The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do anymore

I'm doing my A2 exams this year, currently sitting on A in SSD (with potential to get A* at A2), a high C in Maths and a very very low C in Physics. My goal in life has always been to go into software development or something of the type and for the past couple of years I've been very interested in doing a degree apprenticeship, as I am passionate about the subject but I discovered during the pandemic that I have absolutely no motivation to work when not in a structured environment (most people around me have agreed that I wouldn't be able to cope in uni). Every so often I get into a mindset of questioning if I want to pursue software development or if I've just been conditioned and pressured by my environment to believe that. I don't think I can hit the BBC grades I need to get accepted into any degree apprenticeship OR do successfully in the interview process. I likely have ADHD/Autism but with being afab getting a diagnosis is extremely difficult especially now - I was referred to the adult health service last year (i had turned 17 and the children's system could do nothing for me) but at some point my referral had become for the childrens service and i ended up getting screened and told pretty much that a diagnosis would ruin my life, meaning I can't access help or support for people like me. Every time I try to research courses I get overwhelmed by the sheer number of ones with similar names (see: ulster university) and i just. need help. please
Plan a gap-year.

This takes all the pressure off you to 'decide' on a Uni subject and removes all the hysteria about 'geting an offer' which can be a real distraction during Year 13. Just get on with your A levels - talk to your teacher about raising that C grade and go for the best possible grades you can get.

For your gap-year, get a job, any job, and earn some cash, then do some travel (https://www.explore.co.uk/ etc) - nowhere does it say that you can only go to Uni straight from school. Then think about what you want to do next - and not just 'Uni'.

And btw, an autism diagnosis will not 'ruin your life', talk to the SEN person at your school and get this sorted out.
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Plan a gap-year.

This takes all the pressure off you to 'decide' on a Uni subject and removes all the hysteria about 'geting an offer' which can be a real distraction during Year 13. Just get on with your A levels - talk to your teacher about raising that C grade and go for the best possible grades you can get.

For your gap-year, get a job, any job, and earn some cash, then do some travel (https://www.explore.co.uk/ etc) - nowhere does it say that you can only go to Uni straight from school. Then think about what you want to do next - and not just 'Uni'.

And btw, an autism diagnosis will not 'ruin your life', talk to the SEN person at your school and get this sorted out.

I dont think my family would be ok with me taking a gap year, and i think the main degree apprenticeship im considering accepts people unless they're in the process of doing their a-levels, which really puts a solid "no" on that idea, as much as I'd love to.

I've spoken to SEN people at my school and they've agreed with what you've said but in my case specifically I think a diagnosis would amplify other issues in my life, specifically with getting access to gender affirming healthcare - I've heard real horror stories of people diagnosed with autism/adhd being refused access to HRT due to their prior diagnoses.
Thank you for your advice
Original post by carp200
I dont think my family would be ok with me taking a gap year, and i think the main degree apprenticeship im considering accepts people unless they're in the process of doing their a-levels, which really puts a solid "no" on that idea, as much as I'd love to.

I've spoken to SEN people at my school and they've agreed with what you've said but in my case specifically I think a diagnosis would amplify other issues in my life, specifically with getting access to gender affirming healthcare - I've heard real horror stories of people diagnosed with autism/adhd being refused access to HRT due to their prior diagnoses.
Thank you for your advice

Hi, how did your a level exams go? Results day is around the corner how are you feeling
Reply 4
Original post by Shaylahnaomi
Hi, how did your a level exams go? Results day is around the corner how are you feeling

horribly lmao i think ive failed it all hahahaha
Aw im sure u did better than u think and if not well done for completing the exams! Exam period is not easy and the end is in really near sight Good luck for today we are all here for u at TSR if u need anything :smile:
Original post by carp200
horribly lmao i think ive failed it all hahahaha

How did you do?

Quick Reply

Latest