few pies and that makes it pointless to say all presenters on Today ought to be paid the same.
Reply 17
Original post by ThomH97
Like who? Everyone on that list is paid more than our Prime Minister.

That was a bit tongue in cheek.

You forget how much extra income MP's make on second jobs. Perhaps when they reach PM status they won't be unable to do much outside of the primary role but, you only have to look at the breakdown on the link below to see in a year, some are capable of earning in excess of £700,000.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/investigations/11428075/The-MPs-who-topped-up-their-salaries-with-1600-an-hour-second-jobs.html

I should imagine that most of the cabinet are from backgrounds that enable them to have property, stocks and shares etc bringing in a nice sum each year as a top up to the measly £60-140k salary pa.
Original post by Racoon
That was a bit tongue in cheek.

You forget how much extra income MP's make on second jobs. Perhaps when they reach PM status they won't be unable to do much outside of the primary role but, you only have to look at the breakdown on the link below to see in a year, some are capable of earning in excess of £700,000.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/investigations/11428075/The-MPs-who-topped-up-their-salaries-with-1600-an-hour-second-jobs.html

I should imagine that most of the cabinet are from backgrounds that enable them to have property, stocks and shares etc bringing in a nice sum each year as a top up to the measly £60-140k salary pa.

Okay, but who on that (BBC) list do you think is underpaid? Effectively the BBC is using our money to buy champagne for themselves, and we've got people complaining that the champagne isn't being shared with BBC women. If a company overcharges you and splits the bonus 70:30 between two employees, do you give the 30% person more money or do you demand the excess back?
Original post by Meany Pie
Even better idea... Enslave them, maintain output and save money.

O dam I've been outdone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending