The Student Room Group

Am I a mean person?

I’m living back with my parents over my gap year- have one job which starts in a few weeks- got another interview Wednesday so I want to earn money and be independent desperately after living like a bum for three months (couldn’t get a job) so my parents have been paying for everything.

But they use it and hold it over me- that they pay for stuff atm when I have made the effort to get jobs. My friends have waited ages to get jobs and their parents have acted similarly. I loved living on my own last year so much- I could keep my parents at a distance and not have to tell them everything.

I have no friends back home and friends I do have live far away. I think I’m just frustrated bc the only people I interact with now are my family and they’re over bearing. I can’t wait to start working. But anyway- my mum gaslights me and drives me nuts. I hang washing out, unload the dishwasher or hoover- not everyday but when she asks me to. But she moans about how I do it “the washing was too close together, why can’t you do it properly” etc. I do it how I thought and how I did it when I lived on my own. Then when I snap and tell my mum she’s being ridiculous she says I’m nasty. I’m not, I’m just not a push over. My sisters think my mum is fussy and whines too much (we call her Karen).

I know people might say “move out” but it’s honestly not financially possible atm- if I could then I def would. But yeah- am I nasty to my mum?
Reply 1
Yes - her house.

You are just so lucky to have someone who will step in and pay for the bills etc. But this is also a power struggle between you and her; and she finds you as irritating as you find her overbearing, despite the fact she (hopefully) loves you.

Good luck finding a new place to live and of getting a job
Yes.
Reply 3
Yes.

And your Ma shouldn't need to ask you to do stuff that needs doing. You share the house so you ought to share the load without being prompted.
(edited 8 months ago)
Yeah, that's not gaslighting
Original post by Anonymous
I’m living back with my parents over my gap year- have one job which starts in a few weeks- got another interview Wednesday so I want to earn money and be independent desperately after living like a bum for three months (couldn’t get a job) so my parents have been paying for everything.

But they use it and hold it over me- that they pay for stuff atm when I have made the effort to get jobs. My friends have waited ages to get jobs and their parents have acted similarly. I loved living on my own last year so much- I could keep my parents at a distance and not have to tell them everything.

I have no friends back home and friends I do have live far away. I think I’m just frustrated bc the only people I interact with now are my family and they’re over bearing. I can’t wait to start working. But anyway- my mum gaslights me and drives me nuts. I hang washing out, unload the dishwasher or hoover- not everyday but when she asks me to. But she moans about how I do it “the washing was too close together, why can’t you do it properly” etc. I do it how I thought and how I did it when I lived on my own. Then when I snap and tell my mum she’s being ridiculous she says I’m nasty. I’m not, I’m just not a push over. My sisters think my mum is fussy and whines too much (we call her Karen).

I know people might say “move out” but it’s honestly not financially possible atm- if I could then I def would. But yeah- am I nasty to my mum?

You need to fix up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending